Zone 1 2010 : Rules & Registration

All you need to know and discuss about the 2010 Zone 1 Challenge.
hwolge
Zone 6

Re: Zone 1 2010 : Rules & Registration

Post by hwolge »

Just dropping a line to announce mine and Patrick's return to London to try to win the Cup a third time (making it permanent). I 'm also planning to attend the final round of R15 on the Saturday (alas, Patrick is not available for that event).

Looking forward to seeing you all!

/HÃ¥kan
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

As long as the ash has cleared by then!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Actually, I'm hoping to pass Heathrow on my way to Miami on a business trip this Saturday, so I'm monitoring the ash situation carefully... And it's looking reasonably promising. My guess is that both Heathrow and Copenhagen will be open from Thursday and on.
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

Thursday! You're even luckier than that (maybe - if flights are not too jammed with delayed people)...
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Edgemaster wrote:Thursday! You're even luckier than that (maybe - if flights are not too jammed with delayed people)...
Supposedly, all major airlines honour existing reservations rather than clearing the backlog. The cancel victims will have to wait for openings (worst case a week or more for an Atlantic crossing).
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I would imagine that they would lay enough extra flights on to clear the backlog; existing bookings aren't normally affected.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Starkey7 wrote:I would imagine that they would lay enough extra flights on to clear the backlog; existing bookings aren't normally affected.
I thought that as well, but given how much backlog there is, and that there is a finite amount of available flight paths and planes themselves, they wouldn't be able to put on that many extra flights really I don't think. Admittedly, I'm not an aerophile so don't really know these things properly!
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

From the point of Air New Zealand we will have cleared our backlog of passengers and cargo by tomorrow 23rd April. We put on three extra flights to get things moving quickly. :)
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

After checking the volcanoash graphics on London VAA, I didn't quite like the outlook for Denmark/Copenhagen for Saturday, so I advanced the first leg of my flight to Miami, so now I'm in Master Robert Hotel in Osterley for the next 36 hours, without specific plans. Are there any Tube Challengers out there without any specific plans for Friday night, that'd like to come together for a pint or two?

Unfortunately, I don't have an internet connection in my room, only in the reception where I'm now, so I may not see any communication right away...
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Well I'm up for a pint or eight with you. I'll send you a private message.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Well that's great ...

I fail to see the point of me being the Zone 1 organiser this year, when i've just found out that someone else has stepped in and already booked/organised the pub for the post-event meet up. kinda pointless me being the one to organise it all, no? when it seems that other people already have an agenda.

so i won't be doing, and won't be coming along to take part. someone else needs to step up and arrange a place to meet on the day. have fun with it all ...
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Nothing like chucking your toys out of your pram is there. Don't you think they may have just been helping you out?
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Geoff

I suggest you read the folowing topic through before posting and throwing your toys out of the pram, jesus all I did was book a function room which can easily be cancelled :roll:

http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 6&start=30
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Booking the function room is only a small part of the day, there is plenty more organising to be done to ensure the day runs smoothly than just booking the function room. If Geoff has another venue in mind then it's easy enough to cancel the Horse & Groom and go elsewhere, it's not a big deal is it?
One day I shall return!
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

<Mod hat firmly on>

I'm affriad that some people on here are all to quick to jump in and take over. Going Underground - did you ever get a response to your post? It appears not. Did you post that you had actually booked the room - it appears not. Out of courtesy if nothing else you could have emailed Geoff direct, sent a Private Message.

If Geoff had wanted help, he would have asked for it I'm sure. May I remind everyone that it was Geoff who basically devised and organised the first Zone 1 challenge some 6 years ago.

I can understand Geoff being p***ed off. This forum is now more about egos and less about tube challenging than ever.

<Mod hat off>
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.