Croxley go-ahead

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: Croxley go-ahead

Post by The Orange One »

My exhibition service day routes now go from Epping.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The Orange One wrote:My exhibition service day routes now go from Epping.
They use the secret diveunder at Mile End I believe
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I use the Dollis Hill loop.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The Orange One wrote:I use the Dollis Hill loop.
Oh.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

The way I see this is that there are two viable options.

As Geoff has been quoted (and therefore cannot be turned into "trains") in a later post, he has pointed out the more sensible and "first thought" option, which is to simply double back to Watford Junction rather than Watford met, but that does add on 20 minutes. The other option, for me, is to work out a brand new route around it, as opposed to building it into your route. It might have a big knock-on effect when it comes to planning, which is what I'm currently looking at. As far as I can work out, it's going to make three previously inconspicuous stations a real pain in the arse.

Also, the opening date has been pushed back to 2017.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Here's how not to plan your routes - I am pretty sure this is at least 20 hours long. Yes, those spelling mistakes were intentional.

Chesham :arrow: Chalfont & Latimer (Met) :arrow: Amersham (Met/Chiltern) :arrow: Marylebone (Chiltern) :arrow: Harrow & Wealdstone (Bak) :arrow: Watford Unction (LM/Southern) :arrow: Preston Road (Met) :arrow: Uxbridge (Met) :arrow: Heathrow Central (A10 bus) :arrow: Heathrow Terminal 4 (HEx) :arrow: Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3 (Pic) :arrow: Heathrow Terminal 5 (Pic) :arrow: Acton Town (Pic) :arrow: Ealing Broadway (Dis) :arrow: West Acton (Cen) :arrow: Nort Healing (Pic) :arrow: Southarrow (Pic) :arrow: Northolt Park (foot) :arrow: West Ruislip (Chiltern) :arrow: Hollande Parke (Cen) :arrow: Kensington Olumphia (49 bus) :arrow: High Street Kensington (Dis) :arrow: Bay Swatter (Cir/Dis) :arrow: Queen Sway (foot) :arrow: Bank (Cen) :arrow: Waterloo (W&C) :arrow: Elephant & Hassle (Bak) :arrow: Borough (Nor) :arrow: Stockwell (Nor) :arrow: Brixton (Vic) :arrow: Clapham High Street (climbing onto then jumping off the roof of a Southeastern train) :arrow: Clapham North (foot) :arrow: Morden (Nor) :arrow: South Merton (foot) :arrow: Wimbledon (FCC) :arrow: Earl's Court (Dis) :arrow: Barons Courted (Dis) :arrow: Convent Garden (Pic) :arrow: Leicester Square (Pic) :arrow: Waterloo (Nor) :arrow: Startford (Jub) :arrow: Liverpool Saint (Cen) :arrow: Oldgate (Cir/Met) :arrow: Fenchurch Street (foot) :arrow: Upminster (c2c) :arrow: Sloane Square (Dis) :arrow: Victoria (Cir/Dis) :arrow: Vauxhall (Vic) :arrow: Rochmand (SWT) :arrow: Gunnersburied (Dis/LO) :arrow: Chiswick Park (foot) :arrow: Hammersmith (Dis/Pic - arrived by Dis) :arrow: Hammersmith (Cir/H&C - arrived by foot) :arrow: Great Portland Street (Cir/H&C) :arrow: Regent's Park (foot) :arrow: Baker Street (Bak) :arrow: Standmore (Jub) :arrow: Canons Park (Jub) :arrow: Edgware (79/186/340 bus) :arrow: Goodge Street (Nor) :arrow: Rustle Square (foot) :arrow: Cockfosters (Pic) :arrow: Cockfosters Roundabout (foot/298/299 bus) :arrow: High Barnet (307 bus) :arrow: Finchley Control (Nor) :arrow: Mill Hill East (Nor) :arrow: Finchley Central (Nor) :arrow: Moorgate (Nor) :arrow: Houston Square (Cir/H&C/Met) :arrow: Houston (foot) :arrow: Waltzamstow Control (Vic) :arrow: Waltzamstow Queens Road (rail replacement footpath) :arrow: Leyton Midland Road (LO - frankly I could just have taken the bus, but I wanted to use the rail replacement footpath) :arrow: Leyton (69/97 bus) :arrow: Snaresbrook (Cen) :arrow: Wanstead (66 bus, just so I could throw in another bus, frankly) :arrow: Woodford (Cen) :arrow: South Woodford (Cen) :arrow: Epic Epping (Cen)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Don't hold your breath, but according to the post on Diamond Geezer's blog today, the Croxley link won't be opening until December 2019 at the earliest. At this rate, the Battersea extension may be first. As I had planned to make a FNC with the new Met line my swansong for tube challenging, the good news is that by then I will be able to do it for free on a old folks Oyster card (assuming they haven't been abolished by 2019).
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Nigel wrote:Don't hold your breath, but according to the post on Diamond Geezer's blog today, the Croxley link won't be opening until December 2019 at the earliest. At this rate, the Battersea extension may be first. As I had planned to make a FNC with the new Met line my swansong for tube challenging, the good news is that by then I will be able to do it for free on a old folks Oyster card (assuming they haven't been abolished by 2019).
i told you before dont bother waiting for croxley but i be surprised if battersea opens before then anyway :lol:
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

latest updates on croxley link is 2020!
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Just messing about with the current timetables and I found this particular NW Corner start - it's a tiny bit illegal though!

0515 Chesham to Chalfont and Latimer 0524
0528 Chalfont and Latimer to Amersham 0531
0547 Amersham to North Harrow 0612
0618 North Harrow to Watford Junction - probably about 0641-ish going by the "2 minutes per station stop" rule of thumb; this is going by the current timetable for trains to Watford and adding 6 minutes on the end.
0643 Watford Junction to London Euston 0702

The added twist being you get an extra 15 minutes in a bed! I think the use of this particular TOC is a Tube Challenging first.

Actually, these connections may actually be lax enough (especially without any out of station runs) that you could set your alarm for 7am, get a friend to carry you through the first stages, dump you on the bed and you wake up on the approach to Euston with 15 stations already on the clock!
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

The Orange One wrote:Just messing about with the current timetables and I found this particular NW Corner start - it's a tiny bit illegal though!

0515 Chesham to Chalfont and Latimer 0524
0528 Chalfont and Latimer to Amersham 0531
0547 Amersham to North Harrow 0612
0618 North Harrow to Watford Junction - probably about 0641-ish going by the "2 minutes per station stop" rule of thumb; this is going by the current timetable for trains to Watford and adding 6 minutes on the end.
0643 Watford Junction to London Euston 0702

The added twist being you get an extra 15 minutes in a bed! I think the use of this particular TOC is a Tube Challenging first.

Actually, these connections may actually be lax enough (especially without any out of station runs) that you could set your alarm for 7am, get a friend to carry you through the first stages, dump you on the bed and you wake up on the approach to Euston with 15 stations already on the clock!
As the 05:15 goes to Watford met now it may be run through to Watford junction once the link is built.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

That is legal, as long as you have a ticket from Carlisle - London!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver