Route planning...

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
Senji
Zone 3

Route planning...

Post by Senji »

'cor, does it really take 71 minutes to do Amersham, Chesham and Watford...
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I tried a full challenge once and didn't get round to doing Amersham, Chesham and Watford. Thankfully.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

On both my 1st and 2nd attempt I started at Amersham at 0528 and arrived at Watford at 0629, 3 minutes ahead of schedule. On the first attempt I made up time following a lucky change at Moor Park.
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

CrunchySaviour wrote:I tried a full challenge once and didn't get round to doing Amersham, Chesham and Watford. Thankfully.
It was a bit of a shame that Amersham was your starting station on that attempt :wink: :D
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Geoff's Tube 3 writeup says to always go to Epping first (rather than round the loop) -- how does this work? (my notes currently say "get first northbound train" at Stratford).
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

well there are more trains to Epping that Woodford via Hainault.

of course, if a woodford via hainault ones comes first, you take it!

i guess what i'm saying is "don't put yourself out trying to do Hainault first", and (also) in my experience, i find it more common that a Woodford -> Hainaault train carries on through rather than terminates, then does a train that says it's terminating at Hainault.

but it also depends on the time of day. there are only about 12 Woodford via Hainaults timetabled all day, about 6 in the morning and 6 in the evening.

When Neil & I got the record time, we were fcuking lucky to get one! that helped, big time ...
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Thinking about through trains to places -- do all the Mill Hill East trains currently come from the Charing X branch, or is it actually worth getting on a High Barnet train at CX and changing at Finchley Central?
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Senji wrote:Thinking about through trains to places -- do all the Mill Hill East trains currently come from the Charing X branch, or is it actually worth getting on a High Barnet train at CX and changing at Finchley Central?
Personally, I would not wait - I would get the first train and change.

According to LU - all Mill Hill East trains, off peak, should originate from the Charing Cross Branch - Kennington starters I believe - however in practice - that does not always work!
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

If I'm at least fairly sure about it then I'll probably plan to get on the first train and drop back at Goodge Street for a photo if it's not a Mill Hill East...
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

We don't double back at Goodge St, but we have a plan for getting that bench photo..

Just you wait and see..
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Glad to see you're all getting in the spirit of the Goodge Street Gallery! I will be making a point on the day that everyone tries to get their photo taken there on that bench.

Anyone like to admin that their route does double back at that point?
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

We will be exiting the system at Goodge Street and doing a surface level change.
juggler
Zone 2

Well

Post by juggler »

I'm just writing up my route so its in a nice booklet format with maps etc - just looking at these different ideas I'm beginning to see how many different routes are actually doable... it's like playing a game of chess on a board with 270+ squares and hundreds of pawns - there must be thousands of permutations :shock:
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997
juggler
Zone 2

Post by juggler »

On the subject of Mill Hill East, can I just comment that you can change at East Finchley or Finchley Central for the Mill Hill East service if you aren't on a through train.

The reason I suggest changing at East Finchley is because it has particularly interesting 1930s architecture (note the rounded skylights, wrap-around glass windows at the ends of the platforms and of course, if you have a little bit of time, a quick exit of the station to take a photo of the archer firing his arrows in the direction of Barnet - not to be missed!). More about him can be found here:

http://www.the-archer.co.uk/history/lonely_archer.htm

Probably my favourite station, closely followed by Oakwood which resembles a 1930s cinema :D and Bounds Green which really wanted to be a UFO :shock: woooh!
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Changing somewhere for architectural reasons has to be one of the more bizarre suggestions we've had so far ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA