Deleting posts in "Quizzes and Games"

Your comments and suggestions on this forum are welcome here
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Deleting posts in "Quizzes and Games"

Post by GuyBarry »

Just checked my permissions on the "Quizzes and Games" forum and it says "You cannot delete your posts in this forum". I can do so in all the other forums (apart from Tumbleweed, Announcements and this one). Is there a special reason for this?
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
Garion
All Zones

Re: Deleting posts in "Quizzes and Games"

Post by Garion »

I think it was originally for the Tumbleweed games so that users could not go back and edit posts. For example,

Person A claims "6 Bells" at 10pm but then logs on again at 1AM and sees that there is no reply to the game. Therefore Person A edits the post to say "9 Bells" etc.

I think this was when Tumbleweed was originally part of the Quiz/Games section before being moved to its own forum. I could be wrong on this though?
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Garion wrote:I think it was originally for the Tumbleweed games so that users could not go back and edit posts. For example,

Person A claims "6 Bells" at 10pm but then logs on again at 1AM and sees that there is no reply to the game. Therefore Person A edits the post to say "9 Bells" etc.
That wouldn't work. The time of the post doesn't change when you edit it, so it would say "9 bells" but still be timestamped 10pm (making it invalid).

Anyway, edit and delete permissions are separate. I can edit posts in Quizzes and Games - I just can't delete them. That's why I edited a recent post in Counting to say "[deleted]", prompting Tubeguru to ask why I hadn't deleted it. As he presumably sets the permissions I assumed he'd know the reason.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The edit and delete permissions in Q&G are indeed still set from when Tumbleweed was located there. I had never changed it since Tumbleweed was moved out, but have just changed the "Registered Users" group so that they can now delete their own posts in Q&G.

So go back and try to delete the post which says "[deleted]", and see if it works.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I'm afraid not - although the permissions in "Quizzes and Games" have changed, the ones in the "Never Ending Games" subforum still say "you cannot delete posts in this forum".

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Try it now.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

The problem is that it appears that I can only delete the final post in a thread. I successfully deleted one that I put there for the purpose, but I couldn't delete the earlier one until I'd deleted my response to you and you'd deleted your own post.

Anyway, it's sorted out now (and I've reposted my fact for 1087).

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Don't worry yourself too much about it. I can always delete any post on the forum.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tubeguru wrote:Don't worry yourself too much about it. I can always delete any post on the forum.
Perhaps you could delete the following posts in the counting thread which are not part of the game then:

24 Jan 19:18
25 Jan 08:33
25 Jan 10:22
25 Jan 13:36
25 Jan 14:39
25 Jan 17:39
25 Jan 18:14

Also maybe edit your own post at 25 Jan 16:26 so that it says something substantial about 1070.

(And please feel free to delete all my petulant remarks in the Tumbleweed thread while you're at it.)

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I'm happy to leave the posts that you mentioned. No one's complained about them.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I just have. Anyway, three of them were mine. You could delete those even if you want to leave the others.

tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

GuyBarry wrote:
tubeguru wrote:Don't worry yourself too much about it. I can always delete any post on the forum.
Perhaps you could delete the following posts in the counting thread which are not part of the game then:

I am not sure it is appropriate to ask for another person's post to be deleted.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tractakid wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:

I am not sure it is appropriate to ask for another person's post to be deleted.
I'm not quite sure why you singled out your own post there - the list also included one by The Orange One, two by Tubeguru and three by me. I was really referring to rule 5 of the counting game, which states:

"Posts containing no reference to the next number in sequence are not game posts and should be ignored by other players. They may be deleted at the discretion of Tubeguru."

I would expect Tubeguru to exercise his discretion in such circumstances, where there was a series of posts of that type.

nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Re: Alteration of posts
by GuyBarry » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:25 pm

tractakid wrote:
It was a temporary change that caused a lot of laughter.
So why wasn't it changed back on Friday night then? I wasn't around for that particular discussion - I just logged in this morning and discovered that my posts were being converted into drivel. I have no idea what prompted the original change.

I'm sorry, but I don't like forums that muck around with people's posts, however innocent the intention. I was a forum administrator for many years and I would never have dreamed of doing such a thing, even in jest.
I believe deleting post that are not causing offence fall into the same.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

If it's alright, I'd like to keep this one from 25 Jan 2014, 13:36.
The Orange One wrote:
tractakid wrote:Oi! Leave Tumbleweed out of this!
Perhaps it will remind people to LEAVE OTHER PEOPLE'S GAMES ALONE - if the games are well constructed of course. I don't mind people making fun of "Counting meets Tumbleweed", because it was a badly constructed game. Although it was made around the time this happened.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.