Children in Need 2010 and Full Network Challenge

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
palkanetoijala31

Re: Children in Need 2010 and Full Network Challenge

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

TEAM PUDSEY is as follows me,sara,Richie g and Tangy and of course star of the show Pudsey Bear.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Team Ale & Pasty, Kev and Damo....

See you all at the start off to bed in an hour.... :D
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Looks like we're not the only ones using the hashtag #cintube...
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

What the hell... that account was only created 51 minutes ago, but they're saying "get off my hash-tag RichietheG"! It's obviously someone trying to cause trouble.

Not ********, surely?
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Sounds like it by the repeated references to "poo" :lol:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Root wrote:What the hell... that account was only created 51 minutes ago, but they're saying "get off my hash-tag RichietheG"! It's obviously someone trying to cause trouble.
I wasn't aware that hashtags belonged to anyone.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Thankfully this was a CiN attempt or else I may not have even started, or packed it in far earlier in the day but you have to press on because of the donations.......
I managed to visit 204 stations with my travelling companion, the straw on a day of many bales of hay that eventually broke the camels back was being stuck between Barbican and Liverpool Street behind a defective train for almost 15 mins and it became clear that we had no chance of a 270 completion...

Well lets go back to the start at Chesham, the 0622 was late in and departed at 0631... As we had a decent route on paper and were intending to "push hard" we decided to stay at Chesham in the warm waiting room with several pictures, and certificates it was like a little museum in there, so we could hopefully follow our plans an hour behind at 0722...
We set off at 07 21 26 having calculated that we had enough margin to get to T4 later in the day..............How wrong we were :shock: :cry:

We didn't make Moor Park and the only consolation was travelling up to Watford on the new "S" stock :)

The days "lowlights" included arriving at Uxbridge on a Met line with no other trains in... A 10 minute turn around by which time a Picc and another Met had arrived to complete a full set of platforms and then a 7 minute wait at Rayners Lane for the Picc train that had arrived after us at Uxbridge... :(

Arriving at Edgware during the evening rush hour when you would expect plenty of buses to be about, waiting several minutes for 142 and then arriving at Stamnore to see NO trains in and a 6 minute wait........ :x

Busting a gut running to Gunnersbury to be greeted with a 8 minute wait for a Richmond train, then being held outside Richmond while a district line passed us because we were "waiting for a platform" of course when we got there we found 2 there were 2 platforms available....

A scheduled train at Ken Oly arriving 7 minutes late.......

Arriving at Bond Street to find only one "up" escalator in service which was "rammed" we ran up the middle non-moving escalator and missed our intended tran by a "gnats cock" :(

Not being offered a single penny for CiN on the way round or any interest from the general public at all. In other years we have collected a fair amount and passed out flyers with links to the donation site and many people have spoken to us in almost every train.........

The "highlight" getting a text from Andi and guessing that both teams were about to meet up at Earls Court after being at complete opposite ends of the network at the same times for most of the day....

It was a tough day, we pushed the runs hard and made excellent time over the ground with absolutely no reward except for Kenton which was run in 3 mins and train :arrow: train in under 4 minutes....

So after months of training and running it was quite a miserable attempt, the network was not kind....

Roll on CiN 2011 :lol:
chris1975
Zone 1

Post by chris1975 »

moley wrote:http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/loca ... _1_2769466
http://www.pudseychallenge.co.uk
Apparently tomorrow is Guiness World Record Day!
Sam wrote:
Steeevooo wrote:The way I read that article was that they are out there today doing the challenge, not tomorrow? Which would obviously mean that today is Guinness World Record Day! (Why oh why do we even need a "Guinness World Record Day"?)
They, being the Pudsey Challenge team were indeed out today as I met up with them :P
However, things did not go according to plan but I shall let them explain all so as to not steal their thunder :)

Hi Guys,

Just an update of what actually went on that day and the newspaper article.
When first came up with the idea of doing the tube challenge for CiN, I joined this forum. I also contact GWR for rules (which in the mean time I got from Sam) GWR also gave me a reference to challenge for the record. Which we had no chance of ever getting or any interest in getting. However they kept contacting me without even asking any information but kept asking if we where still doing the challenge as November 18th is Guinness World Records Day. We told them we had a no chance of beating the record but they told us it was good publicity for them as it was World Records Day. So they decided to help us out so that they could get the publicity.

Our fastest time on paper was 17:27 on the day as Sam said things didn't go according to plan at all. The Chesham train was just over a minute late, I then fell at Chalfont & Latimer bruised all my left side (still in pain now) we had already missed out Amersham connection. But we kept on going plodding on Amersham train arrives now 16 minutes down. We get to North Harrow and head to Rayners Lane only to find that the direction we had sent us the wrong way. We still managed to get there in 11 minutes but had now missed 2 connection so early on. But we still kept going. Around 12.00pm due to line delays and our problems we notice we where now over an hour behind schedule and decided that was it no more logging, but we did continue to do some of the station to see if we could obtain any helpful information should we ever do it again.

As Sam said we did meat up with her at Willesden Junction for a quick chat and to thank her for her support.

So as you can see we had a problems right from the start. We believe we still managed around 220 stations in the 17 hours we where out there.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Well here is the write up for team Pudsey

starting the day off at Harrow on hill Me,Tangy,Sara and Richie G all got on up to Chesham knew we were going to be late so told the other team we set off at 06.32am
and eventually got round to North Harrow taking out all the stations inbetween.

Tangy sprinted off into the distance and me Sara and Richie G stuck together with me filming all the runs and generally encouraging Richie to run faster he made in 12m just before a pic came in at rayners lane.

another run and a bit of luck with a bus caught for about half a mile we even caught up with tangy whom decided to run all the way and on to the famous W Ruislip- Ickenham run no luck with Buses this time and Sara was with us :shock: and me needing a piss left the team went to alley way came back for richie and led him to a 11m between the 2 slower than his feb attempt though :( .

With 3 runs done we relaxed for a couple of hours on arriving at North Greenwich we were told that the train would wait for 10m actually 14m at that station why whom knows so i went out and got food what the driver didnt tell us if we had moved to the terminator platforms we could have got 2 trains behind us that went ahead of us typical.

so 50 mins down and we stayed that way for the next 4 hours and arriving at West Brompton we saw a familar face going to support the others we met up at Earls Court 2 teams totally different routes and meet up at same place amazing.!On going to Ken O we got more lucky than they did and our train turned up on time theirs didnt.so we continued on and made a good Hainault loop train and on to our next big run/walk knowing the timings and the fact that we were all tired we walked all the way and just made it losing some time in the process we knew the last t4 train so could only give 80m leeway. losing 20m we continued on and got lucky with a bus at Edgware 1st time i have ever got from station itself why do i run to the next bus stop with luck like this lol.

on arriving at Canons Park we saw a train flash past us despite me and steeevooo pegging at fast speed we couldnt quite get it never mind we arrived at Stanmore 117m down knowing this we decided to abort at Baker Street with exactly 200 stations done.

And played some darts at the Angel in the fields and a possible 180 was on the cards but not to be this time 6 of us had a enjoyable end to the day.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Tangy sprinted off into the distance and me Sara and Richie G stuck together with me filming all the runs and generally encouraging Richie to run faster he made in 12m just before a pic came in at rayners lane.

another run and a bit of luck with a bus caught for about half a mile we even caught up with tangy whom decided to run all the way and on to the famous W Ruislip- Ickenham run no luck with Buses this time and Sara was with us :shock: and me needing a piss left the team went to alley way came back for richie and led him to a 11m between the 2 slower than his feb attempt though :(
Yeah, somehow I'm slightly less fit than I was back in February, and therefore I apologise for my slowness :)

However, my participation in the darts afterwards did mean that I was slightly irritated that this wasn't an officially recognised PDC event! a 140 score and several one-dart checkouts (but as soon as they started calling me 'one-dart Richie' my skill dropped somewhat...) was probably my best darts ever!