The forum "in decline"?

Your comments and suggestions on this forum are welcome here
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: The forum "in decline"?

Post by The Orange One »

tractakid wrote:I think it's a great shame when people have developed grudges against one another. I am not afraid to admit that I have been irritated by some people at different points (as I am certain I have irritated others too) but that is bound to happen when such an odd group of people gather together. I do my best to practise forgiveness and I really think that the whole community would be healthier without such grudges that have developed.
Agreed.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

The Orange One wrote:
tractakid wrote:I think it's a great shame when people have developed grudges against one another. I am not afraid to admit that I have been irritated by some people at different points (as I am certain I have irritated others too) but that is bound to happen when such an odd group of people gather together. I do my best to practise forgiveness and I really think that the whole community would be healthier without such grudges that have developed.
Agreed.
Another vote for 'agreed'.
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

RobbieM wrote:
The Orange One wrote:
Agreed.
Another vote for 'agreed'.
I know I'm a newbie here on the forum, and should probably keep my mouth shut, but if you must have a grudge against someone, don't put it on a public space where absolutely anyone and everyone can see it. I don't want to know if X believes Y should behave differently for the good of the nation, or if Z does not get along with V, but then again, as tractakid alluded to, we are an odd bunch of people and we Are likely to disagree on things occasionally, THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE DO. No one will ever get through life without having a different opinion about something (or someone), so deal with it and get a life!
London Overground: 1 10:28:25 with Lewis Nagle and Aubery Morandarte
Mouse: 4 1:27:58
Alphabet: 1 5:14:20
R15: 2 1:55:48 with Rhys Jackson and Rhys Benjamin
ALC: 3 0:54:30
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I notice that The Raven is happy to make accusations of decline, but then fail to accept my invitation to go into them. At least The Orange One had the balls to list potential issues.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
TC95
Zone 4

Post by TC95 »

tubeguru wrote:I notice that The Raven is happy to make accusations of decline, but then fail to accept my invitation to go into them. At least The Orange One had the balls to list potential issues.
There's no point being bitchy about it, do it in private where only you and the accused can see it. I've not necessarily met all those being accused, and I'm started to form bad opinions about them.

Are you men or are you children?
London Overground: 1 10:28:25 with Lewis Nagle and Aubery Morandarte
Mouse: 4 1:27:58
Alphabet: 1 5:14:20
R15: 2 1:55:48 with Rhys Jackson and Rhys Benjamin
ALC: 3 0:54:30
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tubeguru wrote:He's not obliged to post anything here, you know.
very true he is not and glad he is not as i dont want to see the name trains on every thread :lol:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well, if I might offer some perspective here, they are old threads, and I daresay no one's really upset by his changing them. They're his posts, after all ...

Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tubeguru wrote:Well, if I might offer some perspective here, they are old threads, and I daresay no one's really upset by his changing them. They're his posts, after all ...
i can offer some perspective here no one upset that he has changed them but i can offer and predict the real reason why because they contain vital information to routes and changes that someone might use to beat his oh some precious world record to him :lol:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well quite.

God forbid that someone might post stuff about the tube challenge on this forum, of all forums ...

Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Ok... Here's my views....

Me as bad cop, yes I was - I moderated this place a lot more than Tubeguru did at one point. Now I've almost given up except for the odd post which could get the forum into trouble. This place now has very mild moderation and threads deviate wildly.

Irritated - yes very much at times. Tractakid disrupting rather than playing tumbleweed springs to mind.

Geoff v Andi - always mildly amusing. Yes I've chosen my side of the fence but so did people when Prost and Senna hated each other. What always surprised me on here was that people would criticise Geoff for things because they knew he was not 'team Andi'. My view of Andi - I don't have one. He did very well with his achievements and I respect that but I have never had a conversation with the bloke. It might surprise you to find that when Geoff and I sit and have a beer, we don't even discuss the tube let alone this forum.

Geoff is not the only person who no longer posts on here. Yes, Geoff did remove the contents of earlier posts but he never posted anything which wasn't already in the public domain anyway. He has removed no secrets - they were never on here. As for why he left, I'm not speaking for him. What I will say, is that if he chooses to use his world record to boost his business then that's fine (any of you can do they same with your world records), if any if your want to leave and have your posts set to trains then that's fine,

Zone 1 - just because people run a forum where a topic is discussed does not mean that they have to attend an event. It's not like either of your moderators live anywhere near London. Back when we did attend, we either lived or worked daily in London - 10 years later that is not the case.

Me posting - this forum is one of a number of pies that I have my fingers in. The only tube related one. As for priorities, this ranks below work and my family therefore fits in where there is a gap.

The forum was set up 10 years ago when Neil was world record holder. Zone 1 was raising publicity but the forum was largely populated by people who heard what we were doing for the 7/7 bombings a year later. Zone 1 was for all those who wanted to have a go but maybe didn't know where to start. Last month, we took a group on a trip around the network for charity, charity, not for setting a time but to raise money for sick people, animals, book banks and other good causes. Some of the comments about the fact we visited Kensington Olympia by overground make me despair. We didn't breaks the rules as the rules for our charity day said that it was ok. It was for charity it was never to get a name on the i've visited all stations thread. To my knowledge no one ever asked for their name to go on that thread but that did not stop the criticism in advance of any requests. It was for charity - did I mention that?

So we've all had a bitch but more importantly how do we go on? Do we bother? Do we pack up and go home? Do we have a proper moderation team? Answers in a subsequent reply please.

My prediction, with the met line changes at Watford and the Northern Line to Battersea over the next six years, this palace will pick up.

Right time to go shopping in a high street on a Sunday.......! Controversial?
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The only thing I will say about the moderation of the forum is that a few years ago I was quite strict about it, and would try to keep things on topic.

However, I felt that people resented me for being a little heavy-handed, and so more recently I have stepped back a bit. It would appear that that it also wrong in some people's eyes. Finding the right balance is difficult, as the users of forums can be very demanding when it comes to how they see it being run.

I would say that compared to the majority of web forums, we don't do too bad a job of remaining mostly on-topic. As with Chris, I can't devote every waking minute of my life to the forum, but the place seems to chug along quite nicely anyway. I can't remember the last time I had to sort out a REALLY serious problem, although some of you did get a little stressy over the changing of the word "the" to "ze" a while back, for reasons I don't quite understand.

Member of sweet FA
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

tubeguru wrote:I can't remember the last time I had to sort out a REALLY serious problem, although some of you did get a little stressy over the changing of the word "the" to "ze" a while back, for reasons I don't quite understand.
I thought zat was pretty funny, actually.

I don't have a problem with current moderation, I'm just trying to point out why people might. I notice one of the points I made hasn't been touched upon at all.

As for the Geoff vs Andi, it's kind of funny how people attempted to split the forum into two distinct teams. I mean, there was clearly a third team even then (Team Brown), there is a fourth team now (Team Rhys), not to mention those of us who work alone (e.g. myself).

I think we should struggle on, though. There's been a number of new faces recently, like hopeful traveller, DrainBrain, TC95, tractakid and myself, so the forum is not gone yet. Bring on the Croxley Rail Link and the resurgence of the tube challenge!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The Orange One wrote:I notice one of the points I made hasn't been touched upon at all.
Which one?

Member of sweet FA
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

The one about our resident traveller.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The Orange One wrote:The one about our resident traveller.
I think we all do what people usually do when presented with strong political opinions - ignore it for the propaganda it is.

Member of sweet FA