Zone 1 Challenge - FRIDAY 29th MAY 2009

All you need to know and discuss about the 2009 Zone 1 Challenge.
palkanetoijala31

Re: Zone 1 Challenge 2009 - ALL DISCUSSION

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

okey dokey date has been decided Friday May 29th stay tuned for more updates.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Re: zone 1 day friday may 29th.?

Post by RichieG »

Zoe wrote:What time are the results announced after the challenge? If I do go to this event I won't be able to hang around that long after due to having to get back to Devon.
Last time I left the H&G around half eight I think it was, but then again I was driving back and I'm across the other side of the county to you (I got back around half midnight if I recall correctly). Not sure about the trains as I've never travelled that late. However, personally I might be able to stay with my friend (if she's not irritated by my constant using of her flat as a hotel!!!) and therefore not worry about getting back on the Friday evening. Actually, I recall looking B&Bs up a while ago, and there are some fairly cheap ones available which might work better than a late night train.

Anyways...

I have checked the date, and this is also in my half term so I should be able to attend :) I've added it to my diary... but will have to confirm later to the day. I don't usually plan things more than a fortnight in advance...
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
palkanetoijala31

Zoe wrote:What time are the results announced after the challenge? If I do go to this event I won't be able to hang around that long after due to having to get back to Devon.
I would hope to have the results broadcast to everyone around 6pm roughly 5pm last finish of anyone and say 30 mins roughly to get back to horse and groom and 30 mins to gather results and organise hopefully.Then those whom wish to leave quickly can and the quiz would take an hour and a bit roughly to do all 30 questions and the answers.
palkanetoijala31

RichieG wrote:
Last time I left the H&G around half eight I think it was, but then again I was driving back and I'm across the other side of the county to you (I got back around half midnight if I recall correctly). Not sure about the trains as I've never travelled that late. However, personally I might be able to stay with my friend (if she's not irritated by my constant using of her flat as a hotel!!!) and therefore not worry about getting back on the Friday evening. Actually, I recall looking B&Bs up a while ago, and there are some fairly cheap ones available which might work better than a late night train.

Anyways...

I have checked the date, and this is also in my half term so I should be able to attend :) I've added it to my diary... but will have to confirm later to the day. I don't usually plan things more than a fortnight in advance...
Well u will have until May 25th to register the Monday after that through members on forum or turn up on day but the date is confirmed for now thats the main thing.
palkanetoijala31

Re: Zone 1 Challenge - FRIDAY 29th MAY 2009 - ALL DISCUSSION

Also do people want to do a warm up event on the Thursday again May 28th options are

R15
South Thames
DLR
Root
All Zones

Re: Zone 1 day Friday May 29th 2009

Post by Root »

Root wrote:There is only a very slim chance that I will be able to make the event this year, due to being in the army. I do not yet know my exact timetable, but I probably will by this time next week. There's a possibility I'll have a week's holiday in May, and a possibility I could fly to London during that week. If you had waited a while, I could have let you know which dates would be good for me, whereas presently I cannot indicate a preference.
Oh well...
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
palkanetoijala31

scrxisi wrote:It's going to be the double points scoring round of the R15 championship isn't it?
U would prefer a r15 well i come up for this if enough people willing to do otherwise i supply an envelope with the stations.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I thought that we had already discussed and agreed in principal to the R15 being the Saturday after the Z1 . Last year was a bit of a farce trying to do an R15 the night before, with a lot of people not making it back to the pub after or just getting there at closing time. Personally this year I won't be coming to any event on the eve of Z1.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Soup Dragon wrote:I thought that we had already discussed and agreed in principal to the R15 being the Saturday after the Z1 . Last year was a bit of a farce trying to do an R15 the night before, with a lot of people not making it back to the pub after or just getting there at closing time. Personally this year I won't be coming to any event on the eve of Z1.
I couldnt remember too much too drink :? if Satruday is the way to go at least it counts for ur championship.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:I thought that we had already discussed and agreed in principal to the R15 being the Saturday after the Z1 . Last year was a bit of a farce trying to do an R15 the night before, with a lot of people not making it back to the pub after or just getting there at closing time. Personally this year I won't be coming to any event on the eve of Z1.
I couldnt remember too much too drink :? if Satruday is the way to go at least it counts for ur championship.
I think we discussed it at the Horse & Groom and most agreed that the final R15 of the season should be the Saturday after Z1 and count double points to make it more interesting.The last time I was at the H&G I got so drunk that I ended up racing a rickshaw down the road.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

scrxisi wrote:I disagree with the Saturday after in principle, but if that's what the masses want...
Nearer the time i will put it to the people Saturdays is obviously a lot easier for people as they dont have to work.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Soup Dragon wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:
Soup Dragon wrote:The last time I was at the H&G I got so drunk that I ended up racing a rickshaw down the road.
Were you trying to catch a ride?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

scrxisi wrote:It makes Z1 a warm-up for an R15, which is wrong and weird and stuff, but it doesn't really make any odds I guess.
It doesn't really have to be called a "warm up". Let's just call it "Tubefest 09" I agree with Soup Dragon the evening R15 is way too much of a rush; A) To get to the start and B) To have anytime to meet up afterwards...

I would rather say that the Z1 on Friday is the main course and the R15 on Saturday is the dessert...

If you fancy a pudding as well them come along.... 8)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I do fancy a pudding, but I've decided that you're just a bit too old for me, Kevin. :wink:

Why not have the R15 the weekend before the Z1CC? Then it will have the advantages of being on a weekend while still feel like a warm-up event. It'll also allow the winners to be honoured at the Z1CC's results ceremony.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Root wrote:I do fancy a pudding, but I've decided that you're just a bit too old for me, Kevin. :wink:

Why not have the R15 the weekend before the Z1CC? Then it will have the advantages of being on a weekend while still feel like a warm-up event. It'll also allow the winners to be honoured at the Z1CC's results ceremony.
I think the point of the R15 being a day before the Z1CC is that some people come travel to London especially for the event, if you have it the weekend before it could only really be an event for the regulars who live or can easily get to London. But I do agree with you that it should be before the Z1CC, obv. a vote will be needed!