Rare Entries #Something - London Underground stations

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
Steeevooo
All Zones

Rare Entries #Something - London Underground stations

Post by Steeevooo »

All,

Thought we could have another round of the Rare Entries game, based on something that doesn't require exacting knowledge of an unfamiliar subject. Note that the only accepted answers to these questions are the 270 London Underground stations which currently make up the Tube Challenge, and if stating a station which has another station of the same name on the network, please indicate which one you mean (e.g. Edgware Road (Bakerloo)). The June 2016 Tube Map can be found here: http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf Please PM your answers, and the deadline is Friday 5th August at 12:00 (noon). Also note that I won't be getting stroppy and chasing entries should nobody choose to enter.

As I can't remember the exact previous methodology for scoring (and can't be bothered to look it up), each correct answer to a question gets a score equal to the total number of people that provide the same answer. An incorrect answer gains a score equal to the number of players + 1. The final score is the product of your question scores. Any further questions or clarifications shall be dealt with accordingly.

1.) (A nice easy one with many answers to get you started....) Name a station which contains the three letter chain "ham".

2.) Name a station on the Circle line which is comprised of three separate words

3.) Name a station which begins with either of the letters "I" or "U"

4.) Name a station which appears at the end of the line on the District line diagram (i.e. it only has one adjacent station as depicted on the District Line route diagram).

5.) Name a station whose name is of six characters or less.

6.) Name a station which begins with the letters "south"

7.) Name a station on the Sub-Surface Railways (i.e. the Circle, District, H&C or Met lines) which has a direct interchange (i.e. OSI's are not valid answers) with the London Overground on the June 2016 Tube Map.

8.) Name a station on the Victoria line which does not have a "National Rail" symbol next to it on the June 2016 Tube Map.

9.) Name a station that is wholly within (and therefore not situated on) the boundary created by the two central London branches of the Northern Line, as depicted on the June 2016 Tube Map.

10.) Name a station on the Piccadilly Line which is wholly in Zone 5 (i.e. stations which are valid across two different zones are not accepted).

Good luck!
Last edited by Steeevooo on 01 Aug 2016, 09:29, edited 2 times in total.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Rare Entries #Something - London Underground stations

Post by GuyBarry »

Steeevooo wrote: As I can't remember the exact previous methodology for scoring (and can't be bothered to look it up), each correct answer to a question gets a score equal to the number of other people that provide the same answer. An incorrect answer gains a score equal to the number of players + 1. The final score is the product of your question scores. Any further questions or clarifications shall be dealt with accordingly.
Is this right? Under the above rules unique answers would score 0, which means that any player getting at least one unique answer would score 0.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

GuyBarry wrote:
Steeevooo wrote: As I can't remember the exact previous methodology for scoring (and can't be bothered to look it up), each correct answer to a question gets a score equal to the number of other people that provide the same answer. An incorrect answer gains a score equal to the number of players + 1. The final score is the product of your question scores. Any further questions or clarifications shall be dealt with accordingly.
Is this right? Under the above rules unique answers would score 0, which means that any player getting at least one unique answer would score 0.
Agreed - initial post amended. The individual question score is equal to the total number of responses with that given answer.
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

I believe an incorrect answer is the number of people that went for the highest scoring answer doubled.
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

PM sent
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Tube Geek wrote:I believe an incorrect answer is the number of people that went for the highest scoring answer doubled.
Not under my rules it isn't. :P
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Steeevooo wrote: 1.) (A nice easy one with many answers to get you started....) Name a station which contains the three letter chain "ham".
I looked at this question and, feeling really pleased with myself, thought "City Thameslink". Then I remembered that it's not an Underground station!

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Re: Rare Entries XIX - London Underground stations

Post by A Challenge »

As I have changed the subject of me post to be, this is Rare Entries XIX. Could I ask, though, about question 7, is a marked interchange on the tube map, a interchange that is not an OSI, so therefore is an in ticket barriers, or something else?

edit: is Q9 geographic or map?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
Steeevooo
All Zones

Re: Rare Entries XIX - London Underground stations

Post by Steeevooo »

A Challenge wrote:As I have changed the subject of me post to be, this is Rare Entries XIX. Could I ask, though, about question 7, is a marked interchange on the tube map, a interchange that is not an OSI, so therefore is an in ticket barriers, or something else?

edit: is Q9 geographic or map?
Both valid questions -

Q7 - I have considered an OSI to be an interchange between two separate stations, for example, Walthamstow Central to Walthamstow Queens Road is an OSI whereas Blackhorse Road (Vic) to Blackhorse Road (LO) is a direct interchange. Essentially the question is seeking any station where you can make a simple, direct connection between the SSR and LO. I will use my discretion if I need to, whilst being fair to all submitted answers.

Q9 - I've amended the wording now to clarify that it is as per the June 2016 Tube Map, and not geographic.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Plenty of entries to date, but the rankings can very easily change if any more entries are received! To those that haven't entered but are tempted to, you have just over 24 hours to get your entries in to me! :)
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Ladies and gentlemen, the deadline has now passed! A fantastic 11 entries were received, which shows what can be made of a quiz if it isn't too taxing on the participants! The answers given are shown below, and the final points tally at the end. Thanks to all who partook in this quiz.

1.) (A nice easy one with many answers to get you started....) Name a station which contains the three letter chain "ham".

West Ham - Going Underground
West Hampstead - Hopeful Traveller
Balham - Tube Geek
Walthamstow Central - The Orange One, jamesthegill
Ickenham - DavidC
Dagenham East - tractakid, al
Hampstead - A Challenge, greatkingrat
Turnham Green - GuyBarry

Other possible answers: Amersham, Chesham, Clapham Common, Clapham North, Clapham South, Dagenham Heathway, East Ham, Fulham Broadway, Hammersmith (H&C), Hammersmith (Dist/Picc), Tottehnam Court Road, Tottenham Hale

2.) Name a station on the Circle line which is comprised of three separate words

Great Portland Street - Going Underground, DavidC, GuyBarry
Shepherd's Bush Market - Hopeful Traveller, tractakid, al, A Challenge
Notting Hill Gate - Tube Geek, The Orange One
High Street Kensington - jamesthegill, greatkingrat

Other possible answer - St. James's Park

3.) Name a station which begins with either of the letters "I" or "U"

Upminster Bridge - Going Underground, Tube Geek, DavidC, al, A Challenge
Upminster - Hopeful Traveller
Upney - The Orange One, GuyBarry
Ickenham - tractakid
Upton Park - jamesthegill
Uxbridge - greatkingrat

4.) Name a station which appears at the end of the line on the District line diagram (i.e. it only has one adjacent station as depicted on the District Line route diagram).

Upminster - Going Underground
Edgware Road (District) - Hopeful Traveller
Kensington (Olympia) - Tube Geek, The Orange One
Richmond - DavidC, jamesthegill, al, greatkingrat
Wimbledon - tractakid, A Challenge
Ealing Broadway - GuyBarry

5.) Name a station whose name is of six characters or less.

Bank - Going Underground, tractakid, greatkingrat
Temple - Hopeful Traveller, jamesthegill
Balham - Tube Geek
Upney - The Orange One
Debden - DavidC, al, A Challenge
Kenton - GuyBarry

Other possible answers - Angel, Epping, Euston, Leyton, Morden, Oval, Pinner

6.) Name a station which begins with the letters "south"

South Ruislip - Going Underground, al
Southfields - Hopeful Traveller, Tube Geek
South Harrow - The Orange One, A Challenge
Southgate - DavidC, jamesthegill
Southwark - tractakid
South Ealing - greatkingrat
South Woodford - GuyBarry

Other possible answers - South Kensington, South Kenton, South Wimbledon

7.) Name a station on the Sub-Surface Railways (i.e. the Circle, District, H&C or Met lines) which has a direct interchange (i.e. OSI's are not valid answers) with the London Overground on the June 2016 Tube Map.

Whitechapel - Going Underground, GuyBarry
Barking - Hopeful Traveller, Tube Geek, al
Kensington (Olympia) - The Orange One
Kew Gardens - DavidC
Richmond - tractakid, greatkingrat
Gunnersbury - jamesthegill
Liverpool Street - A Challenge

Other possible answers - Upminster, West Brompton

8.) Name a station on the Victoria line which does not have a "National Rail" symbol next to it on the June 2016 Tube Map.

Green Park - Going Underground
Pimlico - Hopeful Traveller, GuyBarry
Stockwell - Tube Geek, jamesthegill, A Challenge
Walthamstow Central - The Orange One, DavidC
Oxford Circus - tractakid, greatkingrat
Warren Street - al

Other possible answer - Blackhorse Road

9.) Name a station that is wholly within (and therefore not situated on) the boundary created by the two central London branches of the Northern Line, as depicted on the June 2016 Tube Map.

Lambeth North - Going Underground, al
Russell Square - Hopeful Traveller, DavidC
Chancery Lane - Tube Geek
Southwark - The Orange One
Mansion House - tractakid, A Challenge
Euston Square - jamesthegill
Holborn - greatkingrat
St. Paul's - GuyBarry

Other possible answers - Barbican, Blackfriars, Cannon Street, Covent Garden, Farringdon, Temple

10.) Name a station on the Piccadilly Line which is wholly in Zone 5 (i.e. stations which are valid across two different zones are not accepted).

Oakwood - Going Underground
Rayners Lane - Hopeful Traveller, greatkingrat
Hounslow West - Tube Geek, GuyBarry
South Harrow - The Orange One
Cockfosters - DavidC, tractakid
Eastcote - jamesthegill, al, A Challenge

THE RESULTS (last to first)

17,280 - al
8,640 - A Challenge
2,880 - DavidC
768 - tractakid
720 - Tube Geek
576 - jamesthegill
384 - Hopeful Traveller
384 - greatkingrat
360 - Going Underground
64 - The Orange One
48 - Guy Barry
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Thanks Steve.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

Thanks! Wd to GuyBarry, can't believe I didn't go Upminster for the Subsurface/LO one!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Thanks Steve! I'm amazed that I won with basically a bunch of random answers. I still wish "City Thameslink" had been correct :wink:

The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Can't believe I made second place!! Fact: I had precisely 6 unique answers, the other 4 were repetitions of myself.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.