Andi & Gang attempt 28th October

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Andi & Gang attempt 28th October

Post by Sam »

Bloody hell, they couldn't have picked a worse day for it!!
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

we are hoplessly beehind but are carrying on Uxbridge nearly stopped us . We had run to Ickenham to then find no tubes either direction so bussed to Uxbridge and then managed to got a southbound Met.

currently Westbound from upminster
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

It's fair to say that we were missing the all important element of luck today - missing an infrequent connection at a critical point early on cost us 15 minutes, and then the worlds slowest possible journey from High Barnet (well, Totteridge & Whetstone is where the problems began) to Cockfosters pushed us firmly out of contention. By the looks of things, it has just become worse as the day has gone on.

Unfortunately I had to retire at Finsbury Park so missed out on the 'fun' at Ickenham - I'm sure the others will post more tomorrow.

Back to the drawing board...
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

We ended up aborting at Edgware Road at about 2130. If we had carried on it would probably have been about 18:40ish at best.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Thats not long after I left you guys. Guess my luck didnt last? lol

I met up with Soup Dragon and Co on a H&C train purely by chance as I was waiting for GU and Andi on the next train. I had some time to spare as I was seeing my friend and has a long wait for my train.

I joined up with Andi and GU and the others at Aldgate East, while SD & John got off at Mile End and stayed with them until Embankment where I got my Bakerloo Line train to Paddington.

Also thanks to Martin for the door position at Embankment :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I certainly hope your presence doesn't curse challenges else I need a new partner in crime :mrgreen:
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

garion24wales wrote:Thats not long after I left you guys. Guess my luck didnt last? lol

I met up with Soup Dragon and Co on a H&C train purely by chance as I was waiting for GU and Andi on the next train. I had some time to spare as I was seeing my friend and has a long wait for my train.

I joined up with Andi and GU and the others at Aldgate East, while SD & John got off at Mile End and stayed with them until Embankment where I got my Bakerloo Line train to Paddington.

u could have stayed with us we made paddington at 21.06 u could have walked to ur train.
palkanetoijala31

Wanstead wrote:
nozzacook wrote:heading south from cockfosters after a 34minfrom high barnet
Not at Andi's pace then...
Too true but i wasnt wiv the group my time High Barnet-Cockfosters 17 mins i even had time for an oakwood double back before anybody arrived.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
garion24wales wrote:Thats not long after I left you guys. Guess my luck didnt last? lol

u could have stayed with us we made paddington at 21.06 u could have walked to ur train.
True, but I didn't want to risk it. :wink:
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
palkanetoijala31

Well that was an interesting attempt.!

first off we started at t4 and had no problems up until chiswick park somehow out of the station i managed to lose my ticket and had to beg Matt to buy me another 1.And with a late running Richmond train which turned round late as well.Pulling into earls court we managed to get the rare olympia train but got in to late for the southern train out to west brompton so joining up with matt we waited for next train.

Into Wimbledon and a tram over to Morden road with a quick blastering run to morden but no Mill Hill east direct shown despite being on timetable only 3 mins away.? on electronic board strange indeed! so we truned to plan b peters route.This despite wrong tfl timetable information we just got on to a perfect Epping first hainault loop.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Well that was fun wasn't it here are some of the days "low lights"

Due to the system being in utter meltdown we must have made around 5 to 6 route changes just to keep the thing moving...

At the end of each line we were either waiting for a platform to become available or we had the same train in and out :x

Running to Ickenham and nothing operating westbound to Uxbridge, so a run back to the U1 bus stop and then having to wait for 12 minutes for an eastbound met to depart upon arrival at Uxbridge. Time for arrival West Ruislip :arrow: departure Uxbridge 34 minutes :shock:

Liverpool Street :arrow: Aldgate 8 mins, 40 seconds :shock:
Totteridge & Whetstone :arrow: High Barnet 9 mins, 25 seconds :(

This was most annoying as Richie was on "bus watch" and as we approaced High Barnet a 307 was 4 mins away, this turned up on time while we sat oustide the station for around 6 mins...and we watched it disapear down the road :(
When we finally got to High Barnet it was showing 7 mins for the next 307, Andi took an 84 and then the 307 time kept fluctuating and eventually turned up after a 13 minutes later.. We even let a 384 go as our 307 should have been a couple of minutes behind this, but was some 6 to 7 minutes down when it eventually turned up.... After a lovely run to Cockfosters we saw the 384 emerge some 100 yards ahead of us :x
Total time Totteridge & Whetstone :arrow: Cockfosters 42 minutes :shock:

This pretty much killed the day and we pressed on saying that if we could get the route back within an "hour" then we would keep going for completion... We finally aborted at Edgware Road having been there some 3 - 4 minutes when the announcement that the next H & C train was 7 mins away...

Had we carried on it would have been a ridiculous late finish and at least 1 1/2 if not 2 hours outside GWR....

Certainly the most eventful and dramatic of my XI full network attempts :!:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold