The Tube Challenge Bandwagon

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Myself, Sam and Chris will possibly be doing another attempt at some point in the next few weeks, however, our attempt will be another one again at walking pace with the sole intention of visiting all 274 stations this time!
However, we thought that we might do a proper log of our attempt this time, but are unsure what sort of stuff goes into the logs. Do you have to take timings of every station that you stop at, or just the interchanges? If anyone could clear that up for us, we would appreciate it!
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

Senji wrote:
Hammersmith! :-)
Oh dear :roll:
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Steeevooo wrote:However, we thought that we might do a proper log of our attempt this time, but are unsure what sort of stuff goes into the logs. Do you have to take timings of every station that you stop at, or just the interchanges? If anyone could clear that up for us, we would appreciate it!
The minimum requirement specified in the rules is arrival and departure times from each station (for which you may find a radio controlled watch, available from Argos for £22.99, handy), passthroughs, line changes, commutes between lines/stations and train numbers (as displayed on the front and back of each train), preferably with photos of station nameboards wherever possible.

If you're going for a full record attempt, you also need an independent person (or persons) witnessing the beginning and attempt of the attempt, and they should hold the "master" stopwatch, which is started the moment the doors close on the first train, and stopped when you set foot on the platform at the last station. You can not take the "master" stopwatch with you!

In addition, you need to get a witness book signed by a witness at least once an hour, providing their name, contact phone number/e-mail address and a confirmation of the location.

Oh...And you have to visit Terminal 4 by using the replacement bus from Hatton Cross in at least one direction.

HTH,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Thanks Barry, as I said before, this won't be a record attempt, just another attempt to visit all the stations by walking, but we wanted to fill in a proper sort of log as we did it and we really weren't too sure on what to include!
Thanks for clearing everything up,
Steve :)
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

barrykas wrote:...preferably with photos of station nameboards wherever possible.

In addition, you need to get a witness book signed by a witness at least once an hour, providing their name, contact phone number/e-mail address and a confirmation of the location.

Barry
I had a bit of correspondence with GWR about evidence a couple of years ago and we agreed that photos are useful evidence, but not really vital, 'cos it is easy to get a photo of every station over a few days and doesn't prove that you have done it all in one day. Timers on cameras can also be tampered with.

Getting signatures can be a bit tricky with strangers, but TfL Staff are usually quite helpful - you might even get the official station stamp at a few. But be sure that you supply a pro forma for them to sign that clearly states what they are signing and why. Staff can be (righly) suspicious of just signing any peice of paper that is thrust at them.

I also try to record any incidents that I see, such a drivers changing, over-lengthy stops etc, which might prove that you were on the train you said you were.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

PFW wrote:I had a bit of correspondence with GWR about evidence a couple of years ago
But why would you be talking to Great Western Railways about it anyway? :lol:
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Hi there....definitely thinking about possible World record attempts, but no change there! On my second attempt, I did about 19 hours 10 (again adding on theoretical times by missing first train and jumping off Upminster train to get home) Since Tube Relief I've planned a route with an Epping start, but hadn't figured out the timing to make it work-thanks moley.

Also, for T4 I've taken the tube down to T123, got the Heathrow Express to T4, and taken the official bus back to Hatton Cross. Problem is, of the three times I've tried it, I've had over 12 minutes connection at T123 for the service every quarter of an hour, so T4 has always involved a big time loss on Geoff and Neil's record. Is this just bad luck or do the tube and Express never connect well?

And is a midnight run through the East End a really silly idea? Just wondering :)

Hope you're all well, I'm actually working hard for a change so haven't been around much.

Ric
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

CrunchySaviour wrote:
PFW wrote:I had a bit of correspondence with GWR about evidence a couple of years ago
But why would you be talking to Great Western Railways about it anyway? :lol:
thats FIRST great western, his acronym would be lacking the F word. you lose! :P
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yes, Z scores 1 Anal point there.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

tpfkar wrote: Since Tube Relief I've planned a route with an Epping start, but hadn't figured out the timing to make it work-thanks moley.

Probably, because it won't work with an Epping start!
Also, for T4 I've taken the tube down to T123, got the Heathrow Express to T4, and taken the official bus back to Hatton Cross. Problem is, of the three times I've tried it, I've had over 12 minutes connection at T123 for the service every quarter of an hour, so T4 has always involved a big time loss on Geoff and Neil's record. Is this just bad luck or do the tube and Express never connect well?
The Heathrow Express runs every 15mins, and the tube every 3-5mins. So you are much more likely to have a better connection, if you are going in one direction, and the not the other. ;)
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

epping starts and finishes are impossible thanks to chigwell, roding valley and grange hill - they have late opening and early closing times cos no one uses them
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

With careful planning - catching the very last trains to certain places and with the network running correctly - a Epping start is possible.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

moley wrote:With careful planning - catching the very last trains to certain places and with the network running correctly - a Epping start is possible.
I'm guessing you've worked it out accurately, so I won't argue with that.

But if a route allows virtually *no* margin for error, to even get things completed, let alone snatch the world record from the temporary holders Messrs Marshall and Blake, then it's not really worth doing.
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

Somebody will know this or know how to work it out: in the current timetable, is it better to finish at Amersham or Chesham? Thanks
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Easiest way to work it out is simply to look at timetables.

The TfL journey planner works reasonably well, but you've got to be specific about the route you're taking - if there's anything at all ambiguous (in terms of one journey potentially missing out stations, or having a choice of lines to take), be sure to put in via points to direct it the way your want to go.

Anyway, find out from there (or paper timetables if you know how to get hold of them) when the last trains to Chesham and Amersham are, and then work out from a common point before there (like Chalfont + Latimer) what the changes are going to be like, finishing at one, or the other.