Zone 1 Challenge - FRIDAY 29th MAY 2009

All you need to know and discuss about the 2009 Zone 1 Challenge.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Re: Zone 1 Challenge - FRIDAY 29th MAY 2009

Post by RichieG »

OK, fair point and I shall not post it here and also remove the one posted above. I had assumed that as one was posted earlier on in this thread that it would be OK to place this updated version.

I stand by my 'copyright smopyright' comment though :)

(Joy54: I think the issue isn't the hosting of the map, more the fact that the map has been edited (or 'bastardised' as TG so colourfully put it!) which is the perceived problem.)
Last edited by RichieG on 28 Jan 2009, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

It's not about the copyright - it's about the fact that the image has been altered without permission. You may or may not be aware that Geoff received emails from LU threatening him with legal action because he was hosting altered versions of the tube map on his website.

Posting an unaltered tubemap would have been fine.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Having said that I DID originally say "copyright image" but what I should have said was "altered copyright image".

Whatever. :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Mr Mitchell and Mr Brown wish to ask any seasoned challengers for help on Zone 1 Day.If anybody is willing to help them on the day seeing as they have limited knowledge of the network and would have a hard job devising a route.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Mr Mitchell and Mr Brown wish to ask any seasoned challengers for help on Zone 1 Day.If anybody is willing to help them on the day seeing as they have limited knowledge of the network and would have a hard job devising a route.
That's all part of the fun isn't it :?: A team of newbies taking on the seasoned pro's...
I think most challengers would have broken their duck on Z1 day.....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Going Underground: we would agree that a large part of the fun is in the "not knowing", however we were just asking anyone who has slightly more experience than us (with non at all) if they would be willing to team up with us. This person/people don't have to be a season pro, it's just knowing some of the little intricacies that no matter how much you pour over the tube map with street maps, timetables and play around with the TfL journey planner, like we have been, you aren't going to learn. Examples of this would include knowing where there is a quick connection between lines at the same station and where there isn't, where there is a door to the exact street above you want for a run and which carriage to be in to get a quicker time.

While on topic, we want to dispel any possible ideas that all we are doing is going along for the ride. We'll both put suggestions out there for discussion when deciding a route and contemplating the possible changes to this as we go along. It's just simply that some suggestions of ours may be ridiculous when you know the actual geography of each station, we know from reading on this board that it can be problematical to change at King's Cross St. Pancras, but with 6 lines and therefore 30 possible permutations we've no idea which are the easy ones and which are the difficult ones!

In retrospect perhaps "help" was the wrong word, perhaps it should have been "advice", however if you want to learn more about us then head over to the Sheffield Supertram page of this board.

Anyhow, we are both very much looking forward to meeting all of this community, learning about the tube and having a great day!

See you there Going Underground, Andi, mps247 and all the rest of you!
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

There is a very slight possibility that I may be able to join in the fun. If (a very big IF) I do go along the I would be very happy to join up with
M&B. Not a seasoned pro, but have attempted full challenge for charity more than once. Completed once although we did cheat by using a car for one leg; but only to ensure we completed and thus raised more money!!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I can safely say to M&B that it's quite possible to be competitive without intimate knowledge of the system. When I first did an attempt (read all about it) all planning was done "remotely". Second time around was the Z1C 2005 (read all about it) - which we actually won! I also think I've proven over time that it wasn't all beginner's luck... (read all about it)

However, I fully respect your idea of having somewhat experienced company for the day!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
palkanetoijala31

Well u have had the answers and replies it is as hakan says quite reasonable easy and competitive.i might even do a full network in the days before hand if u wish to try that.
palkanetoijala31

If anybody would like to start eating some kinder eggs and posting empty pods them to my address after asking in pm be most obliged.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Personally I was just planning on 'winging it'... :) Probably do complete pants but it'll be a laugh :lol:
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Dear one and all: thanks for the vote of confidence! We were perhaps over complicating it slightly, but then again to a rookie the arguments and counter arguments just for the rules section had us rather worried. Thanks for the offers of help also, we're keeping our options open at the moment though, but special thanks to mps247 and to hwoldge, who've opened our minds a little to some things we hadn't thought of and have been especially helpful.

You can tell we've reaffirmed our interest: we want a matter cleared up on the rules, talk about going full circle!

Thanks again, and keep up the offers, nothings set in stone yet!
Zoe
Zone 2

Post by Zoe »

Is it possible this challenge could have to be canceled due to the swine flu?
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Well CrunchySaviour wears a mask anyway, what's the problem! :wink:
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Zoe wrote:Is it possible this challenge could have to be canceled due to the swine flu?
I guess that unless the authorities somehow forbids or explicitly discourages commuting etc., it'll be up to the individual participants, as long as we have an organiser in place!

Personally, I'm not that concerned unless there is a major outbreak in London at the time. I'm sure I'll consider using a face mask though...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)