Closed Knight's Tour FNC

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Closed Knight's Tour FNC

Post by quisquidillius »

Hello,

While on holiday, I decided to find some FNC routes, and while in a swimming pool one day, I started thinking about a closed Knight's Tour route (i.e. the start stop is one stop from the end stop). I then came up with an Oakwood --> Oakwood, and I have also found an Oakwood --> Cockfosters. In addition, I found a Totteridge and Whetstone --> High Barnet.

While coming up with these routes is not very difficult (although their nature leaves little room for missing connections), has anybody actually ever tried something like this in practice? And following on from that, has anybody completed in this way? I know of High Barnet --> Cockfosters completions and Epping --> Roding Valley, but I've never heard of (in my searching) a closed Knight's Tour FNC. Maybe I might refine my route a bit and make it a bit better, and then do it!
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Closed Knight's Tour FNC

Post by RJSRdg »

I'm not quite sure I understand the concept - I think referring to it as a "closed Knights tour" confused the issue as clearly you don't move two stations along and one to the side!

But even so I'm confused as a Cockfosters - Oakwood route would either involve leaving Cockfosters by some method other than Tube, or passing through Oakwood twice.

One thought I had the other day though is that the number of squares on a chessboard is the same as the number of Zone 1 stations (64), so that could be a Knight's Tour (as per the chess puzzle), or has that already been done?
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

RJSRdg wrote:I'm not quite sure I understand the concept - I think referring to it as a "closed Knights tour" confused the issue as clearly you don't move two stations along and one to the side!

But even so I'm confused as a Cockfosters - Oakwood route would either involve leaving Cockfosters by some method other than Tube, or passing through Oakwood twice.

One thought I had the other day though is that the number of squares on a chessboard is the same as the number of Zone 1 stations (64), so that could be a Knight's Tour (as per the chess puzzle), or has that already been done?
The route does pass through Oakwood twice. It starts by heading down the Piccadilly and finishes with the bus from High Barnet and then the final train to Cockfosters. The Oakwood to Oakwood one takes the bus from High Barnet to Cockfosters, and then takes a train to Oakwood. However, as the last train from Cockfosters is much earlier than the last the other way, the route has much less slack.

Regarding the Z1 idea, I'm not quite sure what you mean...
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Only that the Knight's Tour chess puzzle involves visiting each square once and once only, so in a similar way a Knight's Tour Zone 1 would visit all 64 stations once and once only. (Hence being confused by your Oakwood-Cockfosters KT visiting Oakwood twice!).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Knights Touring the Zone 1 is something I've wondered about for a while!!

I have the following route for that:

Vauxhall :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Westminster :arrow: Lambeth North (run) :arrow: Elephant and Castle :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Embankment :arrow: Aldgate East :arrow: Aldgate (run) :arrow: Liverpool Street :arrow: Chancery Lane :arrow: Farringdon (run) :arrow: Moorgate :arrow: King's Cross St. Pancras (Northern) :arrow: Leicester Square :arrow: Charing Cross :arrow: Oxford Circus :arrow: Tottenham Court Road :arrow: Euston :arrow: Euston Square (run) :arrow: Great Portland Street :arrow: Regent's Park :arrow: Edgware Road Bakerloo :arrow: Edgware Road Circle (run) :arrow: Paddington H&C :arrow: Paddington District (run) :arrow: Notting Hill Gate :arrow: Bond Street :arrow: Green Park :arrow: Knightsbridge :arrow: Sloane Square :arrow: High Street Kensington :arrow: Earl's Court
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

RJSRdg wrote:Only that the Knight's Tour chess puzzle involves visiting each square once and once only, so in a similar way a Knight's Tour Zone 1 would visit all 64 stations once and once only. (Hence being confused by your Oakwood-Cockfosters KT visiting Oakwood twice!).
Make Oakwood Southgate
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

You lot have far too much times on hands
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Not sure exactly what rules you are using, but could you start Southwark :arrow: London Bridge :arrow: Elephant :arrow: Waterloo :arrow: Vauxhall :arrow: Victoria :arrow: Aldgate East to avoid the Westminster - Lambeth North run?
Soon to be yet another forum train driver