ZONE 1 WARM UP EVENT OR RUN AFTER EVENT 2009

All you need to know and discuss about the 2009 Zone 1 Challenge.
palkanetoijala31

Re: ZONE 1 WARM UP EVENT OR RUN AFTER EVENT 2009

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Well it doesnt matter because in the list despite missing them 2 stations fprgotten there were not included.
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

I know that Soup Dragon is the BERC, but I thought I would just post this anyway seeing as Andi has sent out PMs for zone 1 day, and it is probably time that we finalise the R15 event to be held on the Saturday (the day after zone 1). Are there any objections to a 12:00 pm start at Willesden Green?

Also, who will be able to make it? Add your name to the list I guess...

mps247

(There is no need to sign up for the R15 on the forum as such - it is just so the person who draws the stations knows how many envelopes to bring. It is quite possible that people who are new to tube challenging, and a little scared and unsure of it, might have the experience of their lives on zone 1 day and want to relive it, so I guess letting Andi know on zone 1 day of your intent to partake would be fine.)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

mps247 wrote:Are there any objections to a 12:00 pm start at Willesden Green?

Also, who will be able to make it? Add your name to the list I guess...

mps247
Going Underground (any start and time)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

mps247
jbom1
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Being near the top of the R15 leaderboard theer will be no doubt I attending this R15 and will hopefully see me to the top of that list! Bear in mind the travel limitations from Walthamstow on that day with no NLL or Victoria line.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

mps247
jbom1
tangy (I presume from previous post)
al (start time fine)
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

tangy wrote:Being near the top of the R15 leaderboard theer will be no doubt I attending this R15 and will hopefully see me to the top of that list! Bear in mind the travel limitations from Walthamstow on that day with no NLL or Victoria line.
So my cunning plan to stop you coming by arranging engineering works hasn't worked?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

mps247
jbom1
tangy (I presume from previous post)
al (start time fine)
scrxisi (there in some capacity )
Soup Dragon

Think it's 100% for 12:00 at Willesden Green.
One day I shall return!
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

I'd have loved to make two tube challenges in a weekend, but upcoming exams (and required revision) and a 12.30 wedding way down in Sutton make it rather impractical. :(
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

I'm afraid that for the same reason as Edgemaster we won't be making an appearance on the Saturday, however all being we well have a second crack at the All Lines challenge prior to the Zone 1 on the Friday.

If this was aimed at us, then apologies to mps247 and his comment about "people who are new to tube challenging, a little scared and unsure of it and might have the experience of their lives on zone 1 day and want to relive it." It's more that we had a fabulous time with the Supertram and our previous All Lines attempt so thought so we want to relive both with the Zone 1 challenge, gradually increasing the difficulty! However mps I'm sure we'll still have a wicked time with you on the Friday.
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

By the way we're not planning on gatecrashing the wedding in Sutton lol! Just clear that up before someone else picks up on it and tells the bouncers at the reception to stop those rogue teenagers from Sheffield from getting in!
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

Oh, I'm a teenager myself, I'm not actually /attending/ the wedding, just helping with the bellringing for it - it makes a good income in the summer :)
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Mitchell&BrownLook wrote:If this was aimed at us, then apologies to mps247 and his comment about "people who are new to tube challenging, a little scared and unsure of it and might have the experience of their lives on zone 1 day and want to relive it." It's more that we had a fabulous time with the Supertram and our previous All Lines attempt so thought so we want to relive both with the Zone 1 challenge, gradually increasing the difficulty! However mps I'm sure we'll still have a wicked time with you on the Friday.
Please don't apologise - my comment was aimed generally rather than specifically at anybody. Glad to hear that you are coming to zone 1 day. See you on Friday!
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

Actually, it has just occurred to me that a lot of people who have the experience of their lives on Friday might not know what the R15 is. You can find out about it from posts in other topics on this forum, but it might be worth mentioning something here.

Fifteen random stations (from zones 1 and 2) are drawn, and everybody meets at the first station on the list. Only the first station is known, and the clock starts when the remaining 14 stations are revealed. You then need to visit these 14 in the shortest time you can. There is no way to prepare a route for this challenge beforehand - you need to rely on your knowledge of the geographical location of stations, bus routes and national rail timetables. You can take as much time as you like to plan your route, but the clock is ticking while you do it, so you need to find the right balance between planning and actually running it. You also need to be able to adapt your route while you are on the move - during my last R15, I changed my route at least 3 times. There are a large number of possible routes, and it is difficult to come up with the optimal route in such a short space of time. With the benefit of hindsight, most people realise that their routes weren't that great once the challenge is completed.

In my opinion (and this is open to argument) this is probably the most important point for anybody who is new: because the skills required for this challenge are quite different from those needed for the other challenges, novices are on a more level playing field when competing against experienced tube challengers. The last R15 was my first challenge, and I managed to come fourth (out of eight). I'm sure that had it been a zone 1 and 2 challenge, I would have come last!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Probably one of my favourites as well even though i dont seem to do very well on them :cry: