Tube Olympics 2016: Event 3- Zone 1 Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
Steeevooo
All Zones

Re: Tube Olympics 2016: Event 3- Zone 1 Challenge

Post by Steeevooo »

RJSRdg wrote:
tangy wrote:
During the ride up to Bayswater, it was agreed to reset my watch to the later start time of Kev and Andrew, which added a couple of minutes onto my time.
Wouldn't that have taken a couple of minutes *off* your time? Considering you won by 2 minutes and 24 seconds, this could be significant...

Quite a clever circular route though, I must remember it...
This was my first thought upon reading the write-ups....also how can you decide mid challenge to reset to a later start time purely based on the fact that some challengers who have done the same stations have caught you up?!
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

Looks like we need a stewards inquiry.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

My tuppence worth....

There was no way that we could have all got on the first Westbound train after 18:30hrs
I went up and down the carriages there was no space....

As I should have been on that train and wasn't it was unfair that tangy and Das should be at a disadvantage at the same first interchange as challengers that caught the second train (which was also almost impossible and I nearly had to let that one go as well :shock: ) so I suggested along with Andrew who was with me that they reset.....

Had they already gone at the first interchange when the later departing challengers arrived then inital starting times would have stood....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Did anyone record the exact time (real time) that the first Uxbridge train and/or the train after that departed on their journey logs?
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Going Underground wrote:My tuppence worth....

There was no way that we could have all got on the first Westbound train after 18:30hrs

As I should have been on that train and wasn't it was unfair that tangy and Das should be at a disadvantage at the same first interchange as challengers that caught the second train (which was also almost impossible and I nearly had to let that one go as well :shock: ) so I suggested along with Andrew who was with me that they reset.....

Had they already gone at the first interchange when the later departing challengers arrived then inital starting times would have stood....
I can understand your argument and POV Kev, but the alternative view is that tangy, by forcing himself onto that first train, was seeking to gain an advantage over the other challengers - an advantage that clearly didn't materialise since you and Andrew immediately caught him up! Therefore IMO as a neutral, I'd say that tangys time should be from when he decided to start the challenge, not when you and Andrew decided to...
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

My thinking was more that if one person gets to restart their watch because they find themselves on the same train as somebody who started later, everyone should be able to.

I'm pretty sure Clive and I started on the same train, but if he had started on the one before me and I'd caught him up at the Knightsbridge doubleback, I wouldn't have thought of suggesting he reset his watch to match mine and we would have had no way of knowing Tangy had. The same rules have to apply to all competitors for the event to be fair.

So I think once the watch starts, it doesn't get reset (except if something odd happens like the watch accidentally gets stopped and its owner does a time check with another competitor).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Steeevooo wrote:
Going Underground wrote:My tuppence worth....

I can understand your argument and POV Kev, but the alternative view is that tangy, by forcing himself onto that first train, was seeking to gain an advantage over the other challengers - an advantage that clearly didn't materialise since you and Andrew immediately caught him up! Therefore IMO as a neutral, I'd say that tangys time should be from when he decided to start the challenge, not when you and Andrew decided to...
Just to stick my oar in as well, I agree with Steeeveooo on this one. Surely getting on the train in the first place is part of the challenge? Maybe sacrificing door position for space, and therefore gaining a tactical advantage?
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I caught the first train out towards Knightsbridge with Andi and in my journey log, the doors closed at 18:33:24

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

xcooler123 wrote:I caught the first train out towards Knightsbridge with Andi and in my journey log, the doors closed at 18:33:24
Thanks David, did anyone who caught the second train have a precise journey log time of when the doors on that train were locked closed?
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tangy wrote:
xcooler123 wrote:I caught the first train out towards Knightsbridge with Andi and in my journey log, the doors closed at 18:33:24
Thanks David, did anyone who caught the second train have a precise journey log time of when the doors on that train were locked closed?
18 36 30

And as already stated it was nothing to do with sacrificing door position, in fact I did that on the second train to depart as Andrew will confirm... I went many carriages down and there was honestly not a single space to squeeze on... and I have nothing to gain from stating the facts as they were at the time....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Thanks Kevin, this makes the difference between the two trains departing 3 minutes and six seconds, which would make my time (before the reset) of 03:04:04. So I now need to know if Clive board the first train at 18:33 or the second one at 18:36?

This is where keeping comprehensive journey logs comes in useful!

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I was on the 18:36 and I'm pretty sure Clive was too.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Confirmed Clive was on the second departure.

It's an unfortunate situation.

Tangy & Das did as the rules said and boarded the first train in the chosen direction

Tangy & Das were disadvantaged by doing this as Kev and I started later, something which shouldn't have happened, yet boarded the same train at the first interchange.

If everyone's time started when the doors closed on the first train- whether they were on it or not, that would disadvantage the folk who physically couldn't get on.

I therefore think that the fairest course of action was taken- Tangy's & Das's times were brought into line to those that started later and made the same train. If the same thing happened to other competitors at a different first interchange then those times should be rectified too.

There's no perfect solution here but I have to say I agreed with Kev's course of action.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

An update to this. At the closing ceremony at the Bricklayer's Arms yesterday. Myself, Kevin, Andrew and Clive all had a private discussion as to what course of action to take to resolve the issue regarding the stopwatch resetting. As it was a unique situation which we haven't had before on challenges, it was agreed to let the other challengers present (from the R15 challenge) democratically decide the best solution.

Kevin and Andrew explained the circumstances to the other challengers whilst myself and Clive stayed in the other room. The decision that was agreed was that ALL the times (for all challengers on the Zone 1 event) should be from the first departure at 18:33:24.

Therefore it means (if I have done this correctly) that Clive, Kevin and Andrew, who all started on the second train at 18:36:30 have their times increased by 3 minutes and six seconds. In addition, myself and Das (who reset our stopwatches) have had our times increased by the same amount also.

The results of the Zone 1 event are now revised as follows:

10th: Quisquidillius (and friend): 03:44:17 at Southwark
9th: Das Stevens: 03:43:36 at Euston ** REVISED**
8th: Richard Standing: 03:35:20 at Euston **REVISED*
=6th: Kevin Brown: 03:21:56 at Vauxhall **REVISED**
=6th: Andrew Chilcraft: 03:21:56 at Vauxhall **REVISED**
5th: Rhys Benjamin: 03:19:33 at Knightsbridge
4th: David Edwards: 03:19:09 at Regent's Park
3rd: Andi James: 03:11:10 at South Kensington BRONZE MEDAL
2nd: Clive Burgess: 03:06:18 at Vauxhall **REVISED** SILVER MEDAL
1st: Tangy: 03:04:04 at Green Park. **REVISED** GOLD MEDAL

Therefore there is no change to the medals initially awarded, with myself retaining gold and Clive retaining silver. I hope I have got the times correct, if someone can check that would be helpful.

Thanks
The TOSA
Last edited by tangy on 28 Jul 2016, 10:03, edited 3 times in total.

Tangy.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

No, you should have added 3 minutes as well as you reset your watch, which I think makes your time 3:04:04, which doesn't actually affect the result though.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver