Rare Entries meets Counting - 2

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Rare Entries meets Counting - 2

Post by GuyBarry »

Ever the optimist, I'm going to have another go. For each question, all you have to do is find a number in the range 433-1022 whose entry in the counting game thread refers to:

(1) a train or class of train
(2) a submarine
(3) a type of computer or calculating machine
(4) a food additive
(5) an outdoor sport other than (association) football
(6) a song or individual musical work (not an album)
(7) a type of drink, or the manufacturer of a drink
(8) a commercial business with the number in its name
(9) a mathematical fact involving prime numbers
(10) a national assembly or parliament

Usual Rare Entries rules and scoring apply. If a number has more than one entry in the thread, only the first will be considered. All non-counting posts in the thread should be ignored. Any number whose entry has been edited after the time of this post will be disallowed.

Answers to me by PM before 6pm 15th January please. If I get one entry this time, it'll be an improvement...
(edited - previously 8th January)
Last edited by GuyBarry on 07 Jan 2014, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Rare Entries meets Counting - 2

Post by tubeguru »

*head desk*
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

How about using some intelligence? It's not as hard as you may think.

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I don't think it is "hard", I just can't be bothered to read through 600+ posts to find correct answers. You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that everyone is as obsessed with the counting thread as you obviously are.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

+1

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

greatkingrat wrote:I don't think it is "hard", I just can't be bothered to read through 600+ posts to find correct answers. You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that everyone is as obsessed with the counting thread as you obviously are.
There is a search facility on this forum. If you use search terms intelligently, the task is rendered much easier.

I'll give you one for free. Try searching for the word "beer" in the "Never-Ending Games" section. That took me considerably less time than tracking down Anders Limpar.

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

It occurs to me that maybe people are being put off entering this because the "Search" button doesn't appear to work. I recommend using the "Advanced Search" facility, which allows you to enter combinations of keywords as well as restricting by sub-forum or by author. As a simple example, you can get all the answers to (9) simply by entering "prime counting" (and weeding out a couple).

You'll need to be a bit more cunning for some of the others, but really it's a lot easier than some of the "regular" rare entries quizzes have been.

Just for clarification, I'll accept locomotives on (1). For (6) if the post contains the title of a song and an album then that's OK as well.

tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Depends what livery you are viewing the forum on, I am using the older subsilver scheme and the search button doesn't work, I need to swap to the prosilver livery if I need to do any searching.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

tangy wrote:Depends what livery you are viewing the forum on, I am using the older subsilver scheme and the search button doesn't work, I need to swap to the prosilver livery if I need to do any searching.
Does the "Advanced Search" link work? The way I see it, it's displayed below the "Search" button.

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

tangy wrote:Depends what livery you are viewing the forum on, I am using the older subsilver scheme and the search button doesn't work, I need to swap to the prosilver livery if I need to do any searching.
I didn't know that - that's an interesting development.

Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

It appears that on subsilver, the search button takes you to a link of the form

http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... s=bakerloo (which just redirects to the home page)
when it actually should be
http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/search ... s=bakerloo.
tubeguru wrote:Subsilver2 is gay.
And Neil did know :D
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well I'm on prosilver and the "search" button in the top right-hand corner simply takes me back to the index page. The "Advanced Search" link beneath it takes me through to a form which works OK.

If I switch to subsilver2, there's no "search" button on the home page, but a link marked "Search" which takes me through to a version of the same form. However, anything I enter seems to take me back to the index page. Very odd!

So if anyone still wants to enter the quiz, this is what you need to do: choose User Control Panel > Board Preferences > My Board Style and switch to "prosilver", then use the "Advanced Search" option on the home page (not the "Search" button). Because of all this confusion I'll extend the deadline by another week, so it's now 6pm Wednesday 15th January. Good luck!

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

And still nothing, with less than 36 hours to go. I'm beginning to think they're called rare entries quizzes because people rarely enter them :(

I'm not sure what I can do to make the quiz any easier short of posting all the answers. (2) is mainly U-boats and (4) is E-numbers. (8) is probably the trickiest - you might want to consider what types of business are likely to have numbers in the name (food establishments seem to be common). The rest can be done by a combination of common sense and ingenuity.

The deadline remains 6pm tomorrow, but I'm determined to have a winner this time. If there are still no submissions by the deadline then the winner will simply be the first person to send me a submission after then, even if it's completely wrong. Give it a go - it's only a load of numbers!

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

One entry now - whoopee! We're on a roll...

GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Well we've now reached the climax of this gripping contest. The sole entrant was greatkingrat, who took the novel approach of not looking up any of the answers in the counting thread, though he assures me that they're not completely random. Let's see how he got on. Just for fun I've included the actual entry for each of his guesses, as well as a list of all the answers to each question that I found. (There may well be others that I've missed.)

(1) a train or class of train (including locomotives). greatkingrat's answer: 507 (incorrect)
The BMW 507 was a roadster produced between 1956-59. Difficult to get that one on the rails.
Possible answers: Class 444 on SWT; Class 450 "Blue Desiro"; Class 455; Class 458; Class 466 Networker; Class 483 (1938 Tube Stock); 508 (odd coach on 455/7); locomotives 822 and 823; Union Pacific 844; D867 diesel locomotive; 928 Stowe; D1003 Western Pioneer; 1014 locomotive restoration project; D1017 Western Warrior

(2) a submarine. GKR: 781 (incorrect)
781 in Dewey Decimal Classification denotes general musical principles and forms. Such as in "Yellow Submarine", no doubt.
Possible answers: U-438; U-460; U-504; U-556; U-571 (fictional); U-582; USS Scorpion SSN 589; U-856; U-864; U-871

(3) a type of computer or calculating machine. GKR: 486 (incorrect)
486 AD is ten years after the fall of Rome. What a shame! If only they'd hung on for another ten years, the Romans might have invented the computer.
Possible answers: IBM 602 Calculating Punch; IBM 610 Auto-Point Computer; IBM 701; Atari 800; Elliott 803; Xerox 820

(4) a food additive. GKR: 836 (incorrect)
Steward 836 at the Download Festival 2011 became a small internet star due to his antics. I really don't think I'd want him in my food.
Possible answers: E516 (calcium sulphate); E622 (monopotassium glutamate); E640 (glycine); E904 (shellac); E938 (argon); E950 (acesulfame K); E954 (saccharin); E958 (glycyrrhizin)

(5) an outdoor sport other than (association) football. GKR: 501 (correct)
Brian Lara scored 501 not out for Warwickshire against Durham in 1994, the highest individual score in first-class cricket. Hurray! Will GKR emulate Lara's success from now on?
Other possible answers: 470 yards on a par 5 (golf); Hanif Mohammad run out for 499 (cricket); .525 Cincinnati Reds' winning percentage (baseball); Norm Van Brocklin's 554 yards (American football); .574 Mike Carp's slugging percentage (baseball); Tejaswini Sawant's 597 (shooting); Red Holzman's 613 wins (basketball); 949 Athletics (volleyball)

(6) a song or individual musical work (not an album). GKR: 933 (incorrect)
Take the first six prime numbers: 2 3 5 7 11 13. Insert 933 between each pair: 2 933 3 933 5 933 7 933 11 933 13. Concatenate to a single number: 29333933593379331193313. This number is prime. I tried setting it to music, but I don't think it'll catch on.
Possible answers: K.467 (Mozart's "Elvira Madigan" Concerto); 476 in Rolling Stone's top 500 ("I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner); 5:15 (on The Who's album Quadrophenia); 543 (start of "5-4-3-2-1" by Manfred Mann); 678 (part of "5-6-7-8" by Steps); 747 ("747 Strangers in the Night" by Saxon); 909 ("One After 909" by the Beatles); BWV 925 (Bach's Little Fugue in C); BWV 934 (Bach's Little Prelude in C Minor)

(7) a type of drink, or the manufacturer of a drink. GKR: 624 (incorrect)
624 = Last three digits of the STD code for the Isle of Man. Well they do brew beer on the Isle of Man I suppose. They also make something called Manx Spirit which pretends to be whisky.
Possible answers: Breckenridge 471 Small Batch IPA (beer); 612Brew (brewery); 667 Pinot Noir (wine); 901 Silver (tequila); 941 ml (amount of vodka); 989 (energy drink)

(8) a commercial business with the number in its name. GKR: 999 (incorrect)
999 is the emergency telephone number for the United Kingdom used to summon the Police, Ambulance, Fire Brigade and Coastguard services. Surprise surprise! Perhaps GKR thought they'd been privatised.
Possible answers: 463 Communications; 505 (video games publisher); Fly540; Laser558 (radio station); 5.7.9 (clothing retailer); 612Brew; 679 Artists (record label); 7-Eleven (convenience store); 826 National (tutoring company): 828 Chinese Takeaway; 848 Group (business services); 983 Bushwick's Living Room (bar in New York); Cafe 1001; Ten Thirteen Productions[*]; 1019 Cafe
[*]GKR posted this one himself just over two weeks ago. A bit of an own goal?

(9) a mathematical fact involving prime numbers. GKR: 719 (incorrect)
The A719 contains the "Electric Brae", south of Dunure, not far from Ayr, between Drumshrang and Knoweside. That's where cars appear to roll uphill, defying the laws of physics - almost the opposite of a mathematical fact. 719 is prime though.
Possible answers: 563 (Wilson prime); 593 ("good prime"); 641 (prime factor of Fermat number); 683 (Wagstaff prime); 769 (different prime when digits reversed); 821 (in prime quadruplet); 830 (sum of primes); 866 (sum of squares of primes); 933 (can be inserted between primes to create another); 947 (balanced prime); 953 (prime factor of 54321); 991 (permutable prime); 1021 (primorial prime)

(10) a national assembly or parliament. GKR: 650 (correct)
There are 650 elected Members of Parliament in the House of Commons. A late surge! The ayes have it at last.
Other possible answers: 535 (seats in US House of Representatives plus Senate); 538 (votes in US Electoral College); 651 (MPs in 1992-97 House of Commons); 659 (MPs in 1997-2005 House of Commons); 664 (members of the Assembly of the Union in Myanmar); House of Commons Early Day Motion 945

So that's two right answers and eight wrong ones. The rules don't specify how to score a wrong answer if no correct ones are submitted, so I can't calculate a score, but fortunately it doesn't matter as greatkingrat wins by default anyway. Well done!

Next up: "Rare Entries meets Tumbleweed" :D