TUBE 24 3RD WORLD RECORD

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
geofftech
All Zones

Re: TUBE 24 3RD WORLD RECORD

Post by geofftech »

jbom wrote:Congratulations to the new record holders. Please spare a thought for some poor person at Guiness who's going to be working overtime over Christmas ratifying records.
provisional time! not confirmed!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Sam wrote:No-one else has the fitness levels that they have...
Ahem.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Sam wrote: No-one else has the fitness levels that they have
Thats true for me lol
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

garion24wales wrote:
Sam wrote: No-one else has the fitness levels that they have
Thats true for me lol
We had 10 runs throughout day not including corridor or cross platforms we had no actual good luck wiv buses either apart from south wimbledon.

Also for anybody else who wishes to attempt we also had delays 2 10m waits at least according to logbook and we changed our actual plans 18 times between the 3 routes.

Plan a
plan a2
plan b
back to plan a
back to plan a2
back to plan a
back to plan b
back to plan a2 u get the general idea
palkanetoijala31

geofftech wrote:spin? what spin? "now that's what i call a challenge!" (quote: me) is clearly indicative that i think that this is an incredible time - it is!

isn't blackfriars closed at the moment tho? that negates the Wood Lane stop. the whole new timetable probably helped.

of course .. someone could theoretically do the exact same route, be on the same last train ... and just get in 5 seconds faster.

let's face it, Andi will probably be out there at sometime doing just that. trying to shave a few seconds off of his own time!
Too true i wont rest on this record provisional or not!and to quote geoff if this attempt didnt work i had a plan b on friday where i therotically only had to push sara for 1 run for the world record.We had no luck wiv buses yesterday imagine a 307/384 out of high barnet a 79/186/340 out of edgware but no we also had 2 10m delays and a 9 min wait at hainault.

So to say the record is unattainable is exactly what was said july 24th it is possible to beat the time and it is now.!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I've merged steeeevvvooooooo's original thread from the other section into this one. Fortunately, the three posts fit in quite nicely.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Thanks to everyone for their congratulations :)
I do think that, whilst this time is good and will hopefully prove tough to crack, I do believe that it is possible to go quicker - as Andi has mentioned, we did have two 10+ minute waits, we had far from perfect Ken O and Hainault Loop connections and barely any luck with buses (to explain about not running to Canons Park - we started to run there, then saw the 340 behind us, waited at the next bus stop for it, only for it to take forever to actually get to us...). Naturally we also had some very good luck too, the most important of which being the good service throughout the day (maybe Hakan can provide some statistics?). As Geoff has said in this thread, it just makes it more of a challenge - after all, this is what Tube Challenging is about isn't it - a challenge?! :D
Root wrote:This is just getting ridiculous. I mean, well done and everything, but the record seems to fall every few weeks nowadays... and every time, I think "surely it can't go any lower"? It's nearly a whole two hours less than the famous Geoff & Neil time. That, to me, is astonishing, even taking into account the configuration changes.
Not entirely sure where you are coming from here Ollie - Andi and Steve K's record stood for a very long time until Sam finally cracked it a couple of weeks back, so I would hardly say that it is falling every few weeks! The tone of your message implies that you are against the improvement of the record time - surely records are there to be beaten, and as long as people have the belief that it is possible to go quicker, then that is a good thing - your argument could equally be put to the 100m world record, people used to think sub 10 seconds was impossible, now Usain Bolt is doing 9.50ish, yet I don't hear people bemoaning that the "famous" record time by whoever is being smashed. Perhaps you wish that Tube Challenging ceased to exist after Geoff & Neil's time, so as to preserve their time for eternity...? :|

Whilst we all know that Andi goes out on these attempts rather often, this is provisionally only his third record, which doesn't indicate that high a success rate - although I think even he is beginning to acknowledge that he goes out there a bit too often ;)
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

I'd be lying if I didn't think something along the lines of "if I only lived nearer (or in) London and had the time, I'd be able to make more attempts". Well that's as may be but that's what a challenge is all about. Those with the real fire for it will likely get nearer the prize. Such is life: if you really want it, you can get it.

I salute anyone breaking the record, by whatever margin.
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
palkanetoijala31

I think my challenge ratio will go down slightly only because i bust a gut on this 1 out of the 10 out of station runs i was ahead on 9 of them the last was hampered wiv a right calf muscle problem but a still impressive run time of 5 mins late in the day.

My next challenge will be the santa attempt which will be a different start different finish and im 34 now my age is starting to creep up on me.
palkanetoijala31

heathrow t5
i have finally figured out after 2 years how to do pictures wow!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

23:09... I assume that photo was taken some time after you got there...
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

If they did what I think they did, that photo was taken a minute or two after they arrived.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

Sam wrote:23:09... I assume that photo was taken some time after you got there...
about 3 minutes after we had arrived we were chatting to the driver who kindly took the photo for us.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

greatkingrat wrote:If they did what I think they did, that photo was taken a minute or two after they arrived.
Ah, yeah good point, I forgot about that
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Starkey7 wrote:
Sam wrote:No-one else has the fitness levels that they have...
Ahem.
Is this the same bloke that was beaten soundly by kevin brown of all people talking