Re: Olympia Shuttle

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

District Dave is a legend isnt he.?
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

<Geoff once again makes a rare soujourn onto the forum to comment ...>

Go look at the District (RIP) Dave thread again. From Dec 11 this year (eight months time) when the next major timetable change happens, Olympa is being radcically shaken up to just a few trains in the morning and a couple in the evening. If no one has beaten the current record by then, then you can say that it's more or less unbeatable in its current configuration.

Of course, if that's the case, it will be interesting to see if TFL/LU class Olympia as a 'regular' service or not, or if it will appear as 'very restricted' (which is what it is) on the map, and maybe if that's the case, Guinness might consider resetting the record to a 269 station configuration. Or maybe not. Discuss ...

<you won't hear from me again for a bit>
palkanetoijala31

scrxisi wrote:Looking good if you are a Steve, Andi or a Martin isn't it?
or somebody else if they are to be believed :wink:
palkanetoijala31

scrxisi wrote:I don;t even know what you are hinting :?:
read the sentance again! :lol:
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Right, so trying to decode you... someone has apparently broken the record? So, stop talking in Andi speak and just tell us.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Sam wrote:Right, so trying to decode you... someone has apparently broken the record? So, stop talking in Andi speak and just tell us.
I will wait say 4 months for a Guinness Ratification before i can answer that question!

getting back on the subject of Ken Olly wouldnt it be the same sort of circumstances as Shoreditch was early morning and late evening you still had to do that on the 275 you just had to adjust your route to include Shoreditch area at around those times when it was open.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Look, if you won't share the information with everyone else then why mention it in the first place? Probably coz you're talking s*it

palkanetoijala31

Sam wrote:Look, if you won't share the information with everyone else then why mention it in the first place? Probably coz you're talking s*it
Well i have my doubts about the validity of the attempt but if it is true then you will find out in good time wont ya!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

That's ok, because my amazing 15hrs, 49mins route will smash it anyway :)

Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Regarding the Olympia service, I think we need to wait and see how authoritative the recently posted information turns out to be, as previously there were equally credible posts suggesting it was going to be curtailed from May, which would now appear to be untrue. However, if the latest information is true, I don't see that it could be described as a very restricted service as it proposes the current frequency would be maintained at weekends - not that's much use for attempting a full network.

There's still eight months to go to set a new record, assuming one knows what you have to beat, given Andi's latest tease. I'm still injured by the way - I did have spare day tomorrow and very nearly decided to go out to see what I could do, but the prospect of hours of pain for a not very fast time, combined with the possible wrath of my wife if I completely crocked myself before we go on holiday later this week meant I thought better of it.
palkanetoijala31

Nigel wrote:Regarding the Olympia service, I think we need to wait and see how authoritative the recently posted information turns out to be, as previously there were equally credible posts suggesting it was going to be curtailed from May, which would now appear to be untrue. However, if the latest information is true, I don't see that it could be described as a very restricted service as it proposes the current frequency would be maintained at weekends - not that's much use for attempting a full network.

There's still eight months to go to set a new record, assuming one knows what you have to beat, given Andi's latest tease. I'm still injured by the way - I did have spare day tomorrow and very nearly decided to go out to see what I could do, but the prospect of hours of pain for a not very fast time, combined with the possible wrath of my wife if I completely crocked myself before we go on holiday later this week meant I thought better of it.
Well Kevin seemed to do really well on Comic relief day with his badly damaged ankle maybe u should use his special strapping elastoplast :) as for the tease seeing as it was not my attempt its not my place to divulge the information as i say i have my doubts about the attempt on march 24th but if it is true then a few months time i see a different claim to the record on my Guinness Claim number.Ken Olly would be a restricted service for sure but so was Shoreditch and you know how Guiness saw that one.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Highlights of the press release:
...Changes enabled by withdrawal of weekday service to Kensington (Olympia) following increase in Overground service serving the venue....

...To simplify the service, reduce delays and boost services to the Wimbledon branch which is the busiest section of the District line, LU proposes to remove weekday services to Kensington (Olympia), which carry less than one percent of District line passengers...

...The Olympia service will still operate during the weekend, and LU plans to operate special services to serve major weekday events at the Olympia exhibition centre. From May 2011, Kensington (Olympia) will benefit from additional London Overground services, with four trains serving the station every hour...
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

This means the record will have to be reconfigured as we all know at the "Browns" expense you can't set a record on the Weekend.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

nozzacook wrote:This means the record will have to be reconfigured as we all know at the "Browns" expense you can't set a record on the Weekend.
Not necessarilly. The press release states:
LU plans to operate special services to serve major weekday events at the Olympia exhibition centre
So it may be that there are only a handful of dates each year that a record completion is possible. In which case it will become very popular to attempt the record on those days.

Conversely if there are still a few passenger service trips early morning / late evening then a completion will still be theoretically possible each weekday.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

moley wrote:Conversely if there are still a few passenger service trips early morning / late evening then a completion will still be theoretically possible each weekday.
Olympia start, anyone?