A Story from DLR/Tramlink - discussion

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: A Story from DLR/Tramlink - discussion

Post by The Orange One »

GuyBarry wrote:I think maybe the best thing to do is leave the Metrolink story for a bit. I'll get the DLR/Tramlink bit into shape (it shouldn't take much editing) and put it up on the wiki. Then perhaps we can have a look at the Metrolink section again and try to reorder the stations so that they fit the plot you suggested.

Once again, we've fallen foul of the problem of leaving the hardest stations till last. I wonder if there's a way round this?
There is a way around it - this is to use first, or earmark the difficult stations for later! This seemed to work in Over the Top. Caledonian Road and Barnsbury was used at the start, and pretty much defined the plotline (music, ale, Don, Ian Road, barns and Bury). Leytonstone High Road, Leyton Midland Road and the Walthamstows were slipped into the Tony/Dudley plot (which seems to be the way to dispose of hard stations) reasonably early. Edmonton Green, St. James's Street and White Hart Lane were earmarked in names before they were used.

Of course, Over the Top was particularly easy due to the overlaps with the Tube, so we can work on Tyne and Wear instead. Looking at the map, West Jesmond looks a bit difficult, so we introduce a character called Jes early on, leaving his surname for later. Callerton Parkway looks hard too, and there are a few more - it's all about the planning!
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

A Challenge wrote:
GuyBarry wrote: Once again, we've fallen foul of the problem of leaving the hardest stations till last. I wonder if there's a way round this?
The answer is to start again, even though this may not be too popular.
Oh we can't do that - we've nearly finished. I know you weren't here at the time, but the original "Story from the Tube" had to be edited three or four times before it all made sense. The subsequent ones have needed fairly light editing - I'm quite practised at it now! This one will probably need a bit more work, but the basic story is there - it's just a matter of working in the stations at the right places. I don't think it'll be too hard.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The Orange One wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:I think maybe the best thing to do is leave the Metrolink story for a bit. I'll get the DLR/Tramlink bit into shape (it shouldn't take much editing) and put it up on the wiki. Then perhaps we can have a look at the Metrolink section again and try to reorder the stations so that they fit the plot you suggested.

Once again, we've fallen foul of the problem of leaving the hardest stations till last. I wonder if there's a way round this?
There is a way around it - this is to use first, or earmark the difficult stations for later!
I agree, although no one did it deliberately. Maybe before each story we should go through and identify the difficult stations first? Mark them all with asterisks on the list. Then, every time someone used an asterisked station, they'd get a point (I know there are no points in this game, it would just be a feeling of inner satisfaction :) ).
This seemed to work in Over the Top. Caledonian Road and Barnsbury was used at the start, and pretty much defined the plotline (music, ale, Don, Ian Road, barns and Bury). Leytonstone High Road, Leyton Midland Road and the Walthamstows were slipped into the Tony/Dudley plot (which seems to be the way to dispose of hard stations) reasonably early. Edmonton Green, St. James's Street and White Hart Lane were earmarked in names before they were used.
Yes, that worked well. At the time I wasn't even thinking of bringing back old characters until you suggested it. Tony and Dudley fitted in so well at the time, and subsequently became major characters in Off the Rails! Strange how these things happen.
Of course, Over the Top was particularly easy due to the overlaps with the Tube, so we can work on Tyne and Wear instead. Looking at the map, West Jesmond looks a bit difficult, so we introduce a character called Jes early on, leaving his surname for later. Callerton Parkway looks hard too, and there are a few more - it's all about the planning!
That's the problem - we don't do any planning! :)

I'm looking forward to it. I think RobbieM wants a rest first though, and I need a bit of time to get Travelling Light into shape. Maybe while we're waiting you could identify the "hard" stations, and maybe sketch out a plot. This is all about teamwork!

EDIT: I've just noticed that the discussion thread is longer than the actual story thread. This does not bode well :?

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Yes, I was surprised when Guy finished it so quickly on Wednesday evening; I wondered if we might have had a day or two to suggest wrap-ups between us, and fit the stations around them. We'd reached a near-conclusion on the story, and it would be good to finish it well, with loose ends tied up. Maybe with the odd cliff-hanger...

But there's certainly some great suggestions about how to use those final stations up in Guy's post!

It's late and I'm about to whisked away for a lift home, but hope to write more in the next day or two.

Sleep well again, all! :)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

RobbieM wrote:Yes, I was surprised when Guy finished it so quickly on Wednesday evening; I wondered if we might have had a day or two to suggest wrap-ups between us, and fit the stations around them. We'd reached a near-conclusion on the story, and it would be good to finish it well, with loose ends tied up.
Oh well, let's have another go then. I've deleted that post.
But there's certainly some great suggestions about how to use those final stations up in Guy's post!
Feel free to re-use them if you like! I've re-done Brooklands and Bowker Vale now, so there are just six to go.

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

GuyBarry wrote:Feel free to re-use them if you like! I've re-done Brooklands and Bowker Vale now, so there are just six to go.
Hmm, can't remember how you did them now... :lol: Never mind, I'm sure it'll come flooding back...

I think it'd be great if we can round this one off well, with a little discussion first. A little conflab between Guy and myself gave us an excellent ending to 'Off the Rails', and this sequel could be just as good if we get it right.

Here's my rough thinking about how it could work (no station names included yet!), not that I want to spoil the story! :

* We've brought almost all of the cast together somewhere near Enfield...
* Seeing the situation between Bess and Beck diffused, Jane is filled with compassion for them, seeks forgiveness for causing the accident, and offers to pay for the damage.
* All charges are dropped, and PC Barlow arranges for the wreckage to be dealt with.
* Bess and PC Barlow decide to form a junction-spotters' club.
* Don turns up (under another false name) and rides the horse off into the sunset.
* Final scene at Jane & Alan's house - where Henry has turned up, is knocking on the door, wondering why no-one's home!

The good thing is, each post only needs one station included, so we can take as long as we need! Any thoughts?
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

I think the whole story is reading rather well so far!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Two left now!

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Exciting! I hope to finish it off later this afternoon. I also need to make an edit to my most recent instalment - which will be the 'icing on the cake' of the story, I hope...
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Looking forward to it! (Sorry about Wednesday - I got a bit frustrated with the whole thing :( )

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

GuyBarry wrote:Looking forward to it! (Sorry about Wednesday - I got a bit frustrated with the whole thing :( )
No worries. I've now made the crucial edits to my previous post, and I trust you enjoy them!
Will hopefully have the ending sorted in a couple of hours' time.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Done!!! I hope you agree it was worth re-writing the end. Who'd've thought that Canon S. Bury would deliver the moral of the story?
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Oh, brilliant! Thanks for sorting that one out. I'd never have managed it :)

I'll do the "tidy-up" thing in the next few days, but it shouldn't take long.

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Thank you! I've just read the whole thing through again, and it's almost brought a tear to my eye!

I look forward to the tidied up version. A few things jump to mind:

* Beck asks if tonight is okay for junction spotting. It turns out that they end up doing it in the morning/early afternoon, not sure if that needs reflecting.
* The 'Kerfuffles' section may need a bit of jigging, as Jane is actually on the back of the horse.
* George Varley doesn't need to hide in a cupboard!
* Henry's already driven down from Huddersfield, so must be in the area already. Maybe Alan's statement needs to reflect that - e.g. "Henry from Yorkshire's coming tonight" or similar.
* We can probably get away with keeping 'Ford High Street', even though it doesn't exist!!

And I'm sure you'll find more. I think this could be our best story yet! :D
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I'll look through it in the morning. I think we've all got slightly different tastes! The Orange One likes "adventure" stories, you seem to like "morality" stories, and I like silly farcical ones with ridiculous characters...

My favourite so far is still Hidden Underground - I don't think anyone has quite matched the inspired lunacy brought about by having so many different authors. I was hoping we could reproduce that, but it needs more of a collective effort.