Tumbleweed - The Rules and Discussion

The game you either hate or really hate!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Tumbleweed - The Rules and Discussion

Post by tubeguru »

Root wrote:You say that typos will not result in an invalid claim, but what if the typo is a "3" instead of a "2" in the claim "30 weed", as I made this weekend by mistake? Obviously I can't prove it was a typo and not just a mistake, but perhaps it should be clarified that numerical typos can result in invalid claims. Or can they?
I meant typos in the non-numeric part.

So "15 weedhdhgfer" or "2 beldj" are clearly typos, but if one says "30 weed" instead of "20 weed", then it goes down as an invalid claim, as I can't tell what your intention was. I'll just make sure that's clear then.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Yep. I wasn't trying to claim the points, incidentally, I just want to help in making sure there are no loopholes.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

Could we have a clarification regarding weed related posts in signatures
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Cheers for the clarification, Tubeguru. As I said, the original rules seemed to imply that non-multiple-of-five weed scores would be unusual, but certainly there was nothing to say that they were prohibited. (Even though great pains were gone to to preclude non-integer scores (!)) So, seeing that non-multiple-of-five weed scores wouldn't be against the spirit of the game, I just decided to test what would happen. It's a standard thing for any mathematician to want to do.

I'd be interested to hear whether there is actually any purpose in the multiple-of-five rule though... :?

Anyway, I look forward to bringing my score above zero! :roll:
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Right, what happens when Soupie and I claimed 15 weed at the same time? He got there first, so gets the points, but could I have then made another claim (or a spoiler) 10 minutes later? Or do I need to wait for someone else to post first?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

mullardo wrote:Could we have a clarification regarding weed related posts in signatures
Why? You're the one who put "5 weed" in your signature.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Starkey7 wrote:I'd be interested to hear whether there is actually any purpose in the multiple-of-five rule though... :?
The only reason we're going in five is because that's what the rules are for the game in the other place I play it.

I can quite happily change it so we get less spam. :) 20-point weed minimum anybody? :)

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well, as no one has objected vehemently to the re-worded (and slightly altered rules), I'm implementing them as from the start of play at 00.01 on Monday the 27th of June.

The scores since the start of Monday are the same as under the old system anyway.

Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Except that applying the old rules absolutely logically I would now be on four points. :wink:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The new rules came into effect from Monday the 26th. I'm not going back through last week and re-scoring everyone - it'll take all day!

Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I'm glad that you're not - you mustn't take this game too seriously!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Er, no. I mean what if people started going on about eight points they'd lost ... ? :roll:

Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

This is an interesting game. Obviously I couldn't resist thinking what some computer software could do. I think it's reasonably hard to beat humans during "regular play", but software could have a field day during low activity play (e.g. night time). It's also obvious that this game does not have a "winning" strategy per se (I'd be happy to elaborate on that statement, if anyone questions it). However, I think it would be reasonable precaution to ban all kinds of "automated" play, even if the only reason is to stop me from spending time on something utterly pointless (no pun intented)...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

hwolge wrote:This is an interesting game. Obviously I couldn't resist thinking what some computer software could do. I think it's reasonably hard to beat humans during "regular play", but software could have a field day during low activity play (e.g. night time). It's also obvious that this game does not have a "winning" strategy per se (I'd be happy to elaborate on that statement, if anyone questions it). However, I think it would be reasonable precaution to ban all kinds of "automated" play, even if the only reason is to stop me from spending time on something utterly pointless (no pun intented)...
It must be very addictive i got to admit i havent seen anything i probably go giddy when i do spot 1 randomly.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Rule 2 says that claims for bells and weeds together are invalid, but you still get some points for them. This appears to open up a loophole.

1000 - last valid claim posted
1105 - A claims 1 bell and 5 weed (and gets 75-5 = 70pts) but as the claim is invalid the clock is not reset.
1106 - B claims 1 bell and 5 weed and gets 70 pts and the clock is not reset
1107 - A claims 1 bell and 5 weed and gets 70 pts and the clock is not reset
1108 - A claims 1 bell and 5 weed and gets 70 pts and the clock is not reset

and so on.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver