Did "all lines" today.

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yes indeed, we did use the DLR between Shadwell and Bank.

The key to our time was waiting at the start for the right combination of SSL trains ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

yep! have looked like a lemon at stations before by waiting for the "exact same" train which is 7 minutes behind it.
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

Hi There

Should be tryin an all lines on monday.
I remember a book a couple of years ago with carriages to get on for interchanges- anyone know if its still in print?

Cheers
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

You're probably thinking of the "Way Out" tube map, which is (or at least was prior to Tube Relief) available from Stanfords in Long Acre, a short walk from Covent Garden and Leicester Square.

It is, however, not the most accurate guide in existence, and doesn't cover most of the Jubilee Line Extension, for example.

HTH,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

it was written pre-JLE and when i went into stanfords to ask for it they said it was out of print.

try amazon?
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

In fact, many of the original Jubilee Line door positions will be wrong, as many of the stopping positions were changed to accommodate the 7th car.

I might be wrong here, but it may also have been written in mind of 7-car trains on the Northern, as opposed to 6-(longer) car 95TS.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

It does say to get on the 7th car of the Northern line somewhere but in the key it says that the Northern has only 6 cars.
It doesn't seem to give information for the East London line either.
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Great.
Last Day Off I'll Get For Months Where The Tube Isn't In Sardine Mode and I Have No Idea Of Platforms, if the book exists or even if it does, its right. Think this challenge willl be undermined somewhat...
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

eek, times are changing. perhaps there's a niche in the market for a new version of the clever tube hopper? any one of us could do it...
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

No, do not trust the Way Out Guide! At 2005 Zone 1 Challenge, I and Patrick lost 5(!) minutes being in the wrong end of a NB Jub train into Green Park! :evil: BEWARE!

Luckily we had the time to spare! :D

Having said that, the Way Out Guide helped us A LOT in many other places. Saves a lot of preparatory legwork and tedious documentation.
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

I like that idea. What say anyone to a division of labour (Line by Line Perhaps) just to get the whole thing done? Maybe regionally (Id Rather Not Go To Chesham Just to find out what carriage to get off at, but would happilly do the Piccadilly & Northern Lines)
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

well you could cheat and do it only for tubechallenge purposes, in which case it'd only be necessary to visit interchange stations, and anything where an overground run is possible....
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

We could do this between us. Obviously at interchange stations there would be lots of different movements to consider (i.e. not just Northbound Bakerloo to Northbound Victoria at Oxford Circus, but also Northbound Victoria to Southbound Bakerloo, just as an example, like).

But then by doing this, whilst getting together as a big community in an effort to do something really good, are we also removing one very big element of tube challenging by doing this?

<Speech mode - stood at a podium, with either 'Land of Hope and Glory' or 'Abide with Me' playing in the background, gradually crescendoing towards the end of the speech>

Part of the art of tube challenging is putting the time and dedication into doing the neccessary recces oneself - by compiling these into a book, are we not removing a large part of the spirit of what Tube Challenging is all about?

If we do this, where will it end? How long will it be before some smart programmer with access to the full timetables just writes a program whereby all the user has to do is press one button (and occasionally updating the timetables) and instantly gets given a route that's guaranteed to break the world record (assuming everything runs as it should, which is beyond anyone's control in any case)??

By doing this we are removing the very essence of the tube challenge. No longer will people while away their days waiting for trains to work out how many carriages from the front they need to be to be best placed to leg it out of Edgware Road (Bakerloo) to get over to the Wimbleware line. No longer will people spend time at Camden Town learning the best way to change from one branch to another. Such a project would kill off the very spirit of the Tube Challenge, and should never take place.

SAVE THE TUBE CHALLENGE!

Reply to this to sign my own makeshift DIY online petition to prevent such a project from ever taking place.

Or something.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

*cries and cheers in admiration*
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I disagree. Such a planner would be rather good. Geoff has made one with carriage and door positions and everything.

If you want a marvellous, magnificent Tube Challenge Planner, make it yourself!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk