Worst run?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
toontoon75
Zone 1

Buses - pah!

Post by toontoon75 »

Nope - it is a run down a backstreet or two.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Re: Worst run?

Post by TheFatBuoy »

lazza747 wrote: Didn't Alistair Bell run Mill Hill East to Finchley Central (or at least consider it?)
Is he the athlete feller (done the marathon quite a few times) that turned up to Tube Relief at Harrow and Wealdstone and possibly joined us all for a couple of stations?

If so, I think it was Mill Hill East to West Finchley.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
PFW
Zone 3

Re: Worst run?

Post by PFW »

No, that was Steve Paull
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

btw - I tried the MHE to West Finchley run once, just to see what it is like.

I wouldn't recommend it. Quite a bit of it is up hill and you need to run down some back alleys to get the quickest route. It is easy to get lost if you do not have your wits about you (which I don't).
Root
All Zones

Re: Hammersmity (H&C) to Kensington (Olympia)

Post by Root »

spoogie37 wrote:Anyone tried? Can also get a bus if you see one.
There's no direct bus, you could get some of the way on the bus but it wouldn't be worth it, you'd probably end up waiting half an hour for it to turn up anyway.

Going by the timetables, in order to make a Bakerloo connection and avoid a hefty wait, you have six minutes to run between North and West Harrow. I've done it in 6:20, but that was in jeans, and I had eaten far too big a lunch before I practised that!

If and when I do a "serious" challenge, I reckon I'll be motivated enough to get a sub-six-minute time.

If you don't make that train, I think it'd be best to board the next one and get off at Northwick Park, rather than do the turnaround at Preston Road. That station can be done later when you are up doing the Royal Burys.

Also, considering the Uxbridge - West Ruislip bus runs every ten minutes until nine in the evening (from which point it's every half an hour), surely that's quicker than Uxbridge - Ickenham - West Ruislip by tube and foot? I've used it a couple of times in practise and never had to wait more than a few minutes for it.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

PFW wrote:btw - I tried the MHE to West Finchley run once, just to see what it is like.

I wouldn't recommend it. Quite a bit of it is up hill and you need to run down some back alleys to get the quickest route. It is easy to get lost if you do not have your wits about you (which I don't).
So it could potentially be worthwhile doing it the other way then (WF to MHE), fitness levels allowing?

Obviously this would only be worthwhile if you're heading back into town on the Northern Line though.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Re: Hammersmity (H&C) to Kensington (Olympia)

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Root wrote:
spoogie37 wrote:Anyone tried? Can also get a bus if you see one.
There's no direct bus, you could get some of the way on the bus but it wouldn't be worth it, you'd probably end up waiting half an hour for it to turn up anyway.

Going by the timetables, in order to make a Bakerloo connection and avoid a hefty wait, you have six minutes to run between North and West Harrow. I've done it in 6:20, but that was in jeans, and I had eaten far too big a lunch before I practised that!
Well my lack of any form of ability to run fast, or even walk at a semi-decent speed, on that North to West Harrow run resulted in me rushing to the top of the stairs at West Harrow station, with everyone else on the train, desperately trying to hold the doors open for me, and me spilling the contents of my back (largely food and drink) all over the platform!

And can I take this opportunity to mention that it was that very moment that resulted in the phrase "Organised Chaos" ? Oh yeah, touch my feet, for I instigated some sort of catchphrase that had an interweb forum named after it :D
Root wrote:If and when I do a "serious" challenge, I reckon I'll be motivated enough to get a sub-six-minute time.

If you don't make that train, I think it'd be best to board the next one and get off at Northwick Park, rather than do the turnaround at Preston Road. That station can be done later when you are up doing the Royal Burys.
I remember Stephen (Karahan - sp?) and Sam (Zeibura) mentioning that that's what they were doing, on Tube Relief day, come to think of it.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

doing stanmore - wembley - preston road - wembley and south is very time consuming, and so is doing uxbridge - west harrow - rayners lane and south. basically if you miss out west harrow in the early stages (i.e. just go direct from watford), and you go to preston road and back, you only have 2 minutes to run from northwick park to kenton. i always just said the solution is just to do the bloody harrow run. its only 6 minutes!
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I think practice is paying off, my last time clocked in at 05 minutes 30 seconds!
spoogie37
Zone 1

Post by spoogie37 »

Made my first attempt at North Harrow-West Harrow yesterday - 8 minutes. Practice required I fear - shouldn't have had so many beers the night before. Thought: when the leaf fall timetable comes into effect (ie leaving Amersham three minutes earlier), would this have any effect on the Harrow run or is it still six minutes?

I guess when I come to do my attempt, then whoever starts the clock will then need to get down to West Harrow to hold the train there for me.

Incidentally I also took the U1 bus from Uxbridge to West Ruislip. I came out the main entrance to Uxbridge Station onto a pedestrianised High Street about three or four minutes walk from a bus stop and when the bus came the next stop was - Uxbridge Station! It took about four minutes to get there as well as it had to go round a one way system. Moral: leave the station by the right exit (I think its turn right after going through the ticket barriers). Might actually be better the get the U1 from West Ruislip to Uxbridge: theres only one exit from West Ruislip, so less potential for mistakes. Also, going from U to WR the bus stops opposite the station so theres a road to cross - that is the sort of thing that can mean the difference between catching a train and missing it.

BTW, does the U1 pass Ickenham Station? Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing it.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Ickenham station is on a road just off the main road travelled by the U1 - you can't see it unless you really know where to look.

The leaf fall timetable means that all journeys depart Amersham/Chesham a little earlier, but by the time they get to Rickmansworth they're back on "normal" times. So no is the answer to your question.
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

Just to point out - at no point have Steve and myself/Sam made the North Harrow/West Harrow run, due to the varying time-frame for the said 'light jog'... so far anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 1/2...

Proving that you can still manage it even if you **** up the run!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Blimey, is Northwick Park to Kenton in two minutes actually possible?! I've often done it at a reasonable jog in three minutes, but that seems to be pushing it slightly.
And of course trains never arrive on time, so you'd probably miss it anyway...
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

My route has a reasonable seven-minute time from NP to Kenton - two would be possible if you're an excellent runner but is too close for comfort.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Seven minutes sounds leisurely to me, having never done the run, but having merely looked at it on the map.

I still can't see the advantage in doubling back on the Met though. Maybe actually doing all this business will metaphorically slap the facts into my face like a wet kipper's worth of information.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk