TUBE 12 MEDIA ATTEMPT/TUBE 13 CHARLIE,CALAMITY & COMPLETION

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Re: Media Attempt.

Post by Soup Dragon »

I remember after my first attempt that I hobbled around for a couple of days. Since then I've never felt as bad as the first one. On a couple of attempts I've even gone into work the following morning. I think my general fitness improved and I a few weeks before each challenge I practice runs up to a distance of around 1.5km just to improve general stamina.
Hope that you can join us for Comic Relief, we still have an opening for Spiderman! :)
One day I shall return!
CSouthwell
Zone 1

Post by CSouthwell »

You don't know how tempting it is for me right now.

IF the knee is better by the end of next week, i think it'd be well on the cards.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Soup Dragon wrote:I remember after my first attempt that I hobbled around for a couple of days. Since then I've never felt as bad as the first one. On a couple of attempts I've even gone into work the following morning. I think my general fitness improved and I a few weeks before each challenge I practice runs up to a distance of around 1.5km just to improve general stamina.
Hope that you can join us for Comic Relief, we still have an opening for Spiderman! :)
U mean u actually practise running here is my tip have 10 pints of Guinness the day before it gives u the vitamins needed to attempt some of these silly runs.I think half of the reason we were not quicker is that we had no luck with buses that day so had to run it was fine for me but not Charlie and tangy.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

CSouthwell wrote:You don't know how tempting it is for me right now.

IF the knee is better by the end of next week, i think it'd be well on the cards.
It'll be fine! The days after the Tube Challenge my legs always feel a little stiff but it passes quick enough.
CSouthwell
Zone 1

Post by CSouthwell »

1.5K is just under a mile isnt it?

I swear some of the runs we did yesterday were over that? - Andi?

I think I'll be on 3 mile jogs to start the day off once i get back on my feet. Really fancy getting back in shape. Want to do a triathlon competitivly before I'm 30, best start building up stamina now.
CSouthwell
Zone 1

Post by CSouthwell »

That would be a tempting start to the day, wake you up a bit, and would be really nice and fresh in the early morning.

think its rather hilly though... Be the thing that would put me off.
palkanetoijala31

scrxisi wrote:1.5k is just under a mile, yep. It can;t be long before Andi starts pulling http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 53809&z=13 out of the bag I reckon :P
Unfortunately this is not viable option but it be an interesting challenge neverless.To answer Charlie question 40 kilometres = 25 miles so it about 1.6km to a mile.Your longest run yesterday was 1.29 miles from new barnet to cockfosters.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Glad you enjoyed your first full network Charlie even with the hassle of the Oyster card and the knee incident sounds very painful :shock:

Hope you are all patched up and can join us on 13th March

:D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Funny thing was we met 2 other tube challengers whom obviously started at Amersham that day on the Mill Hill East train they darted in the loos at finchley when it was a 3min wait for the high Barnet train.

I love to know what time they got to Cockfosters and how their plans went for the rest of day im pretty sure they never got the 10.04 out of cockfosters which i could have got or the 10.07 which left at 10.08.

I hope they got 10.12 they were waiting for the 307 bus we told them to get on 84 bus like us for part of way as there was no electronic board at bus stop saying 307 anytime soon.
palkanetoijala31

Starkey7 wrote:Hold on, what happened at Aldgate East that required the police?!
He didnt like us filming on his station the miserable jobsworth b*stard.
CSouthwell
Zone 1

Post by CSouthwell »

I can walk on it onw without my full body wincing and requiring me to halt.

not great. but improving. :) just as well, i'd been running out of food, and didnt want to hobble like Quasimodo to the supermarket.
palkanetoijala31

CSouthwell wrote:I can walk on it onw without my full body wincing and requiring me to halt.

not great. but improving. :) just as well, i'd been running out of food, and didnt want to hobble like Quasimodo to the supermarket.
U mean ur lovely girlfriend didnt offer to shop for u get in line quick smart.
CSouthwell
Zone 1

Post by CSouthwell »

Yeah, well we have both been really busy. Back on track now though, food has materialised.

whooop.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Funny thing was we met 2 other tube challengers whom obviously started at Amersham that day on the Mill Hill East train they darted in the loos at finchley when it was a 3min wait for the high Barnet train.

I love to know what time they got to Cockfosters and how their plans went for the rest of day im pretty sure they never got the 10.04 out of cockfosters which i could have got or the 10.07 which left at 10.08.

I hope they got 10.12 they were waiting for the 307 bus we told them to get on 84 bus like us for part of way as there was no electronic board at bus stop saying 307 anytime soon.
Finally managed to get registered with Tube Forum, and can answer your question! :)

We did get the 10:12 from Cockfosters (which proceeded to get delayed at Arnos Grove). However, time was made up, and I'm pleased to say we completed all 270 stations in 18h 41m 48s. Not a record time, but completion was all we were aiming for this, our first attempt! (Plus raising some money for charity). I'll write it up in more detail when I get time.

Oh, and I'm sorry for slowing down the 84 for us to get on board. That may've cost you the 10.04... :wink:
palkanetoijala31

RobbieM wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:Funny thing was we met 2 other tube challengers whom obviously started at Amersham that day on the Mill Hill East train they darted in the loos at finchley when it was a 3min wait for the high Barnet train.

Finally managed to get registered with Tube Forum, and can answer your question! :)

We did get the 10:12 from Cockfosters (which proceeded to get delayed at Arnos Grove). However, time was made up, and I'm pleased to say we completed all 270 stations in 18h 41m 48s. Not a record time, but completion was all we were aiming for this, our first attempt! (Plus raising some money for charity). I'll write it up in more detail when I get time.

Oh, and I'm sorry for slowing down the 84 for us to get on board. That may've cost you the 10.04... :wink:
It wouldnt have cost me i was over 4 mins ahead of charlie and tangy at cockfosters and would have made with 10 secs spare but we had planned 10.12 out so u learnt a lesson dont rely on 1 plan have a few back ups although u quick trip too the loo at finchley central impressed by that i didnt even know there were loos there.