Tumbleweed Scores

The game you either hate or really hate!
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tumbleweed Scores

Post by GuyBarry »

Oh, not this again please...
moley wrote:For reference, Tube Guru posted an invalid claim, nor a spoiler.
Correct. As you say, a valid claim requires whole integer claim greater than zero.
Therefore I can go again.
Wrong. The rules, as recently amended by Tubeguru, quite explicitly say:
The Rules wrote:IMPORTANT NOTE: If player A makes a valid claim, followed by another player or players making invalid claims, player A may NOT make a second claim for points until another player has made a valid claim or posted a spoiler.
I agreed to this earlier in the thread:
tubeguru wrote:Are your current scores based on being able to post two valid claims in a row (with an invalid one between them) or are they based on you NOT being able to do that?

Whichever it is, that's what we'll stick with. Do I need to change the rules to reflect this?
GuyBarry wrote:They're based on NOT being able to do that.
If tubeguru's post had been a spoiler, you'd have been able to claim again. But, as you say, it wasn't, so your claim is invalid and you lose the points.

I would also like to draw tubeguru's attention to rule 6:
It is accepted that there may be game tactics that involve the use of occasional intentional invalid claims or spoilers, which are allowed. However, where it is felt that such posts are "spam" (such as a number of posts made in quick succession, or a person deliberately trying to ruin the thread by arguing or being generally annoying), such posts may be removed and the user banned from posting in the game thread.
Tubeguru has now posted six spoilers in a row followed by one intentional invalid claim. I think this is excessive. I'm not in a position to remove his posts or ban him, however if his next post is another spoiler or an invalid claim I shall simply ignore it and all his subsequent posts until he makes a valid claim, and score the game as though he were not playing.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

DavidC wrote:9 bells
You missed a trick there, DavidC! The last valid post was moley's at 13/08/2015 at 04:39, so you could have claimed a whacking great 27 bells and been within striking distance of first place. Glad to see you're still keeping me on my toes though.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:Tubeguru has now posted six spoilers in a row followed by one intentional invalid claim. I think this is excessive. I'm not in a position to remove his posts or ban him, however if his next post is another spoiler or an invalid claim I shall simply ignore it and all his subsequent posts until he makes a valid claim, and score the game as though he were not playing.
That rule was put in so that people didn't post lots of successive POSTS containing spoilers, thus making it hard for people to see where the last valid claim was made. Posting six spoilers in a row BETWEEN VALID CLAIMS is hardly "spamming the thread", as playing spoilers in that way is in the rules.

You can't score the game as if I'm not playing, as I'm playing within the rules. The decision to ban people from the thread is MY decision, so you can't start deciding to police the forum yourself. We're hardly overrun with idiots here, to be fair.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote: You can't score the game as if I'm not playing, as I'm playing within the rules.
Well I can do what I like, actually. You didn't have to put me in charge of the scores.
The decision to ban people from the thread is MY decision, so you can't start deciding to police the forum yourself.
Well you're hardly going to decide to ban yourself, are you?

This game is just doing my head in. It just seems to be one squabble after another. I've been trying to play within the rules as far as I possibly can, and everything just gets bogged down in silly arguments.

If there are any more arguments like this I'll just reset all the scores to zero and start again. And I have the most to lose by doing so.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

If I might be so bold, most of the stress is caused by you.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:If I might be so bold, most of the stress is caused by you.
Really? I'm just playing the game straight - or attempting to.

First of all you made a sequence of invalid claims because your forum clock was incorrectly set (had you really not noticed since March?). Then you tried to change the rules retrospectively to invalidate one of my claims, then you apparently forgot about the rule change and tried to make a claim that you yourself had just invalidated. Then you couldn't decide whether the rules had actually changed or not. Then you put me in charge of the scores and asked me to decide. Then you started posting a sequence of spoilers which, although within the letter of the rules, seem to me to be completely outside the spirit of them. No wonder some of the other players are getting confused about what's valid and what isn't.

I really don't understand how you've managed to run this game for such a long time. I can only assume that most of the other players couldn't care less about playing the game properly.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:I really don't understand how you've managed to run this game for such a long time. I can only assume that most of the other players couldn't care less about playing the game properly.
Me too. Introducing it was my biggest troll ever, but people still insist on playing it. :lol:

You certainly take it seriously, so I must be doing something right. As for the other stuff about me forgetting the rules and so on, as I wasn't doing the scoring before we recently had the reset it was easy to forget if a rule had changed as I never needed to apply it, and it didn't come up much before. Also, I've got this thing called "a life", which I am currently attending to. I really don't have time to be thinking about bloody Tumbleweed every five minutes, so it doesn't all stick in my head like an encyclopedia. You'll have to excuse my brain fade every now and then.

This forum runs itself nicely most of the time, which is quite good I think. If our biggest problem is people making posts to tell us how much time has passed since the last post (which is essentially what this game is) then we're probably not prioritising our time effectively.

I'm off to have a cup of tea, and watch a tumbleweed roll past my front window. Is that the church bells I hear?

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:I really don't understand how you've managed to run this game for such a long time. I can only assume that most of the other players couldn't care less about playing the game properly.
Me too. Introducing it was my biggest troll ever, but people still insist on playing it. :lol:
Why do you think I avoided it for ages?
You certainly take it seriously, so I must be doing something right.
I wanted to see what happened if someone did. Probably my biggest troll ever. :P

Come and help us write the next silly story.

DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

GuyBarry wrote:
DavidC wrote:9 bells
You missed a trick there, DavidC! The last valid post was moley's at 13/08/2015 at 04:39, so you could have claimed a whacking great 27 bells and been within striking distance of first place. Glad to see you're still keeping me on my toes though.
As Robert Frost said in "The Road Not Taken" :

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Scores as at 23.59 15.08/2015 - weekly totals in brackets, overall totals in bold:

GuyBarry (3450) 16800
DavidC (2100) 12975
leamfarrar (900) 1725
tubeguru (0) 600
h. traveller (0) 375
tractakid (20) 20
Going Und. (0) 5
moley (225) -2550

Moley might have edged above zero if he hadn't fallen foul of tubeguru's recent rule change. Just to reiterate: a player may not make two claims in succession unless another valid claim or spoiler comes between them. Invalid claims do not count.

As far as tubeguru's tactic of posting repeated spoilers or deliberate invalid claims is concerned, I think I'm justified in interpreting rule 6 in the way I did. The wording is "it is accepted that there may be game tactics that involve the use of occasional intentional invalid claims or spoilers, which are allowed" (my italics). I don't think seven such posts during a single week can be described as "occasional". I'm not going to penalize tubeguru for anything he's done so far, but from the time of this post, players will be limited to TWO spoilers or intentional invalid claims within any 168-hour period (i.e. one week). Anyone breaching this rule will be excluded from the scoring for up to 48 hours, at my discretion.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:As far as tubeguru's tactic of posting repeated spoilers or deliberate invalid claims is concerned, I think I'm justified in interpreting rule 6 in the way I did. The wording is "it is accepted that there may be game tactics that involve the use of occasional intentional invalid claims or spoilers, which are allowed" (my italics). I don't think seven such posts during a single week can be described as "occasional". I'm not going to penalize tubeguru for anything he's done so far, but from the time of this post, players will be limited to TWO spoilers or intentional invalid claims within any 168-hour period (i.e. one week). Anyone breaching this rule will be excluded from the scoring for up to 48 hours, at my discretion.
Right, this is where I draw the line. You are in no position to change the rules, or to interpret them as you see fit here. You are simply scoring the game according to the rules, WITH MY CONSENT. I've already stated that the "don't go mad with spoilers" rule was simply to stop people having conversations or discussion in the thread by way of spoilers. We could have 73643 people playing this game, and every single one of them could make a spoiler one after the other. That is in the rules, and is perfectly acceptable in my mind. Seven spoilers a week is "not occasional"? That's an average of one a day! When this game first started years ago people were posting spoilers all over the place. The reason spoilers appear to be less common now is that we only have a few people playing the game, and most of them are claiming for points.

I've got a good mind to simply remove the entire game from the forum at this rate. Or would that be against the rules too?

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I really don't mind what you do, Tubeguru. It's only a game after all.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:Could you be any more annoying today?
Please go ahead and remove this game. It would give me inordinate pleasure. It's a tired, boring old format that has long outlived its original purpose. There are lots of much more interesting games we can play on the forum.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

But you were still happy to come in and play it, despite all these flaws?

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I was doing it to make a point. And I think my point has been made.

Come on, Tubeguru. Kill it out of kindness.