TUBE 9 THE UNUSUAL ATTEMPT

Write-ups from those with over 21 full network challenge attempts
Starkey7
All Zones

Re: Friday 26th September live updates

Post by Starkey7 »

jbom1 wrote:
Without it Paddington station complex (in total) is connected to an odd number of other nodes: Royal Oak, Edgware Rd (Bak), Edgware Road (Circle), Bayswater & Warwick Ave. So if at least one edge between Paddington and each of these is to be traversed (and we don't start or finish our route at Paddington, obviously), some duplication would be required...
Not quite. One route I came across involved coming up from Earls Court to Edgware Road, and then changing to the Hammersmith and City and going through Paddington to Hammersmith. The route then involved later passing through on the Bakerloo. No duplication...

I understand what you mean about the parity of nodes though. I've used this rule extensively when investigating different options in East London, where there tends to be bigger gaps between nodes.
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

No duplication...
OK, I absolutely take your point. It becomes a matter of semantics. I personally think of it as duplication because I'm treating Paddington as one complex (of two Tube stations and one main line station) for this purpose, hence I counted that route as repeating Paddington - Edgware Rd (sub-surface). If you think of Bishop's Rd and Praed St as separate stations (which they technically are, of course), they both have even connectivity (2 & 4, respectively) to the rest of the Tube (not counting the run between them as an edge and assuming you don't use the main line station), just as you described.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Starkey7 wrote:
jbom1 wrote:
Without it Paddington station complex (in total) is connected to an odd number of other nodes: Royal Oak, Edgware Rd (Bak), Edgware Road (Circle), Bayswater & Warwick Ave. So if at least one edge between Paddington and each of these is to be traversed (and we don't start or finish our route at Paddington, obviously), some duplication would be required...
Not quite. One route I came across involved coming up from Earls Court to Edgware Road, and then changing to the Hammersmith and City and going through Paddington to Hammersmith. The route then involved later passing through on the Bakerloo. No duplication...

I understand what you mean about the parity of nodes though. I've used this rule extensively when investigating different options in East London, where there tends to be bigger gaps between nodes.
I'd also like to put forward that you don't need to traverse all edges, just visit all nodes! In detail this means that you can make Paddington "even" by not traveling to/from Edgware Road (Circle) since that can be covered quite reasonably by running to/from Edgware Road (Bakerloo). BTW this is one of may favourite Z1 moves... In a GWR this would typically mean that you connect between Bayswater and Warrwick avenue by changing at Paddington.

Also, I think Starkey7's idea actually duplicates visiting Paddington (Cir/Dis/Bak)... And duplicating stations can be every bit as bad as duplicating edges. However, avoiding edges is great, but avoiding stations is by definition not possible (for a GWR).
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Please somebody tell me what a node is :?: im :oops: enough to say im thick I think the challenge is now more based towards the runner and small groups of 2 with a minimum of support.In my route planning I rely 1st on my feet running 2nd on luck with buses timings

With Nozza and Tangy recently the basics are whichever one makes the train connection first gets the train number and stays in the doorway of the train waiting for the other to arrive.Large groups like the Browns have the disadvantage and advantages

Disadvantages ie. having to wait for all members of the team different running paces,Different people different ideas on connections time wasted on split decisions.

Advantages ie. A pool of knowledge handy for all options in and out of places,If a train is delayed then can filter that info back through team and save energy.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

A node is basically a junction, and the edges are the lines joining them together.

Another advantage of the Brown-Starkey system is the cameraderie, for example early morning Innuendo Time at Kenton.
Barton Blue
Zone 1

Post by Barton Blue »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Please somebody tell me what a node is :?: im :oops: enough to say im thick I think the challenge is now more based towards the runner and small groups of 2 with a minimum of support.In my route planning I rely 1st on my feet running 2nd on luck with buses timings

With Nozza and Tangy recently the basics are whichever one makes the train connection first gets the train number and stays in the doorway of the train waiting for the other to arrive.Large groups like the Browns have the disadvantage and advantages

Disadvantages ie. having to wait for all members of the team different running paces,Different people different ideas on connections time wasted on split decisions.

Advantages ie. A pool of knowledge handy for all options in and out of places,If a train is delayed then can filter that info back through team and save energy.
I hope that isn't staying in the doorway holding doors!!! Ha Ha!! Be careful what you say, there's a whole can of worms waiting to be let loose!!!!
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

Please somebody tell me what a node is
Andi,

Anyone who can plan a successful GWR route, as you've done, must have an outstanding intuitive understanding of graph theory, whether you know it or not! For our purposes, a node is a station and an edge is a direct connection between two stations.
palkanetoijala31

jbom1 wrote:
Please somebody tell me what a node is
Andi,

Anyone who can plan a successful GWR route, as you've done, must have an outstanding intuitive understanding of graph theory, whether you know it or not! For our purposes, a node is a station and an edge is a direct connection between two stations.
Maybe i can crasp the basics of it go any further and im stuck i can only just about understanding the mighty Hakan anaylsis and route programs.
palkanetoijala31

Barton Blue wrote:I hope that isn't staying in the doorway holding doors!!! Ha Ha!! Be careful what you say, there's a whole can of worms waiting to be let loose!!!!
:lol: when i say that i mean standing in the doorway waiting for the other to arrive if the doors did go beep beep beep and i hadnt seen them down the platform i would get off and wait for the next 1 only fair to other passengers.On nozza route the most we held a door was 5 secs i think and tangy actually forced open a door with fingers and that was 2 secs otherwise we never held a door at all.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

The large Brown/Starkey team works well and its great fun having such a large number. The only factor we have been lacking in recent challenges is luck. We lost 40 minutes at Fenchurch street when we broke the record with Rachel Brabbins in April and on the Tube Olympics challenge we had several bits of bad luck, in fact the only time we had any good luck was when Andi, Steven & Matt were with us. We never had such a good run around at Uxbridge or at H&W, so I guess one of these three is a lucky mascot....? Which one though?
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

scrxisi wrote:It's not luck, it's SK's (I quote) "obsession with tube drivers" :P
Rachel Brabbins has the same effect on tube drivers, well at least the ones who are straight anyway... :D
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Could be me i have had 4 very successful times :D maybe u like me as support for u all next time that way i can repay all the times u have done for me.