Zone 1 Challenge - FRIDAY 29th MAY 2009

All you need to know and discuss about the 2009 Zone 1 Challenge.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Zone 1 Challenge - FRIDAY 29th MAY 2009

Post by tubeguru »

OK, let's just have a poll then.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I do have 1 request is that some volunteer or more would like to be the Video Man for the whole day covering the entire event and their own personal zone 1 attempt.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Thanks Tubeguru. I know that you're the moderator but there's only one man around here who's allowed to use bad language.
palkanetoijala31

ME
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Exactly.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I can't argue with that.

Member of sweet FA
tpfkar
Zone 4

Re: Zone 1 Challenge - FRIDAY 29th MAY 2009 - ALL DISCUSSION

Post by tpfkar »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:It just goes to show that anybody can win this it usually down to a bit of luck on 1 change that decides it maybe we should have a betting odds system this year here is what i think the odds should be

Hakan,Lars and whomever else they bring fav 2-1
Starkey (Zone 1 record holder) 3-1
Joy 54 6-1 (despite poor record)
Scrxisi 6-1
Any of the Browns 7-1
Tangy 8-1
Greatkingrat 9-1
A2 12-1
Mr Dust Mask 13-1
Anybody else 16-1
Me and Sara 20-1

or around those sort of lines.
If the Dustmask is making an appearance, I might just have to take you on at the 16-1 there....

A couple of thoughts:
-I felt the R15 worked well as a warm-up in 2007 as it was convenient for the people who'd come down to London for the Z1, we could give the certificates out on the day, and it built up the atmosphere for the main event. Not sure you'd get that so much the morning after.
-We were going to have a London MP draw the starting station out of the hat in 2007 until they sadly had to pull out at the last minute due to illness. It's probably not a big deal if the event isn't being publicised much outside these forums, however if you are looking for Marshall-style media whorage, then a celebrity name would add to a press release or help generate info on a local paper/radio station. We were hoping to publicise better in 2007 but ran out of time.
-The 2006 win was a little hollow due to the Vauxhall problems; but there were still enough teams who got through to make it competitive.

I hope you enjoy organising the event palkanetoijala31
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

tpfkar wrote:-The 2006 win was a little hollow due to the Vauxhall problems; but there were still enough teams who got through to make it competitive.
Exactly - you know who the real winners were that day ... ;)

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

tpfkar wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:It just goes to show that anybody can win this it usually down to a bit of luck on 1 change that decides it maybe we should have a betting odds system this year here is what i think the odds should be

Hakan,Lars and whomever else they bring fav 2-1
Starkey (Zone 1 record holder) 3-1
Joy 54 6-1 (despite poor record)
Scrxisi 6-1
Any of the Browns 7-1
Tangy 8-1
Greatkingrat 9-1
A2 12-1
Mr Dust Mask 13-1
Anybody else 16-1
Me and Sara 20-1

or around those sort of lines.
If the Dustmask is making an appearance, I might just have to take you on at the 16-1 there....

A couple of thoughts:
-I felt the R15 worked well as a warm-up in 2007 as it was convenient for the people who'd come down to London for the Z1, we could give the certificates out on the day, and it built up the atmosphere for the main event. Not sure you'd get that so much the morning after.
-We were going to have a London MP draw the starting station out of the hat in 2007 until they sadly had to pull out at the last minute due to illness. It's probably not a big deal if the event isn't being publicised much outside these forums, however if you are looking for Marshall-style media whorage, then a celebrity name would add to a press release or help generate info on a local paper/radio station. We were hoping to publicise better in 2007 but ran out of time.
-The 2006 win was a little hollow due to the Vauxhall problems; but there were still enough teams who got through to make it competitive.

I hope you enjoy organising the event palkanetoijala31
I will enjoy and afterwards get massively drunk as usual if u wish to organise a R15 the night before then ur more than welcome :)
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:for those who havent got specific maps all the stations in zone 1.Please note that Blackfriars will be closed on May 29th so u will not be able to change there and must pass through.

Ps Lancaster Gate and Regents Park are open its an old map.
May I present to you the official unofficial Z1 2009 Map?(was bored yesterday afternoon at work while recording a TV programme onto DVD...)

(Edit 1: there is a problem with the file somwehere so I shall attempt it again!)

(Edit 2: There is a problem with the file, so I shall repair it later on but here's the errored version :))

(Edit 3: Map removed by request of Tubeguru)

(Edit 4: Thanks, from Tubeguru)
Last edited by RichieG on 28 Jan 2009, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

*cough* copyright *uncough*

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Or u can buy them from a certain some1 :)
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

scrxisi wrote:Woah, you've submerged Blackfriars beneath the Circle line. What you need is a red cross through the name :P
I'll leave the lines as they are... but I'll probably put the name back. After all, it's closed but we'll still have to pass through it.

People may be interested to note that Zone 1 comes free on all standard "all zones" tube maps. Normally right in the centre :)[/quote]Yeah, but it's more fun and a good spend of the afternoon to do it :) (persuaded them to put Photoshop on that computer so I might as well use it!)
tubeguru wrote:*cough* copyright *uncough*
Bah - copyright schmopyright :D
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

If you're going to bastardise images of the tube map could you please not post them on the forum, as I know that LU staff drop in from time to time and I don't want to receive an email asking me to remove it.

By all means feel free to link to it elsewhere.

Member of sweet FA
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

tubeguru wrote:If you're going to bastardise images of the tube map could you please not post them on the forum, as I know that LU staff drop in from time to time and I don't want to receive an email asking me to remove it.

By all means feel free to link to it elsewhere.
Surely this is a non-issue, websites like wikipedia host the tube map with no problem and they state " You are being granted a limited license to copy anything from this site", usually if an image is copyrighted it is taken down until permission is sought and you often see "image not available" on many pages. So if anyone asks just state you downloaded the image from wikipedia and that is the one you are hosting.