Sydney All-Stations Challenge

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Sydney All-Stations Challenge

Post by leamfarrar »

https://sydneytrainschallenges.wordpres ... nge-rules/

I'm still working on the website when I get free time from my work each night, but these are the latest rules that we have.

Here are the rules for the Sydney Trains All-Stations Challenge. There might be a lot, but it ensures fairness amongst group members and makes sure that nobody cheats their way into our record books. We all want to do this challenge (and another other challenges we create) fairly and with honour, so the rules are there to make sure that everyone is on the same page and also if there is any debate afterwards; it can be settled very easily. It also lays out the points system for the challenge, which makes everyone even that more fun.
  • All challenges must start after 5:30am and finish before 12:00am (midnight)
  • All trips must be made on a train (i.e. no buses) and walking between two stations is not allowed
  • Competitors must stop at all 176 suburban stations across the Sydney Trains network
  • Photographic evidence must be provided for any points disputes and posted to the Facebook group for non-competitors to see progress
Now; those who complete the challenge can do the challenge on their own (a solo run) or in a team. If they run in a team, then points are given to the whole team, rather than between each person in the group. Overall; competitors loses 2 points for every minute of the challenge. The biggest hurdle is that if a competitor fails to stop at any station after the challenge is over, their final score is divided by the amount of stations missed plus 1 (X+1), so in the event that one station is missed; the final score is divided in half.

We also have 10 bonus stations that are drawn before the beginning of the challenge are given 60 points for the first person (or team) to arrive at that station. In order to receive the 60 points, photographic evidence needs to be provided and noted on the Facebook group with a time of arrival.

The person (or team) that finishes first, that is, posts a picture of the clock at Central first receives an extra 100 points on top of their score throughout the day, 2nd place receives 50 points and 3rd place gets an extra 30 points. Some train sets also receive extra points, such as the Intercity (or NSW TrainLink) V-set and other sets. The A-set (Waratah) train as well as the T-set and G-set (Tangara) do not receive points as they are throughout the system and are some of the most regular sets used on the network.

When someone (or a team) arrives at a station before anybody else (or any other team), they receive 17 points for “winning” that station, if two trains arrive at the same time and people (or teams) are on seperate trains, or even the same train and arrive at the same time; each person, or team, is given 15 points each. Second to arrive at a station receives 13 points, while 3rd place receives 11 points and 4th place and beyond receive 10 points. The bonus platforms are interesting; they are a set of platforms that are infrequently used by regular services and as such; if a person (or team) can stop at that platform, they will receive not only the amount of points for being 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th to that station but an extra 10 points for stopping at a bonus platform.
Leam Mark Farrar
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Sydney All-Stations Challenge

Post by tractakid »

I am assuming there is also a standard 'fastest time' with buses and running etc?
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

tractakid wrote:I am assuming there is also a standard 'fastest time' with buses and running etc?
We actually don't use buses in the challenge
Leam Mark Farrar
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

leamfarrar wrote:
tractakid wrote:I am assuming there is also a standard 'fastest time' with buses and running etc?
I'm not talking about your challenge, I am asking if there are people that complete the Sydney challenge with GWR style rules...
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

leamfarrar wrote:
dont tell tangy that he get upset!
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

tractakid wrote:
leamfarrar wrote:
I'm not talking about your challenge, I am asking if there are people that complete the Sydney challenge with GWR style rules...
I wouldn't know the GWR rules, so not too sure but I can always check :)
Leam Mark Farrar
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

Checked out some of the distances on some of the more "obvious" runs on the map, if you treated it like the Tube Challenge:

Most are fine:

Circular Quay - Martin Place - 850m
St James - Kings Cross - 1.4km
Harris Park - Rosehill - 1.4km
Homebush - Flemington - 1.6km
Kirrawee - Loftus - 2.5km
Olympic Park - North Strathfield - 2.9km
Carlingford - Epping - 3.9km

But I don't fancy:

Emu Plains - Marayong - 25km
Waterfall - MacArthur - 36km
Richmond - Berowra - 49km