Metrolink Challenge

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
dwmcload
Zone 1

Re: Metrolink Challenge

Post by dwmcload »

I will do it, and I will publish it, also producing some videos.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

dwmcload wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 14:51 I will do it, and I will publish it, also producing some videos.
Just so you're aware for next time, people on here don't tend to reveal routes for any form of challenge on here. It's not because people are being unhelpful or obtuse but predominantly because we have all had to do it the hard way - research a route from scratch, make it all fit together, go out and test it, set a time, repeat if you want to improve your time. There is plenty of resource on this forum in various posts going back many years and on the web for pretty much all the challenges so its up to you to go looking for it :) Also, there will always be some 'trade secrets' that people most definitely won't want to give away just as in real life!

By all means ask for some pointers or directions and people may be happy to help but don't expect the whole answer to anything - none of us were given that at the start :wink:
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
dwmcload
Zone 1

Post by dwmcload »

I understand that, but hopefully, it doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't publish it.
I did not expect anyone else, especially not the record holder to give me a route to accomplish, I was just eager to see how he got that record.
My first three timetabling attempts showed me a minimum of 6 hours and 2 minutes to complete the journey.
Since I spent on it another one and a half-day and now I'm down theoretically to 5 hours and 10 minutes.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

dwmcload wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 16:16 I understand that, but hopefully, it doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't publish it.
I did not expect anyone else, especially not the record holder to give me a route to accomplish, I was just eager to see how he got that record.
My first three timetabling attempts showed me a minimum of 6 hours and 2 minutes to complete the journey.
Since I spent on it another one and a half-day and now I'm down theoretically to 5 hours and 10 minutes.
If you want to publish your route, you are more than free to. I think the point that I was trying to get across was that just because you may want to, others are unlikely to do the same.

Sounds like you've got a great time on paper but as any seasoned challenger will know, times on paper translated into real life can (and tend to) be very different! If it works first time then you should consider yourself very pleased. If it doesn't, don't be disheartened because you will have learnt a lot from your attempt. You need 3 things to set a good time - a good route, a good service and a good slice of luck! :)
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

Good example I don't publish my world record route for a reason only 3 people know it but it's the best route I ever came up with and can be improved on so I'm saving that just in case. But yeah it took me two years to do my route I be blowed if I give it away for free
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
dwmcload
Zone 1

Post by dwmcload »

You are fine. I think the Metrolink challenge quite simpler than the FNC in London. Anyway what’s your time, the world record?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

dwmcload wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 18:22 You are fine. I think the Metrolink challenge quite simpler than the FNC in London. Anyway what’s your time, the world record?
For the Metrolink challenge I assume Al's record is still good as per viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2174&start=30#p106902

For the FNC, 15hrs, 45mins, 38secs https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wo ... -stations/
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

dstock17 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 23:22 He is also a bit repetive repetive 😃
:D
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
dwmcload
Zone 1

Post by dwmcload »

I will try the Metrolink Challenge the day after tomorrow, 02/10/2019 starting from Rochdale Town Centre at 09:06. If anyone wants to meet, I'll be there around half an hour earlier. Just leave a message here so we can find each other.
I'll do live videos on our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/travelmcfamily/

Note: before the edit, I planned to do the challenge on Tuesday, but because of unforeseen family circumstances, I had to delay it with a day.
dwmcload
Zone 1

Post by dwmcload »

On the 2nd of October, 2019, I attempted the Manchester Metrolink Challenge. Actually, twice, but later about that.
I posted the same text alongside with images to my Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/travelmcfamily ... 3501024470
It was a bright, sunny day, but a little bit cold quarter to 8 when I approached the first tram stop of the day. I got to Rochdale very quickly and started the Challenge at 09:06 as my plan. I went from Rochdale to Bury via Victoria, and from Bury towards Altrincham all the way. On that tram, I had to realize - it just suddenly came into my mind - I missed a single stop - Exchange Square - from my route plan. After a few minutes of struggle in my mind, I decided the only option I have left is giving up.
A side note, my phone's battery was almost drowned at this point, so I urgently needed a charger or USB slot. So I headed back to city center with a 263 from Arriva, with nice USB sockets next to each seat. It takes a bit more time than the tram, but at least I had time to plan a new route and to see if there is possible to do with all the stops and even quicker. Given the fact I spent days, if not weeks to come up with a route which on paper was 5:34 around 90s quicker than the current record, I surprised myself I was able to found a route which is not just completes all stop for real but is around ~5:20, so there is at least a full tram frequency (12 minutes) reserve in it. So from the center I headed back to Rochdale (with train now) to start over.

It was around 5 hours later than my original start, and I did the Rochdale - Victoria - Bury - Victoria route again and down to Piccadilly and out to Ashton. The return tram from Bury just closed to door in front of my nose, so I had to wait 6 minutes and I got behind the schedule. The interesting things started there. My route includes two train connections, the first one from Ashton to Victoria. With the 6 minutes delay, I would miss the train in Ashton and would be 30 minutes down, loosing the Challenge again. But, the train was 35 minutes late when I come into the city from Bury. Regardless of that I decided on Piccadilly to go for it and try what will happen. Actually the train's delay was less and less over the time, and when I got to Ashton by the tram, I had to run out my soul to catch the formally late train. It arrived in time to Victoria, where I got struck between other passengers, and the gate also hold me up for precious moments. Luckily I just caught the tram towards East Didsbury. From there, another train connection was in the route, towards the Airport. The tram was late this time, so it was another run for me. I was surprised again, because I was able to complete the run very quickly, just to realize the train was delayed. It was hold up between Deansgate and Oxford Road, than Piccadilly and no train come to EDY for more than 25 minutes towards the Airport. When I got to the Airport, I was again 30 minutes behind my schedule and decided to give up for the second time on that day.

I spent around 9 hours on trams and trains (and some waiting and running) and collected really precious experience, but wasn't able to complete the Challenge, not even to beat the record on my first two tries. In the morning, the traffic was much better, my original plan to start it around the end of the morning peak time was ideal, and it should not be started and carried out afternoon. Now I also have experience about run and connection times between tram and trains and sometimes between trams.
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

On 17th February 2020,I was in Manchester, so thought I would try to visit all 93 Metrolink stations. Success. My finishing time was 5 hours, 27 mins and 56 secs, which I think is a new world record, beating Al's time of 5 hours, 35 mins and 16 secs by just over 7 mins. I have submitted evidence to Tangy and hopefully this will be added to the explorer ticket challenge times.

The Trafford Centre line opened on 22nd March, so there are now 99 stations on Metrolink and a new world record is waiting to be set.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
dwmcload
Zone 1

Post by dwmcload »

In a few moments time, I'm heading into town and I will try the Metrolink Challenge again, this time together with the Trafford Park line and probably setting up a new or at least hear not announced record if I can finish it hopefully.
EastActionWoman
Zone 4

Post by EastActionWoman »

Good luck and hope the weather is kind to you!
Not a plus one :wink:
Roads, Streets and Lanes (2020-08-28) 3:46:16
Prague metro (2020-02-18) 2:27:56
All the Actons (2021-11-20) 0:42:34
dwmcload
Zone 1

Post by dwmcload »

Thank you very much! When you are on the tram 5-6 hours a day weather is not that important at least for me. I usually go by bike and there was some quite wet days and roads in the recent weeks. :)
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

How did this go?
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds