Who Are You? Tell Us!

Got anything to say that's not about the Tube? Say it here!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Who Are You? Tell Us!

Post by tubeguru »

My money's on Tory Boy.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Hi, I'm Hugo. I'm 17 years old and from Central London. I became interested in tube challenging when my school ran - well let's call it a Random 6. We had to go around in pairs and visit six Zone 1 and 2 stations, given to us thirty seconds before we started. What nobody bothered to tell me, and about half of the others doing it, was that we could split up, which completely goes against normal Tube Challenge laws. I mean, imagine doing the FNC in a team of 11, with splitting allowed. We could do it one guy per line (though probably send Circle, W&C & H&C to do others) Still, me and my partner came in at 1 hour 45 minutes, 20 minutes behind the winners (who split up, sending one person to do Arsenal, Highbury and Islington and Angel and the other to do Marble Arch, Barbican and St Paul's), and 30 seconds before another splitting team (we left Marble Arch for Camden Town, where we end the challenge, on the same train, but took a gamble at Oxford Circus, went to Warren Street and caught a bus).

My "catch all buses in London" effort is completely separate.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

School running a tube challenge? Interesting!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
SquadronLeadereggbox
Zone 1

Post by SquadronLeadereggbox »

tractakid wrote:Would this be a Rhys? If so, Jackson or Benjamin? Welcome to the forum. Have you done any challenges so far?
No, The leader of the our team is Sam (mrredrunner100). We have had two attempts but due to miscommunication with our support group no full completions (yet :D )
Per Ardua ad Astra
On the rails. In the skies. Find me. Take me on a Journey.
Endeavor to succeed.
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

Hi everyone, I'm Leam and a very big transport buff... I currently live in Sydney, but from the 28th of this month; I'm going to be moving to the UK for two years and living in Lowestoft as I begin my new job as a primary school teacher. I actually found out about all of this through Youtube, and have basically become hooked on the tube challenge as I've always been interested in the London Underground. As I've said... I'm a primary school teacher and have been teaching since May of this year. Away from work and transport, I enjoy reading, playing games, spending time with my friends and family, sports, basically normal things that you would expect from someone who has spent the last 25 years living with parents.

I'm also part of a group in Sydney called "Sydney Public Transport Challenges" and much like this, we do a range of challenges around the Sydney transport network. The majority of our challenges are train-based as we began as a train challenge group, but have since branched out to all public transport in Sydney. We have an All-Stations Challenge, and our network has 176 stations. We also have a lite challenge, an alphabetical challenge and a Westfield challenge (we have 13 Westfield centres). I also run a blog site at http://sydneytrainschallenges.wordpress.com/ which outlines my challenges as part of the group and is also has a bit of information on the group and the challenges. As I've been working a lot and planning my move to the UK, the site needs a little bit of a revamp, which I'm working on.

I look forward to being part of the forums here and hopefully during a school holiday period while I'm in the UK, that I can have a go at the challenge, just to see if I can do it. I'm not one to set records but to do challenges like this and the Sydney one (which I've done 5 times) just for the fun of it.
Leam Mark Farrar
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Welcome Leam :D If you have any free Saturday's you are most welcome to join us for the Random 15 Championship.. We have 6 events throughout the year and the next one is 17th Jan.... You will find details on the R15 in alternative chat
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Welcome Leam!

Have you got a route for a full network of the tube yet? :D
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
leamfarrar
Zone 3

Post by leamfarrar »

Iain wrote:Welcome Leam!

Have you got a route for a full network of the tube yet? :D
Not yet. I'm just looking at the 3D maps of the stations at the moment and seeing how everything connects with each other. I don't get much time between arriving and working, so I've got about 6-7 weeks to do some planning before I've got a week's holiday, where I might be able to take on a challenge.

It's great to be part of this group and received such a nice welcome :)
Leam Mark Farrar
DavidC
Zone 6

Post by DavidC »

Hello. I'm DavidC and, er, my first name is David and my surname begins with C. So, no points for originality. I have been travelling on the tube for roughly half a century (cue witty comments about long delays) and the key stations for significant portions of my life have been Warwick Avenue and Aldgate East. I have browsed the forum in the past but diamond geezer's recent all-lines blog post encouraged me to return. Indeed, last Friday I decided to have a trivial initial dabble after work without much forethought and achieved 1:01:20 (a theoretical 40th place), but it wasn't a serious attempt (as the time shows !) and the fortunate timing of the change of direction at Barbican to achieve the northern cut-and-cover hat-trick based on starting from Liverpool Street was luck rather than skill. I'm not into running, and the heart of the rush hour (1730-1830) meant some missed connections too because of crowded platforms and passageways. Anyway, hopefully I'll get a better all-lines time at some point but I'm probably not going to be a serious challenger for the challenges generally.

DavidC
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

DavidC wrote:Hello. I'm DavidC and, er, my first name is David and my surname begins with C. So, no points for originality. I have been travelling on the tube for roughly half a century (cue witty comments about long delays) and the key stations for significant portions of my life have been Warwick Avenue and Aldgate East. I have browsed the forum in the past but diamond geezer's recent all-lines blog post encouraged me to return. Indeed, last Friday I decided to have a trivial initial dabble after work without much forethought and achieved 1:01:20 (a theoretical 40th place), but it wasn't a serious attempt (as the time shows !) and the fortunate timing of the change of direction at Barbican to achieve the northern cut-and-cover hat-trick based on starting from Liverpool Street was luck rather than skill. I'm not into running, and the heart of the rush hour (1730-1830) meant some missed connections too because of crowded platforms and passageways. Anyway, hopefully I'll get a better all-lines time at some point but I'm probably not going to be a serious challenger for the challenges generally.

DavidC
Hi David and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure Tangy will add your time to the list shortly!

You've said that you don't think you'll be a serious challenger, but the offer is there to come along to any of the challenge meetups, mainly the 'Random 15', should you so desire.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

As I've been lurking for a little while...

I'm Richard, I live in Reading and have had doing a FNC on my bucket list for a while but hadn't managed to come up with a decent route. However some trouble with my knees a while back made me realise if I don't get it done soon I may never do it .I had hoped to go up and do a recce run of the more northerly bits (Walthamstow, Cockfosters, Edgware) today but my knees were playing up again :-(

Provisionally I'm looking at having a go sometime around 18th June but it does depend on the state of my knees/running and how much recce I've got done by then.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

quite a few peoples knees here are knackered so u not alone in that respect some of us deal with the pain better than others though!.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

On the plus side I managed to run West Ruislip-Ickenham, North Harrow- Rayner's Lane, Northwick Park - Kenton and do several high-speed changes in the Elephant & Castle/Southwark area on the morning of the last R15, do R15 in the afternoon and some more short runs/high speed changes afterwards but by the end of the day my last two test running legs (testing what may be a crucial shortcut) had to be done at walking pace, and i could barely manage that speed the following morning! - and of course, that doesn't include Cockfosters or Edgware/Canons Park....
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
crypto
Zone 2

Post by crypto »

Hey guys! James from Banbury here. I've had a simmering interest in trains and the underground since childhood. About a year ago, I found Geoff's "Secrets of the Underground" series, which lead me to finding out about the challenge. Recently, I've been learning Python (programming language) and I'm sure something like this is the sort of project I could obsess myself with, especially being a long time maths nerd.
xcooler123
Zone 5

Post by xcooler123 »

I should also properly introduce myself... Hi my name is David, I am 22 and I currently reside in Shropshire (not ideal for Tube Challenges but there we are). I am just about to start a Masters in Automotive Engineering. I have been interested in the Full Network Challenge for a number of years but have recently started on trying out some of the alternative challenges (and the only person as far as I am aware to complete a SLAM). I also like running (which I am getting better at) and darts (which I am not). Trying to get ready for a Full Network Challenge attempt but something called life keeps getting in the way...
David
5 x FNC attempts, Best Tine - 17:25:11 (Comic Relief 2017)
20 x R15, Best Time - 02:02:46
2017/18 & 2018/19 R15 Champion
4 x Alternative Challenge Records (LO, Z1&2, SofT & Compass)