Re: Tube Olympics 2010 - Event 6 - Nordic Combined - 02MAR

Post by jonny »

I'll be attending this

Soup Dragon
Going Underground
mps247
Al
Jonny

Does anyone fancy pairing up in a team with me for the first part of the challenge? I don't mind where/when we start (staying within z1-2 would be preferable, but for the purposes of a challenge I'll cough up...). Never mind if not, though, I'll do it alone!
Last edited by jonny on 28 Feb 2010, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

scrxisi wrote:There's no written rules, but there are three unwritten criteria that need be fulfilled to tempt me into adding them to the website, which Kev, Antony and I discussed when the league was created:

1) Four members of the forum should be present (non-tube challengers can join in and play, however)
2) The event must be advertised adequately in advance (so anyone who wants to attend can)
3) One of Kevin, Antony or I (as the administrative team behind the whole thing) must be present

Cue the debate...?
We had a situation similar to this last night - Tangy, Antony and I were all present, as was non tube-challenger Jonny who has played in the TCDL previously. The ruling of last night was that four bone fide tube challengers must be in participation for the scores to count, hence our few games were unofficial.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

jonny wrote:I'll be attending this

Soup Dragon
Going Underground
mps247
Al
Jonny

Does anyone fancy pairing up in a team with me for the first part of the challenge? I don't mind where/when we start (staying within z1-2 would be preferable, but for the purposes of a challenge I'll cough up...). Never mind if not, though, I'll do it alone!
Add my name to the list, I am already planning some routes. I am always open for others participants to join up with me, good running skills req'd!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Jonny, if you are less of a runner, you can team up with me if you like.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Thanks Al, I'd prefer that since I'm really not a good runner (I'll try my best though...).

I'll PM you then :)

Thanks
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Steeevooo wrote:We had a situation similar to this last night - Tangy, Antony and I were all present, as was non tube-challenger Jonny who has played in the TCDL previously. The ruling of last night was that four bone fide tube challengers must be in participation for the scores to count, hence our few games were unofficial.
I'm not doubting you, but when was that? Was that when the others had gone off to the other pub in search of dart board? I only ask as it can't have been when I left as Anthony was still there, and Andi was supposedly staggering home at the same time as me too! (Not that he'd got that far by the time I left!)
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

This was right at the end of the day - everyone else had gone home, Tangy and I decided to hang around for a couple of games more as we were in no rush, and Antony was persuaded to stay for one more doubles game along with non-Tube Challenger Jonny.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Antony, you mentioned to me that we'd need to make logs of our journeys?

Could you confirm this, and if so what will they need to include?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

jonny wrote:Antony, you mentioned to me that we'd need to make logs of our journeys?

As I'll be scoring the event, it would be appreciated if you could all maintain as full a log as possible containing each station and your arrival/departure time in order to help me establish how many unique stations and how many interchanges have been made in the attempt. Also, with the possibility of tied scores at the end, the count-back will be done on first the score from the interchange challenge, then the number of unique stations visited, then on total time to the final station recorded.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

jonny wrote:Antony, you mentioned to me that we'd need to make logs of our journeys?

Yes please, if everyone can make a journey log of the time that doors open at each station you visit.
Obviously everyones journey will start at 00:00 at their first chosen station.
For line changes you must note the time that the doors close on your departing train, if doors should re-open you must take the time of the second or subsequent closure to be your departure time. As example of how the Journey Log should look:

Waterloo 00:00
Westminster 01:32
JUB N -DIS E 03:17
Embankment 04:23
DIS E - BAK N 06:56
Charing Cross 08:01
Piccadilly Circus 09:37
Oxford Circus 11:22
BAK N - VIC N 11:47

In this example you will have racked up 12 points. This example is purely fictional and does not necessarily represent any part of my route. The TOSA will not be held responsible for anyone using this set of stations and in doing so scoring more points than any other competitor.
One day I shall return!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Soup Dragon wrote:As example of how the Journey Log should look:

I nearly understand this completely. However, what's the BAK N - VIC N time all about? Do you mean that the Bakerloo doors opened at Oxford Circus at 11:22, and the Victoria door shut there at 11:47?
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Starkey7 wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:As example of how the Journey Log should look:

I nearly understand this completely. However, what's the BAK N - VIC N time all about? Do you mean that the Bakerloo doors opened at Oxford Circus at 11:22, and the Victoria door shut there at 11:47?
Exactly, this would represent a fairly sexy 25 second change from arrival Oxford Circus to departure. At the point of arrival at Oxford Circus you would have scored 10 points, and as soon as the doors close for departure on the Victoria line you score the bonus 2 points for a completed line change. Be careful to keep you eyes on your stopwatch around the 60 minute mark because if you are attempting a line change which isn't completed you would fail to secure the bonus points.

My route is a killer and has me attempting a crazy line change with potentially 57 minutes on the clock
One day I shall return!
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

I will be in London tomorrow, so I might attempt a time.

Will be at the pub regardless.

See you all tomorrow
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

It will probably be unlikely that there will be darts after the event tomorrow. Once the quiz is finished we will need to add together the scores to see who is the winner, and rather than rush off to another pub it's probably easier to stay put at the Prince of Wales Feathers. I'm looking forward to this event, I think it could almost as exhausting as the all lines and it will be very interesting to see how many points are scored in the first part of the challenge.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Soup Dragon wrote:To allow everyone a fair crack of the whip you can start at whatever station you like between 5:30 - 6:30 pm, however, once you have started your watch you are not allowed to reset it.
Just a reminder to anyone that is in London early, you must start between these times...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold