First timer August 2014 - some advice please!

Discuss the full Tube Challenge here
greatkingrat
All Zones

Re: First timer August 2014 - some advice please!

Post by greatkingrat »

First train is 0947 from Earl's Court / 0955 from Olympia.

(plus the 6am trains of course)
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
FlyingScot
Zone 1

Post by FlyingScot »

Thanks Nozzacook - that really helps things. While all the GWR people will be tearing their hair out if they miss a train by a minute or two, I'll be up at street level on a resupply mission for 20 minutes :)
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

FlyingScot wrote:As for phones and tablets etc, I've got my smartphone and was thinking about buying another battery but might just bring my tablet along instead. It's not an iPhone so alas don't have the Station Master app, but I've got my paper 'Way Out Tube Map' (you can get it at Stanfords travel shop beside the tills, priced £1.95) so that will help me cut through the crowds from tube to tube.
As soon as you get into the underground section (depending on your route this may be a few hours in) switch your phone into Flight mode and only switch it out of this mode if you absolutely have to.
- Andrew
FlyingScot
Zone 1

Post by FlyingScot »

"As soon as you get into the underground section (depending on your route this may be a few hours in) switch your phone into Flight mode and only switch it out of this mode if you absolutely have to."

That's a good point. You know what: I don't think I've ever actually used Flight Mode, lol. Even on a plane i just turn the thing off!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

On an expo service day you have 30 mins between trains - you'd be better off doing something with the time and trying to get back there for the next one, or alternatively running/bussing it between Earl's Court and Ken O so you can get the return train
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Tube_b

Post by Tube_b »

FlyingScot wrote:Thanks Nozzacook - that really helps things. While all the GWR people will be tearing their hair out if they miss a train by a minute or two, I'll be up at street level on a resupply mission for 20 minutes :)
to be honest. I would go and just buy some supplies as well and then fo all my runs at an extremely quick pace
FlyingScot
Zone 1

Post by FlyingScot »

Hey folks,

Thx once again for your feedback and words of wisdom - they've been a big help. It's only a few hrs to go before I begin, as unfortunately I've had to bring it forward to Wednesday and not FART Thursday - bummer.

Depending on how well i conserve my phone and tablet power, I might be tweeting as the day of insanity progresses as I saw the #tubechallenge 'tag. While I'd love to utter multiple blasphemies and expletives depending on how well the network performs I will try to keep it respectable haha. :D

Well, I'd better get to bed now. It's going to be one hell of a day tomorrow. See you on the other side! :D

B
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

How did it go? I assume you made it to the 'the other side''.
FlyingScot
Zone 1

Post by FlyingScot »

Hi folks,

Sorry I've been quiet the last few days. You'll know in a few secs why.

So, it was last Tuesday night, I'd just posted one or two things on here, and the odd PM or two, and had finally got some semblance of a route sorted out. It was about 2300 hrs and I was about to head to bed so i could get up at about 4ish to begin the Challenge on Wednesday.

Then I looked at my phone and saw i had an email.

Bad news. REALLY bad news. I had to call my wife's Aunt in the USA. But when you're not told everything in the email but you ARE told to be sitting down, you know it ain't sounding good.

I rang.

My brother in law had died.

Obviously that kyboshed my Wednesday Challenge. Despite being in the middle of moving (the living room resembles a warzone of half filled boxes and bubble wrap), and my wife now having to try and sort out arrangements for flying back to the US for her brother's funeral, she was telling me I could still do the Challenge on Thursday / Friday, - what a trooper. She knew how much it meant to me to attempt before we left the area. But in my heart of hearts I knew I couldn't go ahead with it. There would have been a big cloud hanging over me all day.

But I am determined.... so in the style of the credits of a 007 film.....

JAMES BON FLYING SCOT WILL RETURN
IN
THE FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE
AUGUST 2015

But of course I'll keep checking in here for updates of tube challenge insanity and successful attempts and hair-pulling tirades directed towards missed connections....
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Very sorry to hear your news.
kateyay
Zone 3

Post by kateyay »

Oh no - best wishes to all of you and sorry to hear of this :(