Tube Olympics 2016: Event 3- Zone 1 Challenge

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: Tube Olympics 2016: Event 3- Zone 1 Challenge

Post by RJSRdg »

Hopeful - what was your time?
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
quisquidillius
Zone 3

Post by quisquidillius »

I am pleased to say that my friend and I have successfully completed (albeit extremely slowly).

My friend and I were delayed, literally from the word go, not being able to get onto our first train from Hyde Park Corner because somebody was stuck in the doors. There was not enough time to get to the other doors. We were still happy enough, and this was not a big issue - it would possibly speed us up if we made up time later. So, we waited for the next train, which came soon enough. We double-backed at Knightsbridge and went up the Piccadilly. Our major problem occurred when we were going back down the Piccadilly. We were pulling into Holborn and the train overshot the station (we were in the front carriage and so it was pretty obvious as we were in a tunnel)! DISASTER. We were in Holborn (well, half in) until about 15 minutes after the incident the driver apologised for the train apparently being faulty. We would wait a little longer, and terminate at Covent Garden. Oh dear. We needed Leicester Square to get to the Northern Line. Because we assumed that the train would block the platform at Covent Garden, we decided to run to Leicester Square instead. It is also the case that Covent Garden is my favourite tube station that I have been to, and that the person I was with yesterday and I had a tradition of going up the stairs there. The lifts were also very full, as the entire train seemed to be leaving the station. We managed to run up the first 150 of 193 stairs, had a break, and walked up the rest. We then walked briskly to Leicester Square, jogging once we had found it. About an hour or so later, we had arrived at Paddington (Praed Street). However, no train was scheduled. We immediately looked up the live arrivals. None of the trains listed came, but about six minutes later, a train came. We hopped on, and got off at Earl's Court. We sprinted up the staircase at Earl's Court, and there was a train waiting as we reached the platform. We were very happy, especially as it was a D-Stock. At Tower Hill, we got off to wait for a Circle Line train to take us to Aldgate. It came very quickly (we'd already checked).We sprinted to Aldgate East, but, alas, our train was just pulling away as we reached the platform. However, another Hammersmith and City Line train came rather quickly, so we were fine. It was held for a little while in the tunnel though, presumably because it was ahead of schedule. The driver was very good on this train, driving quickly and not keeping the doors open for too long. Double-backing at Paddington (Hammersmith and City), we made it to the first Edgware Road. Our final major run to Edgware Road (Bakerloo) went well - we made a train with one minute to spare. We then finished off the final few stations. When we finished (at Southwark), we hopped off the train so we could stop the timer, and got back on, as it would take us home. Then, I mistook Waterloo for Westminster, and we got off again. Luckily, I saw the sign for the Waterloo and City Line, so we ran back onto the train. Thank you to tangy for organising the event.

FINAL TIME: 3:44 (I have forgotten the rest and I have it saved downstairs).
Zone 1 Challenge (Olympics 2016): 3:44:31.67 - we were very unlucky indeed!
South London Challenge (Summer 2016): 1:58:40 - going to try again soon!
All Lines Challenge (August 2016): 44:38 - happy with this ... For now!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

I completed in 03:19:33.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Me and daz will attend this challenge unfortunately I have a medical condition which unless clears up will prevent me from doing anything physical. So I walk every change unless miraculously something changes.
Last time I saw Andi, he was ascending the Moorgate escalator at high speed. He left me in his wake, so his medical condition must have cleared up. Maybe it was dandruff. At Moorgate, he made a westbound train before me but I wanted H&C, so missing the Watford train didn't matter. Thanks for not holding the doors anyway!

After the full Piccadilly trains at the start, my evening was uneventful with only one 5 min delay on the District line. Otherwise it all went smoothly unlike other competitors. My final time was 3:03:12, giving me just enough time to reach the pub, meet Tangy, have a pint and make my train home from Victoria. And another silver medal. Next up the DLR.
Last edited by tufnellpark on 15 Jul 2016, 15:22, edited 2 times in total.
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

A thoroughly depressing run. On seeing the starting station I had planned a route I was very happy with, I was hoping for a quick time.

Except nothing went well, average wait time at each station must have been three minutes plus. Good changes at Earl's Court, Victoria. Bad changes at Leicester Square, Russell Square, Sloane Square, Aldgate East, Queensway, a wait at Baker Street for the signal, and a big mistake at Edgware Road sub-surface, missing the first train out. The rest were mediocre, which all adds up. I then had a 6 minute wait to double back at Vauxhall to get back to central London on a Kings Cross terminator once I had finished.

After the pub I daren't descend to deep level so I ran to Euston for the best change of the day, just making the 23:04. Which is just about the slowest train in the timetable back to MK.

I want to try this route again when LU is actually operating a normal level of service.

#thereisagoodserviceonalllondonundergroundlines
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

My medical condition was gout Clive I could hardly walk Tuesday fortunately it cleared up although four days of heavy drinking and bad fast food meant that I wasn't running at fast speed in fact seven trains departed just as I got to platform. I thought I had horrid day was relieved to see others did too so made me feel better.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

I was with tractakid for almost the whole journey as we had the same route, except Edgware Rd Bakerloo where I "lift" waited while Andrew took the stairs...
Coming out of the station that cost me about 100 yards and I didn't even look at the boards at Edgware Road District/Circle as saw a driver getting into a "wimbleware" cab so assumed this was next train out....

So did Andrew eventually having been on the Circle Line that was indicated as next departure...and so it was..... :roll:

Andrew then took a Hammersmith train while I patiently waited for the District to depart and we passed each other at Paddington between Burger King and the entrance to the sub surface platforms... We then met up again back at Edgware Road :P The time I think from memory 3:18:50 :( Leics Sq we missed a conenction by maybe 10-15 seconds and Russell Sq by a fingernail....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The TOSA here for Event 3:

Now that I have all challengers times and verified their journey logs, I can now reveal the official results for the Tube Olympics 2016 Zone 1 Challenge held on Wednesday 13th July.

There was 11 challengers in 10 teams.

10th: Quisquidillius (and friend): 03:44:17 at Southwark
9th: Das Stevens: 03:40:30 at Euston
8th: Richard Standing: 03:32:14 at Euston
7th: Rhys Benjamin: 03:19:33 at Knightsbridge
6th: David Edwards: 03:19:09 at Regent's Park
=4th: Kevin Brown: 03:18:50 at Vauxhall
=4th: Andrew Chilcraft: 03:18:50 at Vauxhall
3rd: Andi James: 03:11:10 at South Kensington BRONZE MEDAL
2nd: Clive Burgess: 03:03:12 at Vauxhall SILVER MEDAL
1st: Tangy: 03:00:58 at Green Park. GOLD MEDAL

Thanks you all for attending from the debutants to the seasoned challengers. Clive Burgess claims his third silver of this Olympics, is the gold out of his reach? Andi receives bronze on his first event of this Olympics, and I finally get onto the medal table- after three events! You will receive your medals at the next event on Tuesday (the DLR) or on the Random 15 meet on Saturday 23rd.

Due to severe overcrowding at the start on westbound trains, not all challengers could physically get onto the first train after 18:30 so it was agreed to be a staggered start with challengers getting on the first train they could board.

Event 4 will be held on Tuesday 19th July, it will be the DLR challenge. Details in a separate conversation to follow.

Tangy
2016 Tube Olympics Supreme Administrator
Last edited by tangy on 24 Jul 2016, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
palkanetoijala31

tangy wrote:The TOSA here for Event 3:

Now that I have all challengers times and verified their journey logs, I can now reveal the official results for the Tube Olympics 2016 Zone 1 Challenge held on Wednesday 13th July.

There was 11 challengers in 10 teams.

10th: Quisquidillius (and friend): 03:44:17 at Southwark
9th: Das Stevens: 03:40:30 at Euston
8th: Richard Standing: 03:32:14 at Euston
7th: Rhys Benjamin: 03:19:09 at Knightsbridge
6th: David Edwards: 03:19:09 at Regent's Park
=4th: Kevin Brown: 03:18:50 at Vauxhall
=4th: Andrew Chilcraft: 03:18:50 at Vauxhall
3rd: Andi James: 03:11:10 at South Kensington BRONZE MEDAL
2nd: Clive Burgess: 03:03:12 at Vauxhall SILVER MEDAL
1st: Tangy: 03:00:58 at Green Park. GOLD MEDAL

Thanks you all for attending from the debutants to the seasoned challengers. Clive Burgess claims his third silver of this Olympics, is the gold out of his reach? Andi receives bronze on his first event of this Olympics, and I finally get onto the medal table- after three events! You will receive your medals at the next event on Tuesday (the DLR) or on the Random 15 meet on Saturday 23rd.

Due to severe overcrowding at the start on westbound trains, not all challengers could physically get onto the first train after 18:30 so it was agreed to be a staggered start with challengers getting on the first train they could board.

Event 4 will be held on Tuesday 19th July, it will be the DLR challenge. Details in a separate conversation to follow.

Tangy
2016 Tube Olympics Supreme Administrator
Hang on a staggered start was not agreed ur own rules stated that not that if affected any medals. All challengers could get on train u just need to squeeze
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

As I understood it Tangy allowed a dispensation while we were on the platform in case it wasn't possible for everyone to get on the same train (I'm not sure we all did).
palkanetoijala31

RJSRdg wrote:As I understood it Tangy allowed a dispensation while we were on the platform in case it wasn't possible for everyone to get on the same train (I'm not sure we all did).
How on earth can u do that rules were applied before event I lost the camera crew because of first change. Pre planning was not ur forte
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Andi

My recollection was that when the first train arrived, jammed to the gunwales, Tangy said something to the effect of "Don't worry, just catch the first one you're able to get on and start the watch then." (and as he organised the event, I think he's within his rights to adjudicate in such a situation). As it was, I think everyone (including you) had to wait until the third train (18:36) before they were able to board and I'm aware you lost the film crew right away - they tried to get on behind me but there just wasn't enough room.
With hindsight perhaps I should have told them to cross to the Eastbound platform and look out for me on the double back - at least that way they would have had somebody to follow round rather than writing the evening off altogether.

Richard
palkanetoijala31

I don't remember tangy saying that but it was lost anyway as people were trying to get good door positions. I got on that 1st train easily and I'm a big bloke but then years of expierance gets me in tight squeezes. In hindsight perhaps I should have gone east at start and finished at knightsbridge.

If tangy had been a bit more organised no offence to him here we could havevfone some filming at start.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

My Zone 1 report:

I was one of a few challengers that managed to just stuff myself into the first Piccadilly line train that pulled in after 18:30 (an Uxbridge bound train). Changed at Earl's Court and to my delight an Edgware Road bound Wimbleware was sat in the platform, however it sat there for 2-3 minutes, allowing Kevin and Andrew (who could not get on the initial Uxbridge train) to just sneak aboard!

During the ride up to Bayswater, it was agreed to reset my watch to the later start time of Kev and Andrew, which added a couple of minutes onto my time. All three of us did the Bayswater- Queensway run, the next eastbound Central line train was destined for none other than "Woodford via Hainault". Kevin and Andrew went to a different door position to me and was the last I saw of any challengers for the rest of the challenge. I changed at Oxford Circus for the Bakerloo line to Edgware Road (Bakerloo).

Run across to the Circle line station, and just like my Bottle challenge, the first HSK train out was the Circle line on platform 2 (and I saw the reflection of the green signal on the roof of the train) but unlike the Bottle the train departed without me. 4 minutes wait for a H&C to visit that Paddington first, ran through to Praed Street, but needn't have bothered, next train back to Edgware Road was 5 minutes away! When it did arrive, it was Circle line, so would use Edgware Road platform 2 (thus no need to run up and over) and even better just as the Circle pulled into platform 2, an eastbound H&c was waiting in platform 1 (and actually waited for passengers to transfer across before departing). Rare!

Eastbound to Euston Square, run to Warren Street, up to Euston and back down to Waterloo. Round the southern "loop" via Elephant and London Bridge back to Waterloo. Up to Waterloo NR, next local train was in 4 minutes the 2020 to Woking, but did allow me to buy some more drink as my supplies had run really low by that point.

The Woking train took me to Vauxhall where it was the usual up to Victoria then westbound to Sloane Square. Upon walking up and over at Sloane Square noted the first train east was a Circle in 2 minutes with a District 2 minutes behind that, decisions... Do I risk the H&C at Aldgate East or wait for the District behind. I was toying with the options all the way along the bottom of the Circle but eventually decided to stay on the Circle to Aldgate and run to Aldgate East.

Upon arriving at Aldgate East I was pleased to see the first westbound train was displayed as an H&C, my decision to stay on paid off. The H&C promptly arrived, however the District train that was behind the Circle line I took at Sloane Square delayed the H&C departure as it was signalled over the junction first!

Bailed at Farringdon for the run to Chancery Lane (which moron closed off the best entrance, necessitating a run across the road to the other entrance). No time was lost as an eastbound train was just arriving in the platform bound for... yep, Woodford via Hainault. Took this to Bank, Northern line to King's Cross, then finally Piccadilly line down to Green Park to finish.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

tangy wrote:
During the ride up to Bayswater, it was agreed to reset my watch to the later start time of Kev and Andrew, which added a couple of minutes onto my time.
Wouldn't that have taken a couple of minutes *off* your time? Considering you won by 2 minutes and 24 seconds, this could be significant...

Quite a clever circular route though, I must remember it...