Some advice wanted

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
chris1975
Zone 1

Some advice wanted

Post by chris1975 »

My brother & I are planning to do the Tube Challenge for the 1st time in November, however could someone please give us a few pointer as to the planning of the route please.

Kind Regards
Chris
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Some advice wanted

Post by Sam »

Take a map.... draw lines on it... run it through Journey planner... screw map up... start process again :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

That more or less covers it!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Welcome to the forum, chris! The current consensus of the "Tube Challenge community" seems to be that too much advice is being given to new people wanting to make an attempt at the world record, so don't be surprised if little is forthcoming. Planning your own route from scratch, trying it out, finding the mistakes and removing them is a large part of the fun and the challenge, and you'll feel more rewarded if you come up with it all yourself. As Sam said, just get a map (or more like fifty of them) from a Tube station, and draw a route on it with a pen. Rinse and repeat until you've got something you're happy with.

If you are really determined, scouring this forum will net you a few invaluable hints, but I really recommend you try the planning yourself first! And good luck with your first attempt. There are usually a few teams attempting it for Children in Need, so you might not be alone on the network, but I'm not really the person to talk to about that.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
chris1975
Zone 1

Post by chris1975 »

Thanks

Just to point out world record aint even in it for us with being newbies.

Pointers in the right direct i.e dont start here n end there that sort of thing was what i was after.

I've had a bit of a read will keep reading after all we where all newbies at some point.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

You can work out the best place to start/finish just by looking at the start/finish station for the previous records...
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
chris1975
Zone 1

Post by chris1975 »

Sam wrote:You can work out the best place to start/finish just by looking at the start/finish station for the previous records...
thanks Sam, got that will make a start tomorrow at working out our route.

Regards
Chris
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Don't start at Morden. That only works in books.

Don't end at Canning Town - it's the most bleak, soulless, depressing places to finish an all stations attempt.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
chris1975
Zone 1

Post by chris1975 »

jamesthegill wrote:Don't start at Morden. That only works in books.

Don't end at Canning Town - it's the most bleak, soulless, depressing places to finish an all stations attempt.

Thanks for the input,

I am starting to see why people say plan your own lol. I'm still stuck on the 1st part of the metro line and already took me an 1.5 hours lol
chris1975
Zone 1

Post by chris1975 »

couple of quick related questions of something that is confusing me,

do you have to alight at each station & board the next train?

or can you alight & board the same train?

or can you just stay on the train?

any help on this matter will be gratefully appreciated.

Kind Regards
Chris
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

That's a very confusing question.

Why would you get off a train at a station and then jump back on the same train again?

Are you asking in relation to the Guinness rules regarding calling at stations? If so, then all you have to do to "get" a station is to either arrive or depart on a train that runs over LU rails. So you could do Gunnersbury to Richmond on an Overground train if you wanted.

Or did you mean something else?

Member of sweet FA
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

scrxisi wrote:Additionally, to visit a station only requires the doors to open there. You can keep your seat :)
WHAT!!! When Andi took me round he made me get out and back on again at each station. :(
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
chris1975
Zone 1

Post by chris1975 »

tubeguru wrote:That's a very confusing question.

Why would you get off a train at a station and then jump back on the same train again?

Are you asking in relation to the Guinness rules regarding calling at stations? If so, then all you have to do to "get" a station is to either arrive or depart on a train that runs over LU rails. So you could do Gunnersbury to Richmond on an Overground train if you wanted.

It is a confusing question based on confusing things I have read. I didn't actually know wheather you actually had to place foot on the platform of the station or purely just do as scrxisi says.
scrxisi wrote:Additionally, to visit a station only requires the doors to open there. You can keep your seat :)

If anyone can confirm just as so that I know thanks again
Kind Regards
Chris
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

chris1975 wrote:
tubeguru wrote:That's a very confusing question.

It is a confusing question based on confusing things I have read. I didn't actually know wheather you actually had to place foot on the platform of the station or purely just do as scrxisi says.

If anyone can confirm just as so that I know thanks again
Kind Regards
Chris
You do not need to put your foot on a platform at any station except the ones you NEED to get out at to change trains. All you need to do is be on the train.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

mullardo wrote:WHAT!!! When Andi took me round he made me get out and back on again at each station. :(
Andi was having you on ...

Member of sweet FA