A MESSAGE FROM TAMI

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
Stroppycow
Zone 1

A MESSAGE FROM TAMI

Post by Stroppycow »

Just received the following message from Tami via Sergeant Steve Day of New Orleans Police.

"This message is posted by Sgt. Steve Day who works with me at the New Orleans Police Department.

I made it back to the States. It took me two days to get to New Orleans. I have spoken to all of my family and they are well.

I am with my men staying in a house with no electricity. The heat is almost 100 degrees and it is very uncomfortable.

The city isn't what I left. The city will never be the same. The devastation is surreal and so horrific in nature, words can't describe it.

Thousands dead, unable to rescue many people.

80% of police officers lost homes. Two police officers committed suicide. One office being a friend who organized my media ads for the charity. I don't have time to grieve because of the work that needs to be done. My responsibility to my officers and city of New Orleans is paramount.

The eastern part of the city is so much underwater it will take 80 days to remove all of the water according to T.V.

Children were starving and dying in front of the world's eyes. It has changed me forever but I still can't seem to find answers to those questions of "why didn't we get help sooner".

I hope you all are well and when I need a few monents away from this reality, I think of 2 weeks ago when I was with you all living the "life of riley". It seems like a lifetime ago.

On the days I leave this mess and destruction in my mind, I go back to Thursday 25-8. It then makes me feel better. I miss you all and hope you can help us.

My police officers need financial help. My city needs help. Please encourge everyone to help us. When I get to a computer I'll write my self.

Love,
Tami"
Why live life when you can document it?
PhilH
Zone 1

Post by PhilH »

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and have just registered so that I can reply to Tami's post. I encourage everyone to donate towards the various relief appeals. There seem to be more springing up every day, and some of them are suspect, but established organisations like the Red Cross are probably the safest bet. Here are the links to them in Britain, the USA, and also in Australia, where I live:

http://www.redcross.org.uk//standard.as ... achefixer=

https://give.redcross.org/donation-form ... nemasthead

https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/o ... ations.asp

Everyone pray that Tami and her colleagues stay safe.

Phil
It's one for you, nineteen for me, 'cause I'm a ....
garda
Zone 2

greetings from NOLA

Post by garda »

Hello all,
I finally was able to access the internet because I have changed assignments and I am now in the Emergency Operations Center for the NOPD. This is the Command Center for the New Orleans Police Department. Everything pretty much goes thru here. I am doing fine. This is a live changing experience for sure. I slept in a garage on the concrete for a while and now I have a cot. The city is so eerie looking with all the destruction. The water is still high in most parts and I can't even imagine what it will look like when it is all drained.

The heat is still in the 90s and the smell is something that you want to forget. People are still be rescued from their homes and many have died but they believe that the toll may not be as hight. Thank God for that at least. I feel so bad for those who have missing family members because I was in their shoes just a sort time ago.

The city is full of military assistance and we are trying to get supplies in to live. As I had stated earlier over 80 % of the department has lost their homes and many had only the clothes on their back. We are police officers attired in shorts, jeans, t shirts, etc. Whatever we can find. I didnt have anything but the clothes in the suitcase. I know have a few more personal items.

We are in the process of find accomodations for our police officers and it appears as though we will have residence in a cruise ship which will be docked on the river. This weill house police and their families. I wont house my family there because Joshua is in Florida going to school and Fred is still in Texas. My family is doing fine and my niece is about to have here baby. She has no electricity but uses a generator when they can.

I miss the most simple things such as cold milk, salad, a real bathtub, a hot home cooked meal on glass plates, and music. It is so wierd not having the creature comforts. However, we have it much better than some of those poor people who have nothing.

I dont know how long we will be living like this. I work 24 hours a day and only leave this compound for a shower. I get to sleep a few hours during the night when I dont have a call. I hope to get into a regular routine soon. (Whatever routine is now.)

If you get a chance go to nola.com or wwltv.com and you can check out some of the photos. They are heart wrenching.

I wanted to let you know that the airport must have removed my tube map from the PVC in my suitcase. I didnt have it and also I had someone check with my friend and it was not with him. What a loss. I will now have to do the challenge all over again! LOL. I miss you guys and read the blogs as much as I can to catch up. I devour everything I can get to get my mind and heart back there where I felt safe. It is funny how people were concerned about me coming to London because of the bombings and little did they realize that I would almost escape our own horrors.

Please keep in touch and thanks for the prayers and support. I told my husband that if I get money for insurance I would just rather come back and stay in the UK. Maybe I could get a job on the underground!!!

If anyone wants to email me I am still at tamibr44@bellsouth.net.

If you thought I looked like shit in the photos before you should see me know!
Love
T
Annie Mole
Zone 2

What a woman!

Post by Annie Mole »

Tami

Great to hear from you again, and how you manage to keep your sense of humour in all this is totally beyond me. You're an inspiration to us all.

I've blogged your latest message as I know the people are still very concerned about you.

Take care and somehow we'll get something out to you to replace the missing map

Love

Annie
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

Its so good to hear from you Tami.. I was hoping someone had heard from you. As Annie says, you're a true inspiration in your resilience..

keep your chin up hun.. and remember to let us know if theres anything *you* need..
c0y0t3
Zone 1

Post by c0y0t3 »

Stay strong, Tami! Words will not be able to describe how my heart plunged deep into the ground hearing the terrible news there. But I know you will stay strong! Like Fimb said earlier, let us know if we can be any helpful.

Not to worry bout the tube map, am sure all of us will be able to sign it again for you!

Take care and keep in touch.
garda
Zone 2

Update

Post by garda »

I am now stationed at the Emergency Operations Center with the department and we are in the recovery mode and now we have to worry about another hurricane RITA that may be heading our way. What else can happen? The city is still not operational but peace and order is maintained. I made it to my home and had a tree in the roof, some water, plenty of downed trees, and some other damage but it can be fixed. Now I worry about this next one. My officers are all accounted for and we are living on a cruise ship. It is cramped but managable. No activities on this ship and no entertainment but we call it home. The destruction here is indiscribable and the thesarus has no words for what we have seen. God has helped up get through this and will continue to do so.

Everyday I reflect on the week we spent together and the fun we had for a good cause. THAT is what keeps me going. I have so much I would like to say but time is so short and some many tasks to organize. I will keep in touch with ya'll and let you know what is going on. I never did find my tube map and need to get another one. Shucks!
Love T
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

Fantastic to hear from you Tami.. Good to hear you sounding so strong.

Hang in there