daz stevens attempt may 21st

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
palkanetoijala31

daz stevens attempt may 21st

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

With Daz permission he has asked me to do this write up of his attempt on may 21st.

Started off the day driving up to OSTERLEY car park arrived about just after 4am so settled down for half an hours sleep phoned andy to ask what time does the station open and got on the 231 to HEATHROW T4.

Set off at 05:05 so thought first connection would be tight fortunately the t5 train was running a bit late as well so the first connection was about 20 secs so down to t5 and reverse but running 3 mins late from terminal 5 for some reason 05:26:30.

So a nice running piccadilly line train seemed to pick up some time towards BARONS COURT but no district seen for some time led to planned possible 06:15 KENSINGTON OLYMPIA being put out of window. So into West Kensington at 06:07 and walked steadily this time the correct way out of the station and took exactly 16 minutes to get to KENSINGTON OLYMPIA so just enough time to take a photo and figure out what to do.

EARLS COURT got off and waited and waited for an EDGWARE ROAD i think at least 3 differant trains came by and past before the one i wanted so ten minutes sat around waiting a smooth changeover at EDGWARE ROAD put me 13 mins down on plan.

Coming down into HAMMERSMITH and having trouble to get across the busy road arrivng in the other station saw a district arriving an EALING BROADWAY train got on it for two stops to STAMFORD BROOK and used the toilet here and waited for a RICHMOND train.

With andy,s advice about the overground used that back up to GUNNERSBURY the sunday before in the goat and tricycle bmth we had a lovely pint and discussion about this change andy said turn right our of station and use the back roads and turn left at halfords some lady even knew it coming from chiswick apparently walk took 10 mins in total.

CHISWICK PARK got back to being only 4 mins down off schedule a poor change at EALING BROADWAY 5 mins in total but got into position for my third walk of the day from WEST ACTON andy,s route for me involved slow tfl walking pace and this is one i think tfl gets wrong 17 mins and only took 7 minutes to do it in so back on schedule at NORTH EALING a lovely pretty station.

Changing at RAYNERS LANE for a met line train into UXBRIDGE and apparently andy least favourite station i can see why droll and dirty but out again on schedule towards ICKENHAM.

A predicted walk pace of 16 minutes was done in 14 minutes and passed 3 differant pubs including a spoons around the corner thought hmm brekkie but decided to carry on thought that i had made a mistake here at HAINAULT when waiting 14 mins for the next WOODFORD train but at least had time for a well needed toilet break and sandwich.

A couple of nice smooth changeovers and back into town from EPPING to LEYTONSTONE a nice slow walk over to the high road and the central line was done and dusted back on schedule.The path from WALTHAMSTOW QUEENS ROAD well signposted and easy to follow so arrived at WALTHAMSTOW CENTRAL relaxed and confidant of the day so far.

Taking the victoria line down to euston got slightly lost in the maze of corridors but found my way to the northern line unsure of whether it was the right one though? saw that it was an EDGWARE train coming in via the boards so took that.

EDGWARE was advised to go out to the streets instead of the bus station armed with advice of bus 142 direct to STANMORE lucky if u can get bus 79/186/340 to CANONS PARK if not get looking back whilst walking down the high street and bus 79 pulls out of the station so a little jog to cross the traffic lights to the next bus stop and gladfully caught sat upstairs smug and relaxed.

Smooth changeover at STANMORE and for the only time in the day ahead of schedule only by 3 mins but thought this is going ok had about 2 hours spare time to complete so all going well,back of carriage 2 and walk down the met line platforms at BAKER STREET i was told if ALDGATE train due to depart get on as it have priority with the signals over circle but i obviously forgot about this piece of advice as waited 7 minutes here when should have gone to circle line platforms never mind advice for next time!.

MOORGATE took the first train going on the northern line and wondered did i go to MORNINGTON CRESCENT earlier on as i was on a packed train and sorting myself out with stuff could remember if i did visit or not arriving at EUSTON BANK BRANCH found that i must have been on the EUSTON CHARING CROSS BRANCH earlier on as it was completely differant looking.

Back on schedule at FINCHLEY CENTRAL due to lax connections on my route at this part and went up to MILL HILL EAST and back to my best connection 45secs only wait at FINCHLEY CENTRAL for a train to HIGH BARNET this is where i could use support in future to get better connections etc.

Waited and waited for the perfect bus 307 helped a blind bloke off the bus and seemingly taking ages to pass slow traffic through NEW BARNET was according to map about 200 metres from OAKWOOD station stuck in traffic and police lights ahead no movement at all so asked driver to get off and walked the remaining really should do this better next time!.

Arriving at COCKFOSTERS 15:56 a whopping 46 minutes since i left HIGH BARNET i was 13 mins down on schedule and not particulary happy at all but the next stretch was long so i had time to think could i make up any time with what i had left.

With a switch at EARLS COURT from piccadilly line to district line made my way down to WIMBLEDON because im not a fast runner it was suggested i use the train or tram as buses too slow arriving at the wrong time meant tram was the only option but with connections was only 7 minutes down thank god for a pre planned route!

Morden Road feeling the pace and tiredness walked down the road and hunger took over so stopped in the sainsburys for some water and cheese and arrived in MORDEN ten mins down on schedule.

The next bit was to make my way towards SLOANE SQUARE for a circle via all these bits that apparently are a tubechallengers dream if they work cross platform wise quick and fast changes but no real benefit made so stuck around ten minutes down platforms at victoria heaving and couldnt get into a good door position, pulling into SLOANE SQUARE saw another train in platform opposite arriving and as fast as i tried to get across running up escalator and down stairs over side only saw a departing train leaving and it was a circle as well DAMM!

So waiting at SLOANE SQUARE for the next ten minutes considered my options for ALDGATE saw that from electronic boards that i had a 2min upminster train behind but none after that so i would have to run if i wanted that train.

ALDGATE EAST tried as i might i couldnt run fast enough so ended up missing the train and checking my route was 23 minutes behind still enough lax time to finish though.

Coming back from UPMINSTER on a c2c and not using the toilets available stupid mistake as per later on and checking the district line off my list along with central and victoria came back to WEST HAM 27 mins down after relocating to the jubilee line platforms unsure of door postion for SOUTHWARK but found i actually got lucky with my choice and quick double back to LONDON BRIDGE.

Came down to ELEPHANT & CASTLE realising that my door position was crap at front of train when should have been back lost some time walking down the platform to the exit for bakerloo line and ended up 30 mins down on schedule.

Changing at WATERLOO for the northern line to tick off the one thing buggering me up on the central TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD i had planned to walk from WARREN STREET to REGENTS PARK started to feel the need to relieve myself but no real oppurtunity too as time was ticking on.

Waited for an actual HARROW & WHEALDSTONE train although i was told to take first train to QUEENS PARK i was unsure of what to do at this point shame my phone died as i needed help on toilet locations etc.

An excellant changeover at HARROW & WHEALDSTONE was told this can be very tight and annoying of 30secs in and out a record for the day,only annoying thing no chance for toilet knew about PRESTON ROAD toilets though.

Walking from KENTON to NORTHWICK PARK saw train arrving and had to run like **** for the last 50m to make it thought got to go at next stop saw toilet open but saw an UXBRIDGE TRAIN arriving at platform couldnt miss this oppurtunity to get out WEST HARROW bugger.

Still 30 mins down took the walk easy on my expanding bladder popped off to a shop for a bottle of beer for later on NORTH HARROW 22:20 departure to WATFORD was unsure on when the train was due out it was ten minutes if i had of known this i have popped out of station for a comfort break but no knowledge of WTT meant oppurtunity wasted.

MOOR PARK again annoying AMERSHAM train arriving so no oppurtunity to use the loo here either had to take train and arriving at the station could wait no longer waited 30 mins here to take me back one station left could i do it yes i could but only just had to arrange the car to be brought up as no chance for return to harrow and bus 140.

Got one of the last CHESHAM TRAINS up and rolled into platform at 23:45:16

So a start time of exactly 05:05:00 was 18h 40m 16s not bad for a first completion but really could use a team mate next time and some support!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Re: daz stevens attempt may 21st

Post by RJSRdg »

palkanetoijala31 wrote: A predicted walk pace of 16 minutes was done in 14 minutes and passed 3 differant pubs including a spoons around the corner thought hmm brekkie but decided to carry on thought that i had made a mistake here at HAINAULT when waiting 14 mins for the next WOODFORD train but at least had time for a well needed toilet break and sandwich.
Where are the loos at Hainault? I couldn't find any last week when I had an 18 minute stop!
palkanetoijala31 wrote: so asked driver to get off
The bus won't go at all if you do that...
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
palkanetoijala31

to answer that question for daz he asked the staff at HAINAULT to use theirs which they were happy to do and the bus was just literally only got back into the road after leaving peace close stop the one before OAKWOOD no movement from the cars ahead.
alexmcmotor
Zone 1

Post by alexmcmotor »

Congratulations to Daz on a successful completion! I'm not sure how eager he is to do it again in the near future, but if he's looking for someone to be support, I'm based in London (albeit until the end of June) and would be happy to help him round if he wants it.
6 FNC Attempts
5 Completions: PB 17:52:44

R15 Victories: 2015-16 R5, 2018-19 R4
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:to answer that question for daz he asked the staff at HAINAULT to use theirs which they were happy to do and the bus was just literally only got back into the road after leaving peace close stop the one before OAKWOOD no movement from the cars ahead.
Sorry, the bus driver comment was tongue in cheek as I read it at first that it was the driver he wanted to leave the bus....
palkanetoijala31

RJSRdg wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:to answer that question for daz he asked the staff at HAINAULT to use theirs which they were happy to do and the bus was just literally only got back into the road after leaving peace close stop the one before OAKWOOD no movement from the cars ahead.
Sorry, the bus driver comment was tongue in cheek as I read it at first that it was the driver he wanted to leave the bus....
lol its a shame u cant get any bus drivers a 384 driver late at night would be particulary helpful whoops i forgot to pick up that passenger well never mind i got to get to cockfosters double smart.
palkanetoijala31

daz mentioned like he like to go again after he has recovered properly of course he laso mentioned about filming the entire attempt which is very possible he said he like to go under 17h.
Das
Zone 2

Post by Das »

Hello,sorry can't always get on here,back to reality this week after a week off,still buzzing over the FNC attempt last Thursday amd keep going over it,im like this when I score a goal at 5 a side,the sensation last a week,sad I know,many thanks to Andy for the write up and the invaluable tips,strategy and experience and many thanks for any offers of help in the future,Ill definitely be up for it again,would be good to get the good bits on dvd maybe condense it to 90 minutes,taken from bits of each tube journey(50 I think in my case),train,bus tram and running ! inbetween.As Andy explained very friendly staff at Hainault,didnt mind me using their loos,the 307 bus situation was bizarre as there were old bill hiding in the bushes along the side of the road but all wearing yellow hi vis jackets,strange.I'm still unsure about taking the 384,having been a driver on it (96/97)I'm familiar with its mad route,but I still have to think about getting from Barnet to Cockfosters quicker than I have currently managed.Once again Thank you,Das
Das
Zone 2

Post by Das »

How do you post photos on this thing?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Das wrote:How do you post photos on this thing?
You need to have the photo hosted somewhere on the internet, and then you use the [ url] and [ /url] tags to surround the URL of the picture.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

https://twitter.com/dasstevens/status/6 ... 1691003905 thats an example of how it works daz
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Or even

(i.e. click the "Img" button and enter the URL of the photo.
Das
Zone 2

Post by Das »

Right cheers chaps,you make it sound so easy
Das
Zone 2

Post by Das »

Das
Zone 2