OFFICIAL ZONE 1 CHALLENGE CUP 2008 RULES

All you need to know and discuss about the 2008 Zone 1 Challenge.
palkanetoijala31

Re: OFFICIAL ZONE 1 CHALLENGE 2008 RULES

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

i think im going to nominate goodge street just becuase i have a killer route from there as well starkey
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:i think im going to nominate goodge street just becuase i have a killer route from there as well starkey
That's good, that's one less awkward station for my list to cut to the ones I'm nominating. Cheers :D
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Goodge Street is not an awkward starting station! It's an awkward middle station, I reckon, making it quite a good starting station. Maybe.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

Do we HAVE to get a train out of the start station, or can we run to another if we knlow we would pass through the start station later in the challenge.

For example if Paddington (District, Circle, Bakerloo) is chosen, can we run to Paddington (H&C) without boarding a Train on the other lines? If so how would this be timed?
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

mullardo wrote:Do we HAVE to get a train out of the start station, or can we run to another if we knlow we would pass through the start station later in the challenge.

For example if Paddington (District, Circle, Bakerloo) is chosen, can we run to Paddington (H&C) without boarding a Train on the other lines? If so how would this be timed?
You must depart from the drawn station by tube train......
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

A query about rule 5: (tie breaking for podium places will be the split times)

What split times?
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Did you intend to add a rule whereby teams must say how many stations they had visited after an arbitrary time interval, eg. 1 or 2 hours, Hakan?
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

CrunchySaviour wrote:Did you intend to add a rule whereby teams must say how many stations they had visited after an arbitrary time interval, eg. 1 or 2 hours, Hakan?
No, only at the end of the 4 hour time limit (and preferrably then remember the time of the last visited station before that).

Obviously, in case of a major shutdown, the entire competition collapses, but that's life...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

I interpret that as, for example:

Team A visits 61 stations by the 4 hour cut-off, arriving at their 61st station after 3hrs 57mins

Team B visits 61 stations by the 4 hour cut-off, arriving at their 61st station after 3hrs 59mins

=> Team A is placed ahead of Team B on the basis of a better split time for the last station visited.

Is that correct?
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Spot on! We were contemplating (maybe still are) that only use this tie breaker principle for podium places, but that'd be unnecessarily complex... A tie for the win did not seem like a good solution if there was a way to separate them!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Definitely not. If two teams finish joint first, but one team has visited more stations after two hours, it only means that their routes are different and perhaps the other team tackled "harder" stations first.

I don't see any reason to separate tied teams, actually.

(edited by Starkey7 for spelling)
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I guess we, the organisers, again have to use our prerogative to dictate the rules!

However, I can see your point, but bringing that thought further, we simply can't appoint a winner at all if part of the system shuts down. It's all down to the detailed order of visiting stations or, frankly speaking, luck! A good route may turn terrible and vice versa, because of a shut down.

Without depriving the winners of Z1C 2006 any of their honour, I think it's fair to say, that the overall placings could have been quite different if Victoria line hadn't closed down that day.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

So you expect every team to keep logs in order to be able to split them in case of a tie?

I wasn't planning to log, personally.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Not really, an estimate would be trusted in this case... Hopefully, we won't have to worry about this at all...
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Surely if the whole system goes down, it's up to each team individually to plough on until 4 hours have passed, doing as best they can. It could be that some teams are able to continue around the problem areas.