Timesnap

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Timesnap

Post by GuyBarry »

As promised, the potential replacement for Nimbleweed. These rules are intended as a first draft. Please examine them for any potential loopholes before starting to play.

DRAFT RULES FOR TIMESNAP

Timesnap is a new game involving forum timestamps, loosely based on the card game "Snap". You will need your forum clock to display seconds. If it doesn't already do so, go to User Control Panel < Board Preferences < Edit global settings < My date format < Custom and edit the time field to "H:i:s". The object of the game is to match one or more of the time fields in the previous player's post.

Any player can start the game by making a post containing the single word "play". To win points, another player must make a post containing the single word "snap". (Case is irrelevant and all punctuation is ignored.) Points are awarded as follows:
  • If the seconds field matches that of the "play" post (e.g. 09:34:16, 09:37:16), the player gains 1 point unless a higher score is possible.
  • If the seconds field and the last digit of the minutes field both match (e.g. 09:34:16, 09:54:16), the player gains 10 points unless a higher score is possible.
  • If the seconds field and the whole minutes field both match (e.g. 09:34:16, 10:34:16), the player gains 60 points.
The player making a successful "snap" should then make another "play" post at a time of his or her own choosing within 1 hour of the "snap" post, and the process is repeated.
After an unsuccessful "snap", the player concerned can delete the post and try again if they wish. However, if another player makes a post after an unsuccessful "snap", then the unsuccessful "snapper" loses 10 points. This also applies if the unsuccesful "snapper" forgets to delete the post before trying again. Editing the post to remove the word "snap" will make no difference!
If a successful "snapper" does not make a "play" post within 1 hour, they lose 10 points and any other player can make a "play" post.

Other points to note:
  • You cannot "snap" your own post.
  • You cannot win points if your post contains anything other than the single word "snap" (other than punctuation marks; case is irrelevant).
  • Only a "play" post can be "snapped". Any intervening non-"snap" posts will be disregarded for game purposes.
  • Only the player making the last successful "snap" post can make a "play" post before 1 hour has elapsed.
  • You cannot make a "play" post until there has been a successful "snap" post. Any additional "play" posts will be disregarded.
  • Scores, comments, queries etc. can be posted in the thread as long as they are not combined with "play" or "snap" posts.
For trial purposes, the winner is the player with the most points when 24 hours have passed after the first "play" post.

----------------------------------------
Edited at 08:40 17/9/16 to add 1-hour restriction.
Edited at 10:10 18/9/16 to make changes shown in bold.
What do you think, folks? Can it work?
Last edited by GuyBarry on 18 Sep 2016, 10:10, edited 3 times in total.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: Timesnap

Post by Tube Geek »

Snap!

It's a good idea, will ne very hard though
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tube Geek wrote: It's a good idea, will ne very hard though
Thanks - it wasn't meant to be easy! You'll need a good clock for this one.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

GuyBarry wrote:
Tube Geek wrote: It's a good idea, will ne very hard though
Thanks - it wasn't meant to be easy! You'll need a good clock for this one.
Last I knew, it was 0.143 or sommat away from time.is, so should be om

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

OK, let's have a go then!

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Play

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Snap?

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well it had a question mark next to it, but I'll let you have it. (I think we can safely ignore punctuation marks.)

1 point to you and your turn to play...

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I suppose I should really add a rule requiring players to make a "play" post within 1 hour of their "snap" post. Otherwise the player making the first "snap" could simply do nothing else and win the game!

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Rules edited now. Since I've only just made the change, I'll give Tube Geek an hour from this post to make a "play" post (until 09:41:50).

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Game abandoned - there's obviously going to be no game if TG doesn't make a "play" post. I'll assume he misunderstood the rules and isn't deliberately timewasting!

I'll rework the rules to make them clearer and we can have another go tomorrow perhaps.

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

GuyBarry wrote:Game abandoned - there's obviously going to be no game if TG doesn't make a "play" post. I'll assume he misunderstood the rules and isn't deliberately timewasting!

I'll rework the rules to make them clearer and we can have another go tomorrow perhaps.
Sorry, i was out today! And misunderstood the rules a bit.

PLAY

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Not playing, sorry. It won't work unless we have at least three players - there's got to be competition for who gets the "snap" post. Otherwise we'll just alternate and there'll be no possibility of going ahead unless someone gets a 10-pointer or 60-pointer.

I'd hoped that AC would want to take part, but I've heard nothing. Should I send him a PM?

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

GuyBarry wrote:Not playing, sorry. It won't work unless we have at least three players - there's got to be competition for who gets the "snap" post. Otherwise we'll just alternate and there'll be no possibility of going ahead unless someone gets a 10-pointer or 60-pointer.

I'd hoped that AC would want to take part, but I've heard nothing. Should I send him a PM?
If you want to. I've had an idea for a time-based game, not sure if it would though. I'll give details if you like, but not in a new thread yet

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Tube Geek wrote:
GuyBarry wrote: I'd hoped that AC would want to take part, but I've heard nothing. Should I send him a PM?
If you want to. I've had an idea for a time-based game, not sure if it would though. I'll give details if you like, but not in a new thread yet
Have done so. Please let me know your idea!