Running the Tube Lines

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
BadWabbit
Zone 1

Running the Tube Lines

Post by BadWabbit »

Hi everyone! Well what a wealth of information about performing the 'tube challenge' - great stuff.

Thought you all might be interested in something I'm doing, which is not a million miles off the conventional challenge. Since November, I have been working my way through running (on foot) the entire length of every line and every branch of the LU, including the DLR. I've measured this all out to be approx 400 miles worth of journey! So far I've completed over 120 miles worth of this in ten runs.

I maintain a blog of the runs, and the photos: http://runningthetubelines.blogspot.com/

I initially started out doing this as a purely physical challenge, as a seven-time marathoner and triathlete. Since then it has transformed to me using it as a vehicle to raise awareness about stillbirth and neonatal death, and to raise funds for the charity SANDS.

Anyway, you can read all about my progress on my website - feel free to suggest some of the best (and worst) parts of the network that I haven't yet done!

One thing I was wondering was regarding the Heathrow Airport section - although as commuters it might not be so much of a problem; I will have to run around the perimeter road from T4 to T5 and then ultimately underneath the airport to get to T123. Presumably I would need to seek permission for this but do you know who I might contact?

Best
Steve
Running 400 miles to raise awareness about stillbirth and neonatal death. Follow me! http://runningthetubelines.blogspot.com/ :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Running the Tube Lines

Post by tubeguru »

For Heathrow Airport, you're probably looking at contacting BAA for permission.

And I think I've seen your site before through someone else's blog post. So, er hello!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Re: Running the Tube Lines

Post by Root »

I ran from Chesham to Chalfont & Latimer once, the day before a Zone 1 event. When I told someone the next day, all they had to say was "were there no trains?". I imagine you've had a lot of people questioning why you would do all that running too. Good luck with the rest of it!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings