Photo Quiz 11.03 (FINISHED)

Previous rounds of the Photo Quiz live here
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Photo Quiz 11.03 (FINISHED)

Post by tubeguru »

OK, I'd like the name of the station at which I took this picture a couple of months ago please. I don't think this one has a station code so tangy should be alright.

The closing date for this one is Thursday the 4th of February at 21.30.

(And continuing the theme of Genesis song titles, this one is from their 1976 album "A Trick of the Tail").
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Re: Photo Quiz 11.03

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Theres now an new evil photo quizzer TUBEGURU U R EVL :mrgreen:
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

All tube stations have codes.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Indeed they do Edgemaster. I am currently compiling a list of each one to put onto a station codes database that is currently in build.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Surely there must already be a database somewhere containing these details?

Could you get them to send you the information through the FoI act?

EDIT: For sanity's sake, please confirm you aren't just compiling these station codes simply for the purposes of the Photo Quiz...?
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

My reasons for creating this database is two fold. Firstly I cannot find a similar list of stations codes on the web. Certainly not one which contains not only NR codes but also LUL codes and codes for certain towns not served by rail but are served by "rail link" buses. I have been compiling this database from a variety of sources thus will be very comprenshive and all laid out with one page per letter.

Secondly, I am also creating this database for fellow challenger, Laxmeesh, whose job it is to report transport delays/problems for radio "traffic alert" bulletins and other sources. Only downside is that most of the incoming info from transport providers get forwarded to the office in code! Obviously, he knows the most well known ones but the smaller stations or stations away from the London area he is stumped!!

So, no, this database isn't being complied just to give answers to photo quizzes!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

tangy wrote:Indeed they do Edgemaster. I am currently compiling a list of each one to put onto a station codes database that is currently in build.
Could you post a copy for the benefit of everyone here? It'd be good to be able to use the official abbreviations (even though we've come up with a lot of them independently and probably got them wrong). I'm presuming any LU station which is also an NR one takes the NR code, eg MYB for Marylebone, though I could be wrong...
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I am currently halfway through the listing- Have done up to and including page "L" so far.

NR and LUL have totally separate code systems. However where LU trains run over NR tracks (like North of Queens Park) or where LU/NR share the same station (like Wimbledon) the NR codes are used.

Tangy.
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

The NR codes used to be available on the NR website, I think I still have a copy somewhere.

LUL codes are harder to dig up.
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

The Underground ones seem to begin with Z

ZUM = Upminster
ZTG = Turnham Green
ZAM = Amersham
ZAD = Aldgate

many of them are at

http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/CRS/CRSa.htm
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The tube station codes can be found by going to the Live Departure boards for a station and looking at the URL.

eg Oxford Circus is http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew ... ctoria=off
so the code is OXC
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

greatkingrat wrote:The tube station codes can be found by going to the Live Departure boards for a station and looking at the URL.

eg Oxford Circus is http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew ... ctoria=off
so the code is OXC
Things then become confusing. If I look at the NR departure board for Richmond, the code for Upminster (Underground) is ZUM. If I go to the TfL Departure Board, it's UPM. Similarly, ZTG/TGR for Turnham Green.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The codes are not related.

Elephant & Castle LU is ELE, while Elephant & Castle NR is EPH and NR use ELE to refer to Elmers End!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

jbom wrote: Things then become confusing. If I look at the NR departure board for Richmond, the code for Upminster (Underground) is ZUM. If I go to the TfL Departure Board, it's UPM. Similarly, ZTG/TGR for Turnham Green.
These are two separate code systems, the codes beginning with Z are codes that NR use for LU stations, to get timings or tickets for a through NR/LUL journey.

The other set of codes (like UPM) are official LUL codes, which are displayed throughout the network. These can be glimpsed at certain stations on the far tunnel wall when signalling equipment is within the station confines. LIS 014 or similar

Tangy.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

scrxisi wrote:For NR stations, the list that the NR website uses can be gleamed from http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/dynjs/sta ... tations.js
Thanks for that. I was going to scrape all the Wikipedia entries but I don't have to now. :)
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)