Post by greatkingrat »

I wonder if Guinness have a rule banning the use of skis between stations :D
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Re: Flying Finn 12th attempt

Post by Soup Dragon »

mps247 wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:Slovenia is having a great winter in the Julian Alps, over 1 metre of snow at Kranjska Gora. Unfortunately I have no chance to go skiing this season :(
With easyJet flights, and winter being a cheap time to fly to Ljubljana, it's amazing that more people don't come here for skiing.

From what I have been hearing from my colleagues, it sounds like the winter this year is fairly normal, and in fact last year was mild! I suppose that they are used to these weather conditions, so they have the infrastructure in place to deal with it. The grit vans and snow ploughs were out last night when I walked home, and the roads were clear this morning. I think that if snow was a more common phenomenon in London, it would be business as usual today...

... unfortunately, that would destroy the magic...
People moan that we are never prepared, but what is the point of investing millions of pounds in snow ploughs etc... for something that only happens every 10 years. People make out that the Germans are more efficient than us but it is somewhat a myth. I was in FRA last year and 1/2 cm of snow created absolute chaos, FRA gets a lot of snow and I was surprised how poor they were at getting the snow cleared and keeping passengers informed as to what was happening, it was a total shambles.
One day I shall return!
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Soup Dragon wrote:People moan that we are never prepared, but what is the point of investing millions of pounds in snow ploughs etc... for something that only happens every 10 years. People make out that the Germans are more efficient than us but it is somewhat a myth. I was in FRA last year and 1/2 cm of snow created absolute chaos, FRA gets a lot of snow and I was surprised how poor they were at getting the snow cleared and keeping passengers informed as to what was happening, it was a total shambles.
Sorry Soup Dragon, I hope you didn't misunderstand me. My post wasn't supposed to be a complaint. I agree with you fully - there is no point in investing the money for something that happens once every decade.

It was actually me showing some jealousy. You see, snow is very common here, and being a small country, Slovenia doesn't need that much investment to clear the streets of snow. For me, a day of snow has lost its magic. When I look out of the window and see it is snowing, I just look at it as a normal event. Unfortunately, there is nothing special about it anymore.

That's what I am a little envious of. Snow actually has a meaning where you are. It is something special. I've lost that feeling. Do you see what I mean?
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Snow is nothing special, it's just being a pain and causing me unecessary stress!! :x
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Sam wrote:Snow is nothing special, it's just being a pain and causing me unecessary stress!! :x
... and I miss being able to complain about it too!
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

Even in the south of the UK we get seriously disrupted by snow considerably more often than every decade! I'd guess that the number of "snow days" [days when many people are unable to work due to snow] averages out at rather more than one per year over the longer term. Each day a person is unable to work reduces their annual productivity [making some naive assumptions] by about 0.5%. If the overall economy shrinks by 0.5%, people scream about the recession.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Agreed jbom1 but today is what I call real snow, the type that we havent seen for many a year. Normally if we get snow (in London) it is just a dusting and it's gone by 10am. It's rarely been cold enough to snow during the day so any snow has normally just fallen by night and then washed away first thing in the morning. The snow last night was pure powder snow which could easily have graced any alpine resort and it had that wonderful sound under your feet that we don't normally get in the UK with the normal wet snow.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Well me and Sara did get home slightly delayed by about 20 mins we even got home before u Soupie getting back on topic im glad i chose next week for my attempt.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Well me and Sara did get home slightly delayed by about 20 mins we even got home before u Soupie getting back on topic im glad i chose next week for my attempt.
Yes it's good you've picked next week, that will give you time to go out and buy a pair of cross country ski's :)
For your sake I hope the weather improves, but personally I love the snow.
One day I shall return!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

scrxisi wrote: Begs the question, am I really so sad that if anyone ever needs public transport advice they scroll down to "Matt tubegeek" in their phonebook and press dial...? :) :)
Well, now you mention it.... :wink:
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver