TUBE 12 MEDIA ATTEMPT/TUBE 13 CHARLIE,CALAMITY & COMPLETION

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
palkanetoijala31

Re: Media Attempt.

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Im not sure which 1 but 1 said he was an old friend of geoff,s so that is probably why he got involved.Good to know that they finished and they taught me a tip too.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

scrxisi wrote:RobbieM - hello and welcome :)

I'm interested to know how you came to be doing the challenge - it's easy to assume, and I kinda have (whilst always knowing it might not be the case), that anyone interested in visiting every tube station in a day would end up here before they attempted it. Had you come across us before you went out? Was it just a charity thing or are you signed up with Guinness and logging/statementing/photographing for record purposes too?

I'm kinda nosey, but also intruiged - who knows how many people are out there without us knowing? We may wake up one day and find the record broken without us (on here I mean) knowing who did it!!

I have just checked, it is still who we thought it was as of today. Good... :)
Well, it was a mixture of things really. Being an old friend of Geoff had an bit of an influence - though I haven't seen him since 1994 (and he wasn't Tube Challenging then.) Being a sightseer, I'd travelled the whole tube network at different times over previous years - finally completing my last station (Watford)in November 2008. Reporting this in my Christmas newsletter, I commented on the fact that I'd heard it could be done in about 18 hours (it had taken me about 18 years...). Reading this, my friend Nick said to me, 'well why not?'.

I initially dismissed the idea - I knew it needed an early start at Amersham (and I DON'T do mornings). Then Nick pointed out that his parents-in-law could accommodate us in Chalfont-St-Giles, and then I warmed to the idea ... then I got hotter ...

...and during Christmas then into January, I started researching routes (TFL website is very useful), got obsessed with the idea, and eventually ended up with a route that we were happy to test out. I didn't discover Tube Forum until I'd pretty much finished working out the route (though I had read the wikipedia page which gave me the clue that Heathrow may be a better finish than Upminster these days!)

And that's what this first attempt was - testing the route out. And really pleased to complete on our first attempt! I will write up in a bit more detail when I get chance. :) [This has now been done, and can be viewed under "RobbieM #1 - The Novice Attempt"]
Last edited by RobbieM on 27 Feb 2009, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote:Reporting this in my Christmas newsletter
You're not one of these people who sends out newsletters to your friends and family at Christmas are you?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote:
RobbieM wrote:Reporting this in my Christmas newsletter
You're not one of these people who sends out newsletters to your friends and family at Christmas are you?
Er, hmmm, yes, I er, am. But I'm assured that people actually enjoy reading my letter when it comes...
RobbieM
All Zones

RobbieM #1 - The Novice Attempt

Post by RobbieM »

And the good news is, I finally managed to write about my attempt! It's listed in the Forum under "RobbieM #1 - The Novice Attempt ". Should tell you everything you need to know... ...if you didn't know it already! :)