Weekday attempt with a weekend service?

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Perry Vale
Zone 1

Weekday attempt with a weekend service?

Post by Perry Vale »

Ric Mansworth and I were considering a GWR attempt over the festive season, and were wondering if anyone knew whether a weekday attempt with a weekend service (eg Monday 29th December) was:

1. Acceptable to Guinness
2. Pointless - ie frequency of service, buses, trains, was not good enough to bother.

As ever, any advice, good bad or indifferent will be greatly received!!

Thanks
palkanetoijala31

Re: Weekday attempt with a weekend service?

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Perry Vale wrote:Ric Mansworth and I were considering a GWR attempt over the festive season, and were wondering if anyone knew whether a weekday attempt with a weekend service (eg Monday 29th December) was:

1. Acceptable to GuinnessShould be acceptable as it is not a Saturday which scuppered Soup Dragon attempt same time last year

2. Pointless - ie frequency of service, buses, trains, was not good enough to bother. Well despite it not being confirmed last year they certainly did very well 17h 30m i think they prefered it being a bit quieter less people etc.

As ever, any advice, good bad or indifferent will be greatly received!!

Thanks
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

IMy interpretation over Guinness' refusal to confirm Soup Dragon's record, was that it was not done under normal service, rather than the fact it was on a Saturday. The rules, as far as I remember, only mentions that it ca'n be done on weekends since since some stations are closed then. Since that isn't true (or indeed wasn't true) when Soup Dragon made hios attempt, I'd say that Guinness objected to doing it on a holiday.

If I speculate, I think that if it over time turns out that Sundays are the preferred days and all stations are open, then Guinness should approve such records...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

The initial refusual by Guinness was that we couldn't possibly break the record on a Saturday because all stations are not open. I pointed out that to them that all stations had been open on the day we made our attempt (Sat 29th Dec 2007) and guinness told me that they would discuss our application again in their weekly team meeting.

After the team meeting they advised me that they couldn't award us with the record because the trains are less busy on a saturday and that it would be unfair to the current record holders to award us the record (at the time we were the current holders!)

I wrote back to Guinness pointing out several factors.
1. Trains are less frequent on Saturday
2. During the day trains are actually busier (in my opinion) than on a weekday.
3. We had plan a very careful route to avoid three premier league games that day.
4. We had to adjust our route considerably due to earlier closure of Cannons Street.

Guinness reply to these points was.... your case has already been heard and will not be re-opened, which if I had know at the time I would have put all thes facts forward before the first hearing!
One day I shall return!