ZONE 1 CHALLENGE CUP 2009 OFFICIAL RULES

All you need to know and discuss about the 2009 Zone 1 Challenge.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

1) The goal of the competition is to visit all 64 Zone 1 London Underground stations in as short time as possible.

2) Visiting a station is defined as arriving at or departing from or passing through the station on a LU train.You are allowed to leave the Underground system and move between stations but then only by foot or public transportation.(ie no taxis etc.)

3) In this competition we trust the participants and only require the most basic evidence of their achievement ie how they got from start to finish passing through all stations

4) Participants may compete individually Solo or preferably in teams of 2-4 people.

5) A maximum time of 4 hours till 5pm is allowed for completion.Participants not completing the 64 stations in 4 hours will be ranked according to number of visited stations (tie breaking for podium places will be the split times).

6) A random start station out of the 64 will be drawn on the day Any Zone 1 LU station except Vauxhall,St. James's Park,Sloane Square,Westminster and Kings cross (as they have been used in previous years).Also Blackfriars (closed) This makes a 1 in 58 draw.

7) When the organisers set off the teams at 1pm GMT precisely each must depart from the start station by LU train. They can freely select the first train for their intended first interchange. They MAY NOT wait for a second train to the same station following the same route. (See the comment section for more details).

8) Participants are obliged to behave (i will set good example) and not unnecessarily disturb the general public pushing people out of way swearing etc.

9) Registration for the competition is done through PM to me Palkanetoijala31.A week before the competition a gathering point and more info will be sent to all registered parties.

COMMENTS ON THE RULES
1a) Paddington (H&C) is one station, Paddington (Dis/Cir/Bak) is one station, Edgware Road (Bak) is one station and Edgware road (Cir/Dis/H&C) is one station making a total of 64 Zone 1 stations.
1b) Time is measured from the moment the first train finally closes its door for departure until the doors open at (or after) the last station visit. Each team must measure their own time down to seconds. Note, this is slightly different than the GWR rules. This also means that if you visit your last zone 1 station by departing from that station, then your watch must continue running until you arrive at the next station along the line.
1c) Should multiple teams start and finish on the same trains (at the same station) they are ranked equal, regardless of the exact measured time.

2) If questions on this arise, the organisers will rule by interpreting the GWR rules in this area.

3) This means that train numbers, witness statements etc are not needed. Exact log of each intermediate times is not required either.

4a) The organisers recommend 2-3 people in each team. Teams with more than 4 people may be allowed by the organisers on a case by case basis.
4b) Should a team become split up during the competition it's permissible to continue as separate entities, provided time can be measured properly. It's also allowed to join back together again. However, members from different starting teams cannot formally join during the competition.

5) This rule has been introduced to avoid a, potentially lengthy, sit and wait strategy in the event of line closures.

6 When the start station has been drawn all participants will go there and regather ASAP. Unless otherwise directed, teams try to rejoin in the ticket hall INSIDE the gates ASAP.

7a) The interpretation for a Baker Street Start is that a team wishing to go east along the Circle, must try to catch the first train, either a Met train or a Circle/H&C train, even though these depart from different platforms.
7b) The interpretation for a High Street Kensington start is that a team wishing to go to Earl´s Court, must try to catch the first train regardless of whether this is a Kensington (Olympia) train or a Wimbledon train, even though these depart from different platforms.
7c) This also means e.g. at a Moorgate start, a team may decide to wait for an east bound H&C (for Aldgate East), a clockwise Circle for travel beyond Aldgate or any SSL train for Liverpool Street. However a team MUST NOT wait for the correct sequence (like H&C-Met-Circle and expect to make the Aldgate run to catch that Circle train...). It's allowed to wait for a Nor NB for King's Cross even though there may be an earlier SSL for King's Cross. Also, any type of restarts, for whatever reasons, are not allowed.
7d) Blackfriars is closed u must pass through this station at some point.

8) This means that care should be taken when overtaking people in passageways. It also means that doors must not be held for any extensive time period. However, controlled running is of course allowed.

9a) The reason to keep the location secret is to keep some control over the size of the event and the participants.
9b) The gathering will take place at a central London location between 11.45am-12.10pm
9c) It's permissible, though not preferred, to turn up on the day without prior registration (provided someone tells you where to turn up).

AND BEFORE ANYBODY ASKS YES I BLATANTLY COPIED HAKAN RULES FROM LAST YEAR

with a few modifications to suit my Organising team
Last edited by palkanetoijala31 on 25 Jan 2009, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: ZONE 1 CHALLENGE CUP 2009 OFFICIAL RULES

Post by tubeguru »

Now I know I said that we shouldn't argue over everything beforehand and let you get on with it, but I was just wondering why you are exempting Bank as a starting station because of "bad interchanges" when starting there would surely be a GOOD thing, as it would eliminate the need to change there at all.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

I can understand ur point Neil but some people will do routes for all possible 58 stations out of 64 (im giving it straight on the line bank will not be a starting station)so cutting it down to 57 im the organiser and what i say goes.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I know that, but I don't understand a word of your explanation.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

To avoid possible last minute indecision of route planning if Bank was pulled out for example because of difficulties of changing lines there.Say u were on the Northern line at 12.58pm then decided hang on i think central line start would be better it be a nightmare exchanging there for a 1pm start.So to simplify it Bank is not a starting station.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:To avoid possible last minute indecision of route planning if Bank was pulled out for example because of difficulties of changing lines there.Say u were on the Northern line at 12.58pm then decided hang on i think central line start would be better it be a nightmare exchanging there for a 1pm start.So to simplify it Bank is not a starting station.
?? Not true. Firstly I doubt many would change their minds last minute. Secondly, a common misconception about Bank is that the Northern/Central Line tunnel has been closed, it has in fact stayed open throughout the works and this is not going to change. The work is not being carried out anywhere near the tunnel in question. To get between Northern/Central line platforms would take the same amount of time as many other interchanges at large stations and most likely quicker than some at Kings Cross St Pancras. The rules that Hakan drafted were at a time when no one was sure (even Bank station staff) on what was exactly happening with the interchanges at the station.
palkanetoijala31

joy54 wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:To avoid possible last minute indecision of route planning if Bank was pulled out for example because of difficulties of changing lines there.Say u were on the Northern line at 12.58pm then decided hang on i think central line start would be better it be a nightmare exchanging there for a 1pm start.So to simplify it Bank is not a starting station.
?? Not true. Firstly I doubt many would change their minds last minute. Secondly, a common misconception about Bank is that the Northern/Central Line tunnel has been closed, it has in fact stayed open throughout the works and this is not going to change. The work is not being carried out anywhere near the tunnel in question. To get between Northern/Central line platforms would take the same amount of time as many other interchanges at large stations and most likely quicker than some at Kings Cross St Pancras. The rules that Hakan drafted were at a time when no one was sure (even Bank station staff) on what was exactly happening with the interchanges at the station.
If this can be proven by urself to me (visual evidence etc.) then i will include up to 58 stations if not then tough luck the ruling stands the chance of it being pulled out is 1 in 58 anyway pretty long odds.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
joy54 wrote:
If this can be proven by urself to me (visual evidence etc.) then i will include up to 58 stations if not then tough luck the ruling stands the chance of it being pulled out is 1 in 58 anyway pretty long odds.
Copied directly from wikipedia (I would hope an independent source):
Bank is one of the most congested stations at peak times on the whole of the Underground. In consequence, Transport for London have committed themselves to significantly transforming the station and removing some of the bottlenecks, and rendering the level of mobility impaired access much higher. As of March 31, 2008 until August 2009, TfL have publicised that there will be no interchange between the Bank and Monument stations, to allow major escalator work between the two stations. In practice, the closed interchanges are between the DLR and the Central line, between the DLR and the Circle/District line platforms, and from the Circle/District line platforms (in that direction only). It is currently not possible to interchange from the Circle/District line platforms to the Northern Line platforms (or any other line) without leaving the station and walking along King William Street.
If you don't believe this was written by an independent person you can always check the wikipedia history.
palkanetoijala31

U film it (or show me personally) and prove this interchange is correct then i edit to 58 stations if not then tough luck im not going on written evidence for a station i have never changed at and the voice on the tube says dont bother.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:U film it (or show me personally) and prove this interchange is correct then i edit to 58 stations if not then tough luck im not going on written evidence for a station i have never changed at and the voice on the tube says dont bother.
Hmm, so I am not telling the truth and neither is the author of the piece on wikipedia?? That makes absolutely no sense.

I frequently change at the station and can tell you the tunnel is OPEN and has been for a long time. Why would anyone have any reason to deceive you on this fact. I realise you need to assert your authority to keep order for the event but Andi this really is going a little far surely?

If you still want proof yourself I'm sure when your up researching for Zone 1, Bank won't be too far away from one of your other stations needed for your research.
palkanetoijala31

joy54 wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:U film it (or show me personally) and prove this interchange is correct then i edit to 58 stations if not then tough luck im not going on written evidence for a station i have never changed at and the voice on the tube says dont bother.
Hmm, so I am not telling the truth and neither is the author of the piece on wikipedia?? That makes absolutely no sense.

I frequently change at the station and can tell you the tunnel is OPEN and has been for a long time. Why would anyone have any reason to deceive you on this fact. I realise you need to assert your authority to keep order for the event but Andi this really is going a little far surely?

If you still want proof yourself I'm sure when your up researching for Zone 1, Bank won't be too far away from one of your other stations needed for your research.
Read into urself im too busy to research my own route by organising (plus Filmed attempt, Comic Relief and cycling from John o groats to Lands End in April) the whole event and making it a success.Its nothing to do with deceiving me i trust ur honesty on the matter and whomever wrote the piece on wikipedia.But u provide the evidence if u want it to be 1 of the 58 the chances are very slight it be drawn out so what does it f***ing matter.

Sorry for being rude but steven if u want it to work then stop squabbling over little matters.I have decided it will be 1 in 57 draw despite last year option this has nothing to do with hakan,s really good idea.But it saves time for myself at the drawing stage because all stations will be in the hat prepared already then i can do photos and maybe interviews at the meeting point.

Yours sincerly Andi james (golly gosh im being polite.)
palkanetoijala31

Monument is a seperate station and u can only go west or east from it and u have leave by lu train.
palkanetoijala31

If u put it on youtube i watch it and make my mind up about it and edit the rules accordingly.I was trying to help any rookies that possibly dont know the horrible changes at Bank (ie if u were doing it the first time and the train announcement says dont change here u would follow their advice) I dont understand the hoohah about the inclusion of a station that probably wont get picked anyway.
CSouthwell
Zone 1

Post by CSouthwell »

Sod's law it will be piced if the rules are changed though huh?

:)
palkanetoijala31

Sods Law is right :D But i do have a good route from there if need be so maybe im doing people a favour by excluding it for now.