Random 15 Championship 2013/14: Round 1

Zone 1, Alphabet, All Lines - discuss them here
tangy
Site Administrator

Re: Random 15 Championship 2013/14: Round 1

Post by tangy »

My route:

Ran down to the Central line to find a rather crowded platform and 11 minutes on the screen, I then thought, okay lets go to Bethnal and out east that way, so I switched platforms only to find the train sitting there was going back west, to White City, so jumped on. Not many of the other passengers that came down the escalator realised this... 2 minutes later the train was off over the rare crossover.

St Pauls ran to Mansion House only to find a train pull away on me, but it was only going to Tower. All the way out to Upton Park and U turn back to West Ham.

Ran to the JLE to find a train pulling away and the next in 5 minutes, not happy! Down to Canning Town, where I had a choice of which DLR station to do first, I chose Blackwall simply because the Lewisham bound train was in platform. Only to be greeted with 8 minutes for the U turn at Blackwall. Things got worse at LCY as the train I was on pulled in just as the other pulled away!

With the DLR now behind me, it was back onto the JLE to Waterloo to get SWT to Clapham Junction. I timed it well for a nice connection onto the SN train from platform 16, only to find it wasn't there, it had been binned! So over to platform 1 for the 1446 (for which the next train screen was still showing the 1400 arrival even though that had been and gone).

Glen joined me at this point and we both changed at West Brompton onto the District Line to ECt then down to the Picc. where we had differing, but similar, ideas. I bailed at HPC to get a bus to Marble Arch then a Central line to Holland Park.

I was initially going to U turn here and head back to NHG then thought hang on, I can get a bus to Ladbroke Grove, which is what I did. The bus arriving within 2 minutes. H&C to Padd. H&C then ran through the station to the other subsurface platforms and ran straight onto a train, only to rejoin the H&C again at Edgware Road.

Across to KX, up to H&I then 5 minutes wait for the NLL to take me to my finish at Caledonian Road & Barnsbury.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

So, the all important results, thanks to Mr. Chilcraft for the results video as the page in my bus spotting notebook where the results were collated is somehow missing, it was half hanging off as I kept folding the page as each challenger submitted their time. Then I went bus spotting with that same notebook on Sunday... lesson learnt for next time, use a notebook with the spiral at the top!

Anyway, as they say better late than not at all...

We had 10 challengers in 8 teams, so in reverse order:

8th: Andrew Baker: 04:38:18 finishing Ladbroke Grove
7th: Team Rhys: 04:14:10 finishing at Imperial Wharf
6th: Glen Bryant: 04:03:51 finishing at H&I
5th: Andrew Chilcraft: 04:00:09 finishing at Ladbroke Grove
3rd=: Nick Gardner: 03:42:05 finishing at Caledonian Road NLL**
3rd=: Tangy: 03:41:56 finishing at Caledonian Road NLL
2nd: Kev & Nozza 03:36:46 finishing at London City Airport
1st: Peter Smyth: 03:31:02 finishing at Caledonian Road NLL

**This was Nick Gardner's declared time but since it is impossible for two trains to arrive 9 seconds apart from the same direction (and certainly didn't happen when I was there). I can safely say Nick and myself arrived on the same train as each other, yet failed to recognise each other and this was only raised after the official results were read out! Therefore Nick and myself share 3rd place in this event.

League Table:

Peter Smyth: 12 points
Kevin Brown: 10 points
Damian Cook: 10 points
Tangy: 8 points
Nick Gardner: 8 points
Andrew Chilcraft: 6 points
Glen Bryant: 5 points
Rhys Jackson: 4 points
Rhys Benjamin: 4 points
Andrew Baker: 3 points

The results video is available to view via Facebook, for those that have it.

Thanks to all for taking part and to everyone who offered donations towards the prize pot at the end of the season, this is most welcome. Round 2 event is scheduled for November, which will either be Saturday 9th or 30th.

Signing off:
Tangy (The BERC).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

The Raven wrote:
Iain wrote:Do you mean westbound?
Sorry yes I mean Westbound
I never confuse them, especially on challenges :oops:
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Horrible, horrible, horrible.

We had to queue up on the escalator to the Liverpool Street Central line. 11 minutes westbound, no thank you, so we made the bonkers decision to run - yes, RUN - from Liverpool Street to Aldgate East. Rhys dragged me along and we made an Upton Park-bound train, having left out Liverpool Street. Up and over at Upton Park, then back to West Ham. Ran down to the JLE only to find no train for ages. We found Kev and Nozza going in the opposite direction and Peter on our train. At Canning Town Peter knew where he was going and made the Woolwich Arsenal train - and we did not. We then waited. And waited. And waited. Saw Glen. And went for Blackwall first - as we had an outside chance of managing to get the WA out of Blackwall. We took the gamble and it did not pay off. Back to Canning Town. And waited. And waited. And waited. And FINALLY got to London City Airport, where we did the double back. Back (again) to Canning Town and on to a Jubilee Line train. The Jubilee indicator board was quite terrible:

1 WEMBLEY PARK
2 STANMORE 9 mins
3 STANMORE 12 mins

At North Greenwich we sat for two minutes on the platform, going nowhere! Apparently, we were experiencing ripples from a Neasden problem. Eventually, we got to Waterloo, where we were defeated - you won the war. Ran down to the drain but missed it by an inch and had to wait FOUR MINUTES for another one. FOUR MINUTES!!!

At Bank, we did the St. Paul's double back. we had to wait two more minutes to get to St. Paul's but the St. Paul's double back worked. At Liverpool Street on the sub-surface, a bunch of plebs chanted out the name on the back of Rhys's shirt. Plebs.

Whitechapel change was good, aside from getting onto a Dalston Junction terminator, and, following an incident with a vending machine at Dalston Junction, we got to Highbury & Islington - where I shelled out £1.95 for a muffin!!

Thinking we may come in under four hours, we made a gamble to try to get the time down. We got of the NLL at West Hampstead and ran down to the Jubilee, where Rhys had a spectacular fall! We had to wait forever for a Jubilee line train. Desperately, we changed to the Met at Finchley Road - but it didn't come off. We ran Paddington --> Paddington (and saw Glen going the other way!) and did a cheekie selfie whilst waiting for the H&C. Got to Wood Lane, went to White City (sexy change!), Bond Street, Green Park, Earl's Court, squeezed onto a Wimbleware with a load of football fans in tow (SW6 derby) - but had to wait for 12 minutes to tick off the last station, Imperial Wharf.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

With an eleven min wait a run to AE sounds quite a good idea
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Times now added to Explorer Ticket:
http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubecha ... ndom15.htm

Tangy.