ZONE 1 CHALLENGE 2005 ANNOUNCED!

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

ZONE 1 CHALLENGE 2005 ANNOUNCED!

Post by tubeguru »

After careful consultation with Ewan Spence, the organiser of the 2004 Zone 1 Challenge, we can exclusively reveal that the second Zone 1 Challenge will take place on Friday the 20th of May, 2005.

The last Challenge started at Vauxhall but this time they're making it more interesting by randomly picking the start station before setting off!

After all, if it wasn't shaken it up, everyone would just do what they did last time, and where's the fun in that?
See the 2005 Zone 1 Challenge Page for full details.

Discuss!
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

lol... theyre randomly picking the starting station, surely meaning routes cant be planned?
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

Makes it more interesting for us all doesn't it?

When Ewan suggested it in the pub last night we couldn't say no, could we? :-)
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

How exactly will it be randomly picked? Who is they? Surely every competitor should be able to pick their own start, no doubt that would make it interesting.
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

Well, Ewan organised the first one but since he's too far away and too busy to organise this one, myself and Geoff are doing it. So I suppose the 'they' are Ewan, Geoff and myself.

We put the names of the stations listed on the site in a hat or something and pull one out randomly. That's where we all start. It's too messy if everyone starts at different places.

Let's make a REAL challenge of it :-)

And of course, we won't have to change the rules for the next one - we simply pick another random station!

I think it's an inspired idea.
Adham
Zone 4

Post by Adham »

It seems that the new rules are designed to make the challenge more spontaneous and demanding. However, there is nothing to stop someone planning out 36 separate routes.
lazza747

Post by lazza747 »

Adham wrote:It seems that the new rules are designed to make the challenge more spontaneous and demanding. However, there is nothing to stop someone planning out 36 separate routes.
Indeed, no.

Unless we do strip searches before we start :-)
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Is there any possibility of changing the date as I am at school, I have 30 May until 3 June off school could it be one of those dates.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

joy54 wrote:Is there any possibility of changing the date as I am at school, I have 30 May until 3 June off school could it be one of those dates.
How can I put this succinctly?

No.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Why?
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

School Holidays may not be the best time to do any form of tubechallengeâ„¢.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

It was done before in a school holiday and that seemed from reports very sucessful.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

joy54 wrote:Why?
I asked the boys about this and they told me that they discussed several dates but the problem is that they couldn't all get time off work at the same time during the summer. It's harder booking work holidays than school holidays :D

Ewan can't do anything between the last week of July and September so they decided to bring it forward a bit. Word is that there could be a FURTHER Challenge held sometime at the end of September too.

At the end of the day, once the date has been set it's a bit unfair to change it for one person because then everyone else will moan about it so Friday the 20th of May it is. That's three months' notice.

(And Neil said he wasn't making another banner with a date changed anyway!)
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

But I'm saying bring it forward 2 weeks not to the summer holidays, and there is more than one person that goes to school on this forum?
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

OK then, let's bring the date two weeks forward.

Then we get an email from person X saying "but i can't make that then, that's the same day as...".

And so to accomodate them, we say "ok... let's bring it forward another week"

But oh no! that's the week that someone else is on holiday and so we can't do it then either... ad infinitum. You get the idea.

May the 20th it still is!