TUBE 17 FANTASTIC FIVE ATTEMPT

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
al
Zone 6

Re: Fantastic 5ive Full network attempt 14th sept live updates

Post by al »

Wanstead wrote:Still, dead chuffed! :)
and rightly so! A sterling effort and you now know that on a better day you could probably break the record :)

So, when's the next attempt planned? :wink:
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

al wrote:
Wanstead wrote:Still, dead chuffed! :)
and rightly so! A sterling effort and you now know that on a better day you could probably break the record :)

So, when's the next attempt planned? :wink:
I did say to them they have a good grasp of what works certain little tricks i kno certainly helped them and i did say i would sacrifice myself as a support member next time.
palkanetoijala31

The Flying Finn report of the day had a lovely rest at my relatives place and walked down to Amersham station.

Took some photographs chatting to Anthony Brown aka Soupdragon and started at 05.28.38 secs almost missed the Moor Park the driver tooted at the other driver to wait a few seconds so we just got on it.Then at Watford i was listening to the driver saying something about battery not charging or something this led to him getting 2 min later out of station and slow arrival at North Harrow.

Despite a good blastering run the 06.56 left as i arrived at the bottom of stairs it was too much too make up so called back to the rest whom arrived about 2 mins later to slow up.

This led to our plan b coming into operation good connections down until E&C and a 4 min wait for mhe direct which enabled us to have a comfort break at Finchley central.
palkanetoijala31

Off again and up to High B is where Scrxisi text me so its was just short message to tell him where we were and running up hill i spotted a 384 missed it just but ran down the hill in traffic and caught it up was shouting down the walkie talkie to the others driver prepared to wait no response then saw 84 right behind thought yes they have got on that no where were they.?after running from New barnet station to Cockfosters i found that they decided to wait for a 307 which had a slow bus driver anyway i could have just got on a 09.54 from cokfosters but decided to play tube blackjack hopping from 1 tube to the other as they went out.

As i was about to let the 3 train i could have got leave Chris turned up and got on with me we had to leave we decided to go onto Finsbury park and the door position we had just in case they needed a fast change there they were 2 train behind us at this point we found out and were in wrong door position so missed another connection here.
palkanetoijala31

The rest went fine and we made good connections and got back to our plan hainault loop with even time for a stop at Leytonstone for a toilet break.
tubeman
Zone 1

Post by tubeman »

Well done to you all, especially to the people (Wanstead, Chris and Si) that I know from another part of the internet.

Cheers,

Simon
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. Now I don't know if that warm glow is the rays we caught yesterday doing the runs, general muscle tiredness all over, or just the general feeling of satisfaction. Probably all three! :)

God I'm going to bed early tonight though, as was up for 23 hours yesterday. :shock:
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I was up for 24 :wink:
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
palkanetoijala31

Epping was fine and we came back down to stratford with no ticket barrier this is good.A nice change up to West Ruislip but no bloody bus u1 again (17 times not caught yet) incredible sexy change at Uxbridge 10 secs in and out.A bit of a slow pic into North Ealing gave the team a misconception of the run needed i knew it was tighter than planned and made the train within eyesight but knew rest had to hurry up at West Acton.

Ealing Broadway and the mistake which could have cost us who knows no running from Chiswick park to Gunnersbury relied on Turnham Green double back and shouldnt have cost us at least 13m.Didnt have exact ken o times but thought worth the risk with a run from West ken and what a risk despite 2 members being there we shouted walk to the remaining 3 then it decided to go so we held the doors only for 10s mind so team was together.

Good connections made in central area and at Edgware i spooted a bus leaving station experienced tube challenger that i am ran in front of bus so it couldnt overtake me until next stop.
palkanetoijala31

A well spotted aldgate leaving train from met from chris led us getting that train and on the hoof thinking led us getting a district out to upminster from Aldgate east at Upminster nearly a slip up Chris said the doors had shut on the c2c but i ran for it because it was still there and low and behold we got on it saved us at least 12 min that 1.

Back into town and good connections made help from paper picking up people tellings us next 1 out of morden platform and bus caught at South Wimbledon due to quick road running somehow i made the 93 which passed as i exited which was ahead of the 131 i think but the 131 passed us but only slightly on the road and a shortcut that chris suggested was not in my opinion sorry. :oops:

The rest was simple possibly a slip up due to tiredness we could have changed to the high street kensington train at earls court and got a circle at hsk and been in and out of edgware road quicker than 3 unlikely with h&c but u never know.The run down to hammersmith was slightly hampered by my ticket not letting me out which cost me 200m at least and the t4 train so we could have finished in around 17h 15m with 15m lost this would have hovered around that area and more opppurtunities wher we lost time.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:a shortcut that chris suggested was not in my opinion sorry. :oops:
I think we realised that after catching our breaths on the Wimbledon train. Still, it's always good for someone to take the lead and just start pegging it, as long as they're not completely wrong. Nothing worse than being stuck out of your comfort zone, without a plan, and having to dig out the A-Z in a panic.

Edit: Checked this against best route (hand-drawn) on Google Maps and Chris's route came out about 10s slower. We would have caught the train either way.
Last edited by Wanstead on 19 Sep 2009, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Learnt so much on that trip - will be much much better prepared next time. (As long as Andi has legs there will be a next time!)

I think the really critical thing is take the absolute minimum of stuff with you. Don't do what I did: take a change of clothes/shoes, which I had to leave in a hedge in Amersham en route to the station in the morning! Successfully recovered on the way back home though.
Chris5156
Zone 1

Post by Chris5156 »

Video of the Fantastic Five's day is here - be warned it's a little bit sweary and very very wobbly!

http://www.vimeo.com/6717302
Wanstead wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:a shortcut that chris suggested was not in my opinion sorry. :oops:
I think we realised that after catching our breaths on the Wimbledon train. Still, it's always good for someone to take the lead and just start pegging it, as long as they're not completely wrong. Nothing worse than being stuck out of your comfort zone, without a plan, and having to dig out the A-Z in a panic.

Edit: Checked this against best route (hand-drawn) on Google Maps and Chris's route came out about 10s slower. We would have caught the train either way.
Just to defend my route, there's a steep hill if you follow the road, but the path round the back of the Odeon lets you take the climb more gently... OK, OK, never mind :)
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Wow, that looked so much fun. In my mind you are new record holders because of Wood Lane, so well done. I'm missing doing this challenge now.

That 384 business was very unlucky.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I miss it too. Roll on CiN :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22