ZONE 1 CHALLENGE CUP 2008 - WARM UP R15

All you need to know and discuss about the 2008 Zone 1 Challenge.
A2
Zone 4

Re: ZONE 1 CHALLENGE CUP 2008 - WARM UP R15

Post by A2 »

1) Kevin - Going Underground
2) Ryan - Beer Baron
3) James - Jamesthegill
4) Jack - sven945
5) Olli - notonthisboardyet
6) Matt - dudey
7) Phil - Ping Pon
8.) Antony - Soup Dragon
9) Matt - scrxisi
10) James - uefacup81
11) Peter - greatkingrat
12) Alistair - al
13) Andrew - A2
- Andrew
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

1) Kevin - Going Underground
2) Ryan - Beer Baron
3) James - Jamesthegill
4) Jack - sven945
5) Olli - notonthisboardyet
6) Matt - dudey
7) Phil - Ping Pon
8.) Antony - Soup Dragon
9) Matt - scrxisi
10) James - uefacup81
11) Peter - greatkingrat
12) Alistair - al
13) Andrew - A2
14) Ollie with an "e" - Root

I'm still not certain whether or not I'll be there, but I think the chances at the moment are greater than 50%, so I thought I would add myself to the list with that disclaimer.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Wow... this is looking like a very good turnout for tomorrow nights R15, hopefully everyone can make it on the day.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

This is looking like a very decent turnout...... I am waiting to hear from Matt (scrixsi) as he wasn't sure after yesterday's tiring day and the disapointment at the end has a draining effect as well....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I can also tell that Patrick & Maria will, most likely, make it to the start, to see you all off and help Kevin out!

They, as well as I and Lars (if we're not delayed), will also meet up at the King's Head, Earl's Court, afterwards.

See you all tonight!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

For those of you who couldn't make Thursday nights warm up event the stations drawn were:

Embankment (Start)
Warren Street
Mile End
Holland Park
West Hampstead
Kennington
Russell Square
Ravenscourt Park
Chalk Farm
Mansion House
East Putney
Kentish Town
South Kensington
White City
Goodge Street

Unfortunately myself and greatkingrat were stuck on a train outside Waterloo for half an hour so we missed starting with the main group. Ping Pon waited for us as did Patrick & Maria and we set off as a team of three approx 8 minutes after the others.

Our first two changes went exceptionally well including a 41 second double back at Kennington and then a 29 second change at Embankment onto the Circle line eastbound. We then switched to a District line train at Monument and bumped into two teams The Subways (James, Jack & Ollie) and James (uefacup81) who was going solo. So we knew at this stage we had had already caught up at least two teams. We all changed at Mile End to head back into town on the Central Line and stayed together until Holborn. At this point The Subways continued on the Central line to White City whereas ourselves and James went to Russell Square. We decided to take on the Russell Square - Goodge Street run while James opted for the double back to Holborn.

The Russell Square to Goodge Street run isn't as bad as I thought and we only took 10 minutes from arrival Russell Square to departure Goodge Street. From here we took the first Northern line service up to Kentish Town, double back to Camden Town and up to Chalk Farm on the other Edgware branch. It only took us 8 minutes from Kentish Town to Chalk Farm so things still going quite well at this point.

Initially we planned to run Chalk Farm to Kentish Town West but soon we realised we had started running in the wrong direction so instead decided to run/walk to Swiss Cottage. It was a bit of a shame because we just missed a 31 bus so in the end it took 15 minutes from arrival Chalk Farm to departure Swiss Cottage.

We doubled back at West Hampstead and had a six minute wait, which gave us enough time to purchase some supplies, at this point we bumped into The Subways again who were running to West Hampstead Overground, they soon ran back again though as there was a 20 minute wait for the next Overground service. From here we headed down to Bond street and out to White City for another run that I haven't done before to Shepherds Bush (H&C), this took us 10 minutes from arrival to departure including the run.

We arrived at Hammersmith (H&C) and saw James (uefacup81) sitting on a train waiting to depart and we guessed he would do the reverse of the run that we had just done. From here we had great connections 1 minute 23 seconds Hammersmith H&C to District Line west bound. Ravenscourt Park a 2 minute 30 second turnaround. We made a quick switch to the Piccadilly line at Barons Court and the managed a 2 minute trunaround Piccadilly to District at South Kensington. At Earls Court we then had a 4 minute wait for our final train to East Putney.

Our final time was 3:16:07 which to be honest I thought would be good enough to win but in the end was only good enough for second. James managed to make some good connections and somehow pipped us by a couple of minutes.

It would be good to see a list of the final times for everyone if you have them Hakan, and also what did your computer say was the best route? I seem to remember you saying at the pub that we beat the computers predicted time!
One day I shall return!
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

I decided to hook up with Dudey (Matt) and Going Underground (Kevin) and we had an interesting evening to stay the least.

We got our list of stations and were going to head towards Mansion House first but saw a 3 minute wait for a Circle Line train and we wanted a District so we were thinking a 5 minute wait at least so we headed in the opposite direction towards South Kensington and headed to East Putney, bad mistake a Columbia vs Ireland game was happening at Fulham's ground and we bumped right into the crowds and got really delayed at Earls Court, when we got down to East Putney we just missed a train back northbound and had a 6 minute wait for the next train, at Putney Bridge we decided to try and catch time up to get the 220 bus to Hammersmith which didn't pay off due to loads of traffic for the game. At Hammersmith we hopped off the bus early and ran into the station, and we had around a 4 minute wait for a train to Ravenscourt Park, then one stop later we had a really long wait to get back to Hammersmith, at this point we were even considering going up to Ealing Broadway and get the Central line eastbound. In the end we stuck it out and got a District to Hammersmith and another bad mistake is made here. We headed to an exit that was closed and was only allowing passengers into the station, Me and Kevin managed to get out but the SA wouldn't let Matt out so he had to run round costing us a H&C connection as I was holding the doors, saw Kevin coming with no Matt and in the end we had no idea how long he was going to be so had to let the train go, 5 seconds later Matt appears out of breath. A 6 minute wait there and we headed to Shepherds Bush and then the 72 bus to White City. Running into the station some good connections came our way with a 2 minute connection there and a run onto the Jubilee line at Bond Street. We headed up to West Hampstead for the Thameslink connection to Kentish Town but this was delayed so Kevin decided we should get the 328 bus to Golders Green (Zone 3) and down to Camden Town via Chalk Farm that way which didn't really cost us anything. Then at Camden Town it was up to Kentish Town and double back to Goodge Street. Here we ran through to Russell Square (Matt showed me a shortcut) and here the police held the lift for Matt and Kevin as they thought we were on a GWR attempt as I tried to explain what we were doing. We headed south on a Piccadilly then to Holborn and then a sexy Central line connection to Mile End. Here we headed on the Central line again a sexy change to Bank, then ran to Mansion House (via the 23 bus and a run) and the one stop to Blackfriars where we made a train conenction to Elephant and Castle by a minute and took that down there, a quick run through a shopping centre and we were on the home straight to Kennington. A time of 3 hours 54 minutes and 28 seconds

Matt left us at Waterloo as it was too late for him to head to the pub and get home so me and Kev headed to Earl's Court just to make last orders. A lot of people had been lazy and aborted early so we weren't last but were the last to arrive!!!
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Having not really known anyone I decided to chance my hand at a solo attempt at this one...

Having been given the list of stations my immediate instinct was to head east on the district line and so headed to the appropriate platform where I believe there was at least a 5-minute wait for a District train. This give me a little thinking time and the question appeared in my head "if I do this, how the hell do I get Kennington out of the way??" so a quick change of plan later found me pelting down to the Northern platforms and heading off down to Kennington with The Subways for a double-back to Embankment. We stayed together all the way up to Mile End and were joined by Anthony and his team at Mansion House. Knowing that they'd started getting on for ten minutes before us was not a pleasant thought and for the rest of the evening I was expecting them to be well into their drinking trousers by the time I arrived at the pub...

We all made the District/Central change at Mile End - despite some of us taking a wrong turn and ending up back on the same platform as we'd just left... but luckily it didn't cost us anything in terms of missing trains. So we all jumped on the Central line, leaving the Subways at Holborn and eventually four became one as those with the fitness levels decided to attempt the Russell Square - Goodge Street run whilst I doubled back and did Holborn - TCR - Chalk Farm where I had an excellent cross-platform change down to Camden Town and another seamless change up to Kentish Town.

So... Kentish Town... had I not had my wits about me here things could have been so much different. Having managed to get my tiring bulk over to the mainline platforms at a slightly-quicker-than-walking pace I came down off the footbridge to the disheartening sound/sight of a train pulling out of the platform. A quick glance up at the indicator showed me what I thought was the train that had just left and the next one being at least 30 minutes away. Having resigned myself to heading up to West Hampstead via various double-backs I was half-way back up the stairs when something told me to look again. So I did, and it transpired that that train I thought was the one I missed was actually one only a minute out... bonus!!

Over to West Hampstead and a naive belief that the station would be of a similar layout saw me running the entire length of the platform before I even got anywhere near the exit and over to the Jubilee line. A short wait for a Stratford train here found me heading down to Green Park and the Piccadilly line... something I would certainly thing twice before attempting again owing to the stupidly long "run" between the two lines (by this point I'm stretching the word "run" to the very limits of it's meaning!)

Down to Hammersmith and a quick cross-platform to the District line and Ravenscourt Park where I bumped into Ollie (Root) and Alistair (Al) coming off the same train ready to double back to Hammersmith. We discussed our plans on the way over where I announced that I was sure Latimer Road to White City was runnable and at the same time they were sure that Hammersmith (being a largish station) would have a bus somewhere heading in that general direction. A quick check with a member of staff helped me change my plan to a Shepherd's Bush - White City run and I set off to the H&C (not noticing passing Anthony on the way through!!)

Shepherd's bush and another quick question to a member of staff yielded directions to White City which I would have missed had it not been for the Rail Replacement Bus sitting right outside (note to LU... if you're refurbishing the outside of a station, please make it so that it still resembles one!!) A quick jog down to the platforms and about a minute's wait for a Central line train over to Notting Hill Gate and the last train of the run all the way down to East Putney, finishing in a time of approximately 3h 12m 50s.

So back up to Earl's Court for the obligatory McDonalds where I bumped into The Subways and about 15-20 minutes later, Anthony and his team. All in all, a cracking evening!
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Soup Dragon wrote:The Subways (James, Jack & Ollie)
We're never going to drop that damn name, despite falling out with the band's lead singer :lol: :lol:
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I wonder who will stay together longer - the Tube Challenge team or the band? :)
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

jamesthegill wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:The Subways (James, Jack & Ollie)
We're never going to drop that damn name, despite falling out with the band's lead singer :lol: :lol:
You (or your team) were still wearing their t-shirt though.
- Andrew
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Could any teams that completed this challenge please post their times?
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Soup Dragon wrote:Could any teams that completed this challenge please post their times?

Blimey I hope Steven or Matt can remember..... :?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Kevin, your time with Steven & Matt was 3:54:28.
I think Andrew & Alistair both completed, I seem to recall 3:17 and 3:22?
And a couple of teams aborted.
One day I shall return!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Soup Dragon wrote:Kevin, your time with Steven & Matt was 3:54:28.
I think Andrew & Alistair both completed, I seem to recall 3:17 and 3:22?
And a couple of teams aborted.

I believe 3:22 was correct for myself and Ollie/Root with a West Hampstead finish, but my memory has become slightly hazy...
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.