Counting - discussion thread

Games that go on and on and on and on and on and on and and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (and on)
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Counting - discussion thread

Post by GuyBarry »

I hope Tubeguru doesn't mind if I open a separate thread for comments on the counting game. This is here so that you can comment on any issues arising from that thread without disrupting the sequence of posts. It is NOT meant for general chit-chat on other things!

First of all, thanks very much to Tubeguru for getting the game going again - obviously there were a few teething troubles, but I think that once the new rules are firmly bedded down there shouldn't be any significant further problems with it. The topics are becoming more diverse and I'd like to compliment all the other players on their interesting contributions. Thanks also to The Orange One (aka all545londonbuses) for his correction regarding Doctor Who/Torchwood.

Regarding the Mozart piano concerto mentioned (K. 467), it became known as the "Elvira Madigan" concerto after the use of the slow movement in the 1967 Swedish film of the same name.

Should there be some way of challenging if another player believes the information to be wrong? At the moment there's nothing to stop someone from writing something like "the distance from London to Edinburgh is 473 miles" if they want to. I try to make a point of including links to sources in my posts, not just so the information can be verified but also so that the curious can find out more.
Last edited by GuyBarry on 31 Jul 2013, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Undefeated Tumbleweed champion, Oct 2015

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Counting - discussion thread

Post by tubeguru »

GuyBarry wrote:Should there be some way of challenging if another player believes the information to be wrong? At the moment there's nothing to stop someone from writing something like "the distance from London to Edinburgh is 473 miles" if they want to. I try to make a point of including links to sources in my posts, not just so the information can be verified but also so that the curious can find out more.
Yeah - you can all argue about it in here!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Good idea. Incidentally, I see they're playing a similar game on the QI Forum - but they're only up to 339!

Inventor of Grumbleweed, Nimbleweed, Timesnap, Postsnap and several other silly games
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

Postscript to RobbieM's remarks about the telephone system in Hull (taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCOM_Group)

On 22 August 1902, Hull Corporation (which later became Hull City Council) was granted a licence under the Telegraph Act 1899 to operate a municipal telephone system in the Kingston upon Hull area, opening its first telephone exchange on 28 November 1904 at the former Trippett Street Baths.

At the time, there were a number of such municipal telephone companies around the UK, all of which – with the exception of the one in Hull – were gradually absorbed into the Post Office Telephone department, which was subsequently to become British Telecom (BT).

Hull's bid to renew its licence in 1914 was made conditional on the £192,000 purchase of National Telephone Company infrastructure in the city. The council gave its approval, securing the future of the country's only remaining municipally owned telephone corporation.

The first Rotary automatic exchange opened in 1922, and from 1934 Strowger exchanges were installed. Rotary and Strowger exchanges were operated to 1975 and 1988 respectively, and two Crossbar exchanges to 1989, when the network became fully digital.

Hull has therefore remained an exception within the UK telephone network, being the only place in the UK not served by BT and is noted for its distinctive cream coloured telephone boxes and innovative services, for example becoming the UK's first fully digital network in 1989 using Marconi System X telephone switches (Central Offices or Class 5 switches).

The Company was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1999.

Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

It seems I am more adapted to destroying the counting thread than taking part ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Sam wrote:It seems I am more adapted to destroying the counting thread than taking part ;)
Vandal.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

GuyBarry wrote:Bear with me on this one:
1/3 = 0.33333333333... The repeating part is 3, and 3 divides 3. When does this next happen?
1/487 = 0.00205338809034... The repeating part is too long to write out, but 487 divides into it.
The only other number for which this property is known is 56598313.
I do wonder though, who on earth worked these obscure facts out, and precisely, just WHY?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The trouble is that it takes so long to make a post that someone else has nipped in first.

Member of sweet FA
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

You need to get your facts prepared in advance like I do :wink:

RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

And me, but I still managed to miss 490 whilst researching train times around the Kingston-Upon-Hull area...
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Good idea to have some numbers in your head and stop posting when you are approaching them.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Orange One - you should be taking 493 right now, surely?
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I missed 493. This is only temporary though.

On the buses theme, I'm hoping for 521, 549 and 607. Also hoping for 507, but on a different theme entirely.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
GuyBarry
The Twilight Zone

Post by GuyBarry »

I try to have something prepared for every number that could come up, although some of the provisional entries are a lot better than others. You should be relieved that 478 Days in a Hotel Bathroom never made it into the actual game :roll:

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Tractakid's 514 was not an "invalid" post. The rules do not say that the explanation/info on each number has to be correct.

He mentioned 514, so it was valid.

So, to recap - posts cannot be invalid if the information about them is wrong. A post is only invalid if it breaks one of the rules.

Member of sweet FA