Grumbleweed III Scores and Discussion

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Grumbleweed III Scores and Discussion

Post by A Challenge »

Due to the amount of comments in the game thread, I thought this might be a good idea!
Last edited by A Challenge on 02 May 2016, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Grumbleweed III Scores and Disscussion

Post by GuyBarry »

OK, here are the posts so far:

A Challenge 20:08: 3 points
GuyBarry 20:09: Spoiler
Tube Geek 20:09: Yo. Spoiler!
Tube Geek 20:11: 1 point
A Challenge 20:13: Invalid, nobody has posted a valid claim (or even post) since your spoiler. Anyway, if I am proved wrong, 1 Point.
GuyBarry 20:17: Not invalid at all. The last valid claim was yours at 20:08, and therefore Tube Geek's claim at 20:11 was valid. 1 point

A Challenge's claim at 20:08 was valid, but not successful. I think that's what's causing the problem here. The definitions are different from Tumbleweed.

A valid claim is one that complies with rules (1), (3) and (7): it must specify a number of points from 1 to 50, it must not follow another claim from the same player without another valid claim in between, and it must not take place between 00:00 and 05:59.

A successful claim is one that's not interrupted within the specified time.

Valid claims can score either a positive or a negative number of points, depending on whether they succeed or not. Invalid claims don't score at all; they stop the clock like all other posts, but beyond that they have no effect on the game.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Re: Grumbleweed III Scores and Disscussion

Post by Tube Geek »

A scores update please!
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Grumbleweed III Scores and Discussion

Post by GuyBarry »

[Spelling of "discussion" corrected!]

I've suspended the game now, but the final scores were TG 51, GB 2, AC -23. I declare Tube Geek the winner. (Relieved to have ended on a positive score!)

Before we start the next game, let's go through the end of the last one carefully, as I don't think my explanation above was clear enough.

A Challenge posted a valid claim of 3 points at 20:08.
I posted a spoiler at 20:09, causing A Challenge's claim to fail. (AC's claim was still valid though.)
Tube Geek then posted a (totally unnecessary!) spoiler at 20:09.
Tube Geek then posted a claim of 1 point at 20:11. It was valid, because no one had posted a valid claim since A Challenge's claim at 20:08. The two intervening posts were not valid claims.
A Challenge then said "Invalid, nobody has posted a valid claim (or even post) since your spoiler". That's irrelevant. Rule (3) says "No player may make two successive claims for points without another valid claim between them. Consecutive posts by the same player are allowed as long as they are not both claims." Tube Geek hadn't made two successive claims for points: his previous claim was at 20:00, before A Challenge's. He'd made two consecutive posts, but that's allowed.

Clear now? I won't start a new game until I'm satisfied that everyone understands the rules.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Post by A Challenge »

I think so. Perhaps the old thread should be discarded
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

It has! Sort of. There's a new thread called Grumbleweed IV, but the old thread still exists

COYR
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Sorry, jumped the gun a bit - I should really have waited for A Challenge's response. Not too many points scored yet so I don't think he'll be at a disadvantage.

Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

GuyBarry wrote:Sorry, jumped the gun a bit - I should really have waited for A Challenge's response. Not too many points scored yet so I don't think he'll be at a disadvantage.
And anyway, I was about 200 when he joined G/W II

COYR