Tube Challenging?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Tube Challenging?

Post by TheFatBuoy »

So, how's everyone doing. Obviously we're all keen to break Geoff and Neil's record, and the big part of it is in the planning - so what's the closest anyone's got in the planning stages, and how do you all go about planning - pencil and eraser on a peper tube map? Highlighter pen?

I myself opt for good old Windows Paint, rubbing bits out as I go - makes it very easy to track duplications too. Along with everything neatly laid out in Excel, and with the TFL JourneyPlanner to hand (though sometimes you need to encourage it to go the way you want to go).

And what's the quickest "in theory" time people have worked out, and how realistic it is? My first half-decent time comes into Upminster at 00:17, and that includes only allowing for a 3mph average walking speed for all the road links. The fat bastard's way of tube challenging. I reckon it'll catch on.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Well I'm using <a href="http://www.w3.org/Amaya/" target="_blank">Amaya</a> from the W3C to make a nice HTMLified plan, along with printed copies of the Black and White version of the tube map to check my route.

There is one small problem to be contended with in that the Metropolitan Line and several of the TOCs are currently using "Leaf Fall" timetables, making for extended journey times (e.g. the 0528 from Amersham currently leaves at 0525).

This also means that, for an Upminster finish, to beat the record you need to be on no later than the 2318 from Mile End, arriving 2351.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

mine comes in to Upminster at 00:31 according to the Journey Planner
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

jonny wrote:mine comes in to Upminster at 00:31 according to the Journey Planner

Neil, calm yourself...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

What, cos he's using Journey Planner, or that he's 26 minutes slower than us? :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

So does anyone have any winter tube challenge plans then?

Anyone brave enough to go out in the cold and try to beat us? :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

what happens to the record when shoreditch closes? and when does shoreditch close?
I plan to attempt to get around the stations in a day -- although i couldn't possibly beat your record in early January.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

when shoreditch, rotherhithe and wapping close for the ELLE they'll be closed for good, so three less stations = new record needs to be set. also, when extended the whole ELL is going to be handed over to silverlink (or who ever owns the NLL and WLL by then), so won't count as part of the underground system anymore.

i think they plan to open the ELLE by 2009, but don't quote me on that.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I thought that Rotherhithe and Wapping were given a reprieve and would still be staying on the ELLE, initially at least?