Tumbleweed Scores

The game you either hate or really hate!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tumbleweed Scores

Post by GuyBarry »

If any of the long-standing players of this game can explain to me why there's any advantage to posting a deliberate spoiler, I'd really like to know. It resets the clock in exactly the same way as a valid claim, but you sacrifice the points. Or have I missed something?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The idea of spoilers is to prevent people claiming large numbers of bells. It is most effective if a long period of time has elapsed before you post it. This is especially true if the time is around six or seven in the morning, as this is when some people would wake up and check the forum.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Yeah, but you can do that with a valid claim and get the points yourself. That's the bit I don't get.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

People may wish to do it to simply be annoying.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Fair enough I suppose...

Of the two spoilers you've posted so far, the first actually helped me (because it prevented DavidC from making a larger claim and potentially taking the lead). The second didn't make a great deal of difference.

I don't want to give away all my game tactics, but I can't imagine a scenario where I'd ever want to post a deliberate spoiler. Your call of course.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:This might be annoying for GuyBarry, for example.
Not really. I'm still in first place (which is unlikely to change soon) and you're still in fourth place. If you'd posted a valid claim instead of a spoiler, you'd now be in third place, and you'd have reset the clock in exactly the same way. At least that's how I see it.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yeah, that was quite remiss of me, isn't it?

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tubeguru, are you playing a different game from everyone else?

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

No, I'm playing Tumbleweed.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:Have you still not worked it out?
Well I know what I'm trying to do, which is to maintain my lead. I have one serious challenger (DavidC) and I'm using various tactics to try to hold him off.

I have no idea what you're doing at all. If your last five posts have been valid claims rather than spoilers, you would now be on 3845 (I think) instead of 600 and in third place, and it would have made no difference whatsoever to the state of play between the other players.

I'll carry on playing my game, and you can carry on playing yours.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I don't see why you think I'm playing a different game to you. Spoilers are in the rules, so I'm hardly doing anything radical.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I know they're in the rules. I just don't see any advantage to posting a spoiler over a valid claim.

Imagine if it was a game of tennis. It'd be like giving each player the option, whenever they served an unplayable ball, of either claiming the point or not claiming the point.

I really don't care what you do, but if you have the opportunity of increasing your own score or not increasing your own score, when everything else stays the same, why would you choose not to?

moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

He's doing it because it annoys you.

Whats more annoying that realising the TubeGuru just got 10 bells? Realing that TubeGuru just played a spoiler which threw away 10 bells which either he or you could have claimed.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

moley wrote:He's doing it because it annoys you.

Whats more annoying that realising the TubeGuru just got 10 bells? Realing that TubeGuru just played a spoiler which threw away 10 bells which either he or you could have claimed.
It doesn't annoy me in the slightest. I'm in the lead. My only credible opponent is DavidC. Why would I care about someone who's over 14,000 points behind me? I keep an eye on the genuine competition.

moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

For reference, Tube Guru posted an invalid claim, nor a spoiler. Therefore I can go again. :-)

Valid claim requires whole integer claim greater than zero.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.